Sponsored

Great Jeep Buying Experience - Criswell

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yeah I’ve heard that you can have sold orders sent to any dealer now, but in the past I’ve definitely been told I had to fly all the way to dealers on the other side of the state to close the deal.
I think it depends on where your dealer is?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This forum has a very different perspective than Yelp reviewers on this dealership. Always good when things go smoothly, though.

@DadWagon Did Criswell take delivery to their dealership then ship it or was the destination directly to Honolulu? (didn't know that was possible)

@CT_LFC what came out of the tax situation with DMV?
They had it shipped to Hawaii. They collected Hawaii sales tax, and then had to send a check back because evidently they are required to collect the tax. I discussed it for a while with Julius, it was a bit convoluted, but I end up even.

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
They had it shipped to Hawaii. They collected Hawaii sales tax, and then had to send a check back because evidently they are required to collect the tax. I discussed it for a while with Julius, it was a bit convoluted, but I end up even.
So you just had to pay the HI destination fees? Or were there other charges? Be surprised to see other charges with TL

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara
@DadWagon, fellow Coastie here! :fist bump: Hoping to get to Hawaii one day, but we'll see. Enjoy your time there!

I'm really curious about your shipping situation as well. I got a quote from Criswell but I'm in Louisiana. I'd fly there and drive it back if it's worth it, but if shipping is an option and isn't stupid expensive, I may go that route. What was their doc fee? So far LA dealers have been pretty unresponsive.

Also, I think it was you who mentioned on another thread that Navy Federal offers lower rates for senior enlisted. Was it lower than their rates advertised online? I was planning to use USAA but may go with Navy Federal if they can beat it. With excellent credit, USAA is at 3.14 right now if you use their car buying service (I already signed up) and finance through them.

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
So you just had to pay the HI destination fees? Or were there other charges? Be surprised to see other charges with TL
No, did not pay Hawaii destination, although I think this may be a mistake on their end. They originally had me pay Maryland destination and they changed the destination with FCA after it was ordered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@DadWagon, fellow Coastie here! :fist bump: Hoping to get to Hawaii one day, but we'll see. Enjoy your time there!

I'm really curious about your shipping situation as well. I got a quote from Criswell but I'm in Louisiana. I'd fly there and drive it back if it's worth it, but if shipping is an option and isn't stupid expensive, I may go that route. What was their doc fee? So far LA dealers have been pretty unresponsive.

Also, I think it was you who mentioned on another thread that Navy Federal offers lower rates for senior enlisted. Was it lower than their rates advertised online? I was planning to use USAA but may go with Navy Federal if they can beat it. With excellent credit, USAA is at 3.14 right now if you use their car buying service (I already signed up) and finance through them.
This is my third tour here, my two previous were back to back (Jarvis, Sector). Love it here, probably will retire on the island and stay here!

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
This is my third tour here, my two previous were back to back (Jarvis, Sector). Love it here, probably will retire on the island and stay here!
300 Maryland doc fee, that’s it. Hit up Julius, he’s the best. He’s busy but I’m definitely satisfied. Seems like a great dude.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 Maryland doc fee, that’s it. Hit up Julius, he’s the best. He’s busy but I’m definitely satisfied. Seems like a great dude.
That's an amazing deal! Patrick is who sent me a quote from there, but both of them are highly recommended on here. I'll definitely ask him about shipping it down to me then since it didn't cost you anything extra. I didn't even think that would be an option, but if so, it's likely a done deal for me.

I'm at D8 in New Orleans and it's getting less and less likely I'll have a chance to be stationed in Hawaii, but I'm sure it's incredible. Good luck with the new job and thanks for all the Jeep info!

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
That's an amazing deal! Patrick is who sent me a quote from there, but both of them are highly recommended on here. I'll definitely ask him about shipping it down to me then since it didn't cost you anything extra. I didn't even think that would be an option, but if so, it's likely a done deal for me.

I'm at D8 in New Orleans and it's getting less and less likely I'll have a chance to be stationed in Hawaii, but I'm sure it's incredible. Good luck with the new job and thanks for all the Jeep info!
From the sounds of it they recommend a shipping company and you pay for the shipping on your own terms but the destination from factory is to the dealership you purchased with. I called and talked to Pat and that's what he said.

