Sponsored

Great Again: CAFE Being Dismantled!

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The Trump administration unveiled its proposal to weaken Obama-era fuel economy standards Thursday.
A 2012 rule imposed under the Obama administration put automakers to task to drastically improve fuel economy. By 2025, passenger cars were required to achieve an average of 54 miles per gallon. However, a joint publication by the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Transportation freezes rules requiring automakers to build greener, more fuel-efficient cars.

The new proposal, in its current form, would set the average fuel economy standard to 37 miles per gallon by 2021. As of January 2018, the average fuel economy of U.S. cars and trucks stood around 25 miles per gallon.

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and acting EPA administrator Andrew Wheeler penned a column published in the Wall Street Journal Wednesday, prior to the announcement. Entitled “Make Cars Great Again“, they contended high fuel efficiency standard levied an undue burden on consumers. Wheeler wrote that the 2012 standards would “impose significant costs on American consumers and eliminate jobs”. Furthermore, the current proposal would “give consumers greater access to safer, more affordable vehicles, while continuing to protect the environment.”

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/08/fuel-economy-rollback-moves-forward/

:party:
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Wow, I have to baby my motorcycle to get 30mpg out of it. 37 seems pretty good to me.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I get about 42-54mpg out of my FZ1, but I know the emissions are worse than a car.

So with emissions, it would be very impressive to see 37mpg let alone 54mpg average.

I think they expect us to drive electric, but how does that help if they are charging from a system that uses 80% coal to generate the electricity?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
All our kids can deal with the fallout of a 5C global temperature rise.

Sponsored

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we know where this thread is headed. Just a matter of time before it's shut down, started by a Canadian, no less! :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
All our kids can deal with the fallout of a 5C global temperature rise.
Well, I just can't get how some who are worried about climate change seem to have no worry at all about the deficit. Of course, when they jet around on gas guzzling private planes, preaching the evils of fossil fuels and SUV's, I guess I shouldn't expect any consistency in worries about various sky is falling scenarios.

Also, those who used to strip naked, paint themselves, and sing songs against nuclear power, are now among its biggest advocates. I'm just trying to figure out what happened. Did the effects of the drugs finally wear off, or is this the actual long term impact of said drugs?

People watching gets more interesting as you age and get more of a birds-eye view. .

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I found the vegan!
Whatever our perspectives, in the end, we have a love of Jeeps in common around here, so I can respect a wide range of diverse opinions. Everybody has reasons for their point of view. Besides, my own opinions aren't worth enough to harm a friendship or a bond with someone. I've lived long enough to have been wrong more often than most people around this forum, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Whatever our perspectives, in the end, we have a love of Jeeps in common around here, so I can respect a wide range of diverse opinions. Everybody has reasons for their point of view. Besides, my own opinions aren't worth enough to harm a friendship or a bond with someone. I've lived long enough to have been wrong more often than most people around this forum, or anywhere else, for that matter.
Onerous CAFE standards not based in reality make Jeeps more expensive for everybody and mean fewer people can enjoy them.

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Onerous CAFE standards not based in reality make Jeeps more expensive for everybody and mean fewer people can enjoy them.
And Fewer MEAN people. ;)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of CAFE, but it isn't hurting Jeep sales. They are selling every one they can make, as it is. CAFE isn't responsible for the price increases JL's have seen a few times since they began selling them. Hot demand for a great product gets credit for that.
Sponsored