Sponsored

Great… garage door open and Subaru is gone… look! UPDATED WITH FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I walked out of my house into the garage, the garage door is open and my subaru is gone!!!! Look!!!

C27D306F-2635-4436-9DF9-31CCA6E49E8F.jpeg

Okay, I've got first 50 mile impressions...

I got the 2.0. First, I read a lot of people saying, "the 2.0 with the 8 speed auto is so smooth!!" I wouldn't say it's smooth. It's pretty clunky shifting, and it seems to always clunk when down shifting just before coming to a stop. Maybe this is normal and I've just been driving a CVT in the Subaru too long. Obviously a CVT is MUCH smoother "shifting".

Second, the wandering thing, it's not too bad. It's definitely more than my Subaru. But, I have chunkier tires and wouldn't expect it to drive completely straight with just letting go of the steering wheel.

Third, the engine does sound like a vacuum cleaner. Tommy from TFL is right, that turbo sounds like a vacuum. haha It's also really loud when starting it up. Much more so than I'd expect from a little 4 banger.

Fourth, why did I pay so much more for a vehicle with no blind spot detection, no adaptive cruise, no power sunroof, no auto up power windows, no LED headlights?? Oh yeah, because THIS VEHICLE IS AWESOMER! I'm only 50 miles in but I really like it. I'm excited to see what adventures I'll be taking in it!

Any questions you have about the 2.0 JLUR, ask away!
Picked up mine in September and I noticed the steering was wondering ever so slightly. Check the tire pressure and all were set to 42 PSI. Dropped to 36 and that did improve things a bit. Still not the same as our BMW X3, but I didn’t expect it to be either.
Have fun on the trails!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Lowering the PSI in the tires was a good start. AT and MT tires take a few hundred miles to break in before that squirmy feeling goes away. I notice it every time I get new tires.

The transmission has adaptive learning and the shifts will get better, again give it a few hundred miles or so.

The 2.0 was highly praised for its smoothness when it was equipped with eTorque, which they inexplicably took away. My sister has a JLU with a 2.0, I’m impressed with it.

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Congratulations on the new ride!

It's pretty clunky shifting, and it seems to always clunk when down shifting just before coming to a stop. Maybe this is normal and I've just been driving a CVT in the Subaru too long. Obviously a CVT is MUCH smoother "shifting".
It gets better once it breaks in a bit. My 2021 2.0 had its 8hp transmission fluid under-filled from factory. I bought a quart of the OEM fluid and topped it off myself according to the ZF factory procedure. This coupled with the break-in made the shifting smoother. It still does not shift as smoothly as my friend's outback XT but much better than when I first got it.

Second, the wandering thing, it's not too bad. I did drop them to 36 from 44 at the dealer. It's definitely more than my Subaru. But, I have chunkier tires and wouldn't expect it to drive completely straight with just letting go of the steering wheel.
I did the steering box adjustment on mine (tightened it by 1/8 of a turn) and its tightened it up a bit compared to factory. Still not as nice as rack and pinion cars but definitely livable.

Fourth, why did I pay so much more for a vehicle with no blind spot detection, no adaptive cruise, no power sunroof, no auto up power windows, no LED headlights?? Oh yeah, because THIS VEHICLE IS AWESOMER! I'm only 50 miles in but I really like it. I'm excited to see what adventures I'll be taking in it!
Agree 100%. Compared to your Subaru, you will NEVER be torque-limited(oh boy I hate that CVT in off road steep climb situations...). It just feels so safe and controlled to off-road in the Jeep where you can crawl over things rather than having to use momentum to send it over everything due to lack of torque.

The surprising thing with the 2.0 is that if you drive carefully, the mileage won't be too much worse than an OB XT with AT tires. When I go with my friend, I would get 22 mpg and he would get ~24mpg on the freeway. It's virtually a tie when on the trails.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Nice Wrangler, congratulations welcome and enjoy.

All the 2.0s are noisy when cold. Mine has always been really smooth though, almost no vibration at any RPM, and it has never been clunky shifting gears. As others have stated give it a little time.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
”Sounds like a vacuum cleaner“ is a perfect description. One of the first things I crushed was my tailpipe under the bumper. Had a gap to cross that was a bit wide and the rear of my Jeep dragged a touch. Rather than opening the outlet just to crush it again, I relocated my pipe and got a more aggressive muffler. Now my Jeep sounds like a vacuum cleaner without its bag. It’s almost embarrassing to step into passing gear and instead of a rumble, it sounds like you got the Electrolux out….. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Nice ride mate!