Not sure how DadWagon's situation played out...seems odd. He did mention having to pay a delivery fee but didn't mention the cost of it.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What DadWagon used is called courtesy delivery, it's usually done when a company makes a fleet purchase from one location and then has it shipped to another (partially multiple locations, if multiple cars?). Both the originating dealer and destination dealer have to agree to it, and the destination dealer seems to usually charge for it (because otherwise they only get a small payment for doing post delivery inspection).

From what I read on the internet, most dealers straight up refuse to deal with it. I imagine that's because they want that sweet sales money lol.

I was perhaps a bit too interested in DadWagon's situation and looked at his other posts (sorry man!) That's a pretty neat option! That said, the closest two dealers are 1. not answering my email and 2. playing really dumb (hasn't even attempted to produce an order sheet yet! and thinks my inquiry about courtesy delivery was to have the car delivered from them to my house lol)

Sponsored

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the sounds of it they recommend a shipping company and you pay for the shipping on your own terms but the destination from factory is to the dealership you purchased with. I called and talked to Pat and that's what he said.

Not sure how DadWagon's situation played out...seems odd. He did mention having to pay a delivery fee but didn't mention the cost of it.
Hmmm. Okay. I’ll be calling them soon. Have you priced out shipping with a company they recommended? I wonder how you’d be covered if something happened while it was in transit with some other company. My guess is that would be worked out with the company.

I just went to my local dealer to test drive a 2.0 Turbo and figured I’d have them give me a quote since I was there anyway. I was totally transparent with the salesman and told him I already had a quote at 8% under invoice. He ran the numbers for me and came back all excited, telling me they could match it. Then he presented me an offer at 8% below MSRP. When I told him that was MSRP and I was talking invoice, he left, cane back a few minutes later and said “we’ll, that’s our invoice.” Then he tried to BS me with other bad info and told me Criswell would charge me an extra $3K when I went to pick it up. He also kept talking only to my husband even though my husband was quiet and kept telling him it was my Jeep and my deal.

I thanked him for his time and left. :CWL:

This is why people don’t trust car salesmen!

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Hmmm. Okay. I’ll be calling them soon. Have you priced out shipping with a company they recommended? I wonder how you’d be covered if something happened while it was in transit with some other company. My guess is that would be worked out with the company.

I just went to my local dealer to test drive a 2.0 Turbo and figured I’d have them give me a quote since I was there anyway. I was totally transparent with the salesman and told him I already had a quote at 8% under invoice. He ran the numbers for me and came back all excited, telling me they could match it. Then he presented me an offer at 8% below MSRP. When I told him that was MSRP and I was talking invoice, he left, cane back a few minutes later and said “we’ll, that’s our invoice.” Then he tried to BS me with other bad info and told me Criswell would charge me an extra $3K when I went to pick it up. He also kept talking only to my husband even though my husband was quiet and kept telling him it was my Jeep and my deal.

I thanked him for his time and left. :CWL:

This is why people don’t trust car salesmen!
I haven't priced anything out yet, no. I have looked at Jay's order guide for the 2020's though, but don't know much more about each individual dealer fees/doc fees etc.

Completely agree about the salesperson comment. I've had the worst experiences so I prefer to deal over email/phone and 90% of dealerships hate it....those are the ones I avoid.

OP
OP
DadWagon

DadWagon

First Name
Matthew Couling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Yes, I do have to pay a courtesy delivery fee locally. Totally worth it though because I’m still coming out way ahead.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Red 2 Door Soft Top - had 1997 TJ & 2016 JK also own 2019 Grand Cherokee overland
Patrick Mantua email is = [email protected]

Just ordered my JL 7/5 from Patrick, only took a few hours sent my build and he sent price with 8% under invoice (13.2% off MSRP) and paperwork for deposit and signature and bam it was that easy. Ordered it to match my old 1997 TJ I had - 2020 Red, 2 door, Rubicon, Soft Top, Manual, LED, 8.4 screen, plus some.

Meanwhile my local dealer acted like reducing the price by dealer add-ons and below MSRP on the only manual jeep on the lot that was not the color I wanted was going to make them lose money - nope only losing sales.

I don't mind flying to MD and driving my manual back to Charleston, SC since I am looking forward to the trip and the longest test driver ever.

Criswell A++
Sponsored