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Just checked my garage.... Damn, we are infested.... Please let me know how you rectified your "Subaru" situation.
Jeep Wrangler JL Great… garage door open and Subaru is gone… look! UPDATED WITH FIRST IMPRESSIONS IMG_1643

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
It gets better once it breaks in a bit. My 2021 2.0 had its 8hp transmission fluid under-filled from factory. I bought a quart of the OEM fluid and topped it off myself according to the ZF factory procedure. This coupled with the break-in made the shifting smoother.

I did the steering box adjustment on mine (tightened it by 1/8 of a turn) and its tightened it up a bit compared to factory.

Agree 100%. Compared to your Subaru, you will NEVER be torque-limited(oh boy I hate that CVT in off road steep climb situations...).
Yes!!!! The Subaru was always having to race over obstacles!!! I’m sure I needed to shocks because after driving the Jeep for 50 miles, I notice it is much smoother over railroad tracks! Hah Speed kills… shocks. I’ll have to look into the transmission fluid thing, I’ve never done that before but I should learn how to check it.

OP
OP
hiimmike

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Just checked my garage.... Damn, we are infested.... Please let me know how you rectified your "Subaru" situation.
Jeep Wrangler JL Great… garage door open and Subaru is gone… look! UPDATED WITH FIRST IMPRESSIONS IMG_1643
To be honest, the Subaru is a great car if you don’t lift it. That’s when all my headaches began. I’d buy one again because it’s freaking amazing in the snow and did better than I’d ever have though off road. I’d like to get another one with the 2.4 turbo and have it be my wife’s car but she wants a new RAV4 hybrid. I’m down for that too with 40mpg city and 38 highway. That means I can do mods to the jeep to get poorer fuel economy and we’ll still be within budget for monthly auto expenses!

SLORubi

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2019 A4 S-line
My favorite part “run over stuff” hahah I asked the sales guy, “can we just drive over some curbs or something?” 🤣
This is a common question to the wife when leaving parking spaces: "Can I just drive forward?" Curbs, medians, landscaping… it’s all so tempting!

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
You can fix the headlights.....

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I walked out of my house into the garage, the garage door is open and my subaru is gone!!!! Look!!!

C27D306F-2635-4436-9DF9-31CCA6E49E8F.jpeg

Okay, I've got first 50 mile impressions...

I got the 2.0. First, I read a lot of people saying, "the 2.0 with the 8 speed auto is so smooth!!" I wouldn't say it's smooth. It's pretty clunky shifting, and it seems to always clunk when down shifting just before coming to a stop. Maybe this is normal and I've just been driving a CVT in the Subaru too long. Obviously a CVT is MUCH smoother "shifting".

Second, the wandering thing, it's not too bad. I did drop them to 36 from 44 at the dealer. It's definitely more than my Subaru. But, I have chunkier tires and wouldn't expect it to drive completely straight with just letting go of the steering wheel.

Third, the engine does sound like a vacuum cleaner. Tommy from TFL is right, that turbo sounds like a vacuum. haha It's also really loud when starting it up. Much more so than I'd expect from a little 4 banger.

Any questions you have about the 2.0 JLUR, ask away!
Sweet Hydro. I have one on order as I let my '21 Hella go in 2 weeks. 😫

Let me ask you this, did you drink the Subaru kool-aid?

I have a friend who has one (his 3rd one??) and won't shut up about it, always trying to get me to buy one and he's always buying shit for it. Almost as bad as frikken Jeep people. 🤣🤣

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Yes!!!! The Subaru was always having to race over obstacles!!! I’m sure I needed to shocks because after driving the Jeep for 50 miles, I notice it is much smoother over railroad tracks! Hah Speed kills… shocks. I’ll have to look into the transmission fluid thing, I’ve never done that before but I should learn how to check it.
Forgive me but somewhere I read the transmission controller has to learn the engagement speeds of each gear. It has default settings from the factory and those settings will fine tune in time.

Those that own Jeeps whose transmission shift points and engagement speeds are closer to the default settings will not notice a thing while those who own Jeeps where the default settings are slower/faster than needed will notice the variability. It takes “X” number of automatic up shifts and downshifts for it to fine tune. (Roughly 500 miles of driving)

Happy ownership!

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
My favorite part “run over stuff” hahah I asked the sales guy, “can we just drive over some curbs or something?” 🤣
Ehhhh. Khowww much for ehhh pussi magnet ? Yawzzzz 🤣

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Nice lookin' Jeep, Mike!
Sponsored