Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a true 35 in size (34.4) but seems to be filling the wheel well space much better than the 33s.

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 1663477393886
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Installed tailgate reinforcement bracket and spare tire relocation bracket. I got the Lantsun one from Amazon that basically the same thing as the Mopar one. Was able to clear 315/70/17 comfortably.

Observations on the first week. At full lock, the edge of the sidewall (those sidewall lugs) is ever so slightly rubbing on the LCAs (both sides). I noticed it as I was keenly looking for it.. and happens only in absolute full tight lock of steering. Nothing too concerning, but a bit annoying. I did expect worse rubbing so this is not a disaster.

Options to fix the LCA rub:
  • Upgrade to adjustable LCAs with an inward bend. Might help with the tire clearance and also increase caster (currently 5.0 and 5.4 left and right)
  • Add a single washer to the steering/turning lock bolt on both sides of the front axle. (Bad idea? How much turning radius is lost?)
Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 20220921_192210_edit

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 20220921_192256

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
How do you like the moose performance rails? I had a set of standard rails from a rubicon - and I like how they cover the entire pinch weld (so many aftermarket ones do not) that said I had to move back to my Sahara steps as I need an actual step to get boards on to my surf racks as well as leverage to get gear in and out of a Yakima box. I like how the molar performance rails extend to conceal the weld like the others, but curious if you feel sure footed in using as a functional step?

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
...I am making the compromise based on practicality and availability and going with C rated KO2s in 315/70/17 113/110T
Subash, after so much agonizing over the decision this is the tire I went with too, for a bunch of reasons - including weight at top of list. I liked the Nitto's but they're 10# heavier a corner. I just returned from my first real wheeling adventure in the San Juans (Colorado) and have to say I am very happy with the KO2's. They have held up great for 10K miles and done everything I've asked without complaint. I was a little concerned about the sharp rocks against those C-ply's, but not a single mark or problem. They're also great in the snow, coming soon. So sleep well - even though it might feel you compromised, you've got a great set of skins. Love your Jeep - great work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the moose performance rails? I had a set of standard rails from a rubicon - and I like how they cover the entire pinch weld (so many aftermarket ones do not) that said I had to move back to my Sahara steps as I need an actual step to get boards on to my surf racks as well as leverage to get gear in and out of a Yakima box. I like how the molar performance rails extend to conceal the weld like the others, but curious if you feel sure footed in using as a functional step?
They offer both the pinch weld protection that you get from Rubicon stock trails and have enough lip in the front to use as steps.
Don't expect the same comfortable height as Sahara step as they are set lower to aid getting in.. This one is way above the ground and takes some getting used to..

You can rest your whole Jeep on these rails, no problemo

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
They offer both the pinch weld protection that you get from Rubicon stock trails and have enough lip in the front to use as steps.
Don't expect the same comfortable height as Sahara step as they are set lower to aid getting in.. This one is way above the ground and takes some getting used to..

You can rest your whole Jeep on these rails, no proble
Subash, after so much agonizing over the decision this is the tire I went with too, for a bunch of reasons - including weight at top of list. I liked the Nitto's but they're 10# heavier a corner. I just returned from my first real wheeling adventure in the San Juans (Colorado) and have to say I am very happy with the KO2's. They have held up great for 10K miles and done everything I've asked without complaint. I was a little concerned about the sharp rocks against those C-ply's, but not a single mark or problem. They're also great in the snow, coming soon. So sleep well - even though it might feel you compromised, you've got a great set of skins. Love your Jeep - great work.
Thank you! That is very encouraging to hear. It has done well in the trails so far and felt that it had better grip on the washboards compared to the General Grabber. I do hate the rock throwing.. I'm going to jimmyrig the XR fender flair extensions onto my Sahara this month

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Apex AutoLYNX (@apexdesignsusa (Vendor) ) sway bar disconnects are in..
Took them for a spin on a moderately challenging trail. What a quality of life improvement this is !!!!! I had no idea that it would make such a difference in cross ditches and off camber situations. I no longer feel as if I'm going to roll over at every ditch.

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread Screenshot_20221017_085808

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New components installed:
  • SteerSmarts Yeti XD Tie Rod
  • SteerSmarts Yeti XD Drag Link
  • SteerSmarts JL Sector Shaft Brace
  • Mopar Rear Steel Bumper
  • JKS j-flex adjustable front lower control arms
Some of these were unplanned. My stock plastic bumper had taken a beating in a recent trip, and the left side was constantly rattling. It could have been just some plastic lining losing rivets, or it could be something else.. nevertheless, I wanted to move on to a steel bumper.

The steering components were unplanned, but two factors expedited their installation. My front end slid on hard-packed ice, and the tie rod landed badly on a log. Ever since then, there was this odd clunk sound when in full lock or accelerating under torsion. In another instance, under stress and with a wedged tire at the front end, I was slowly trying to crawl past that situation and put a lot of pressure on the steering, I heard a bunch of sounds that were not inspiring and instinctively felt I was stressing the sector shaft bracket / track bar.

Front adjustable LCAs were in the plan. I had cheaper out with mopar lift kit LCAs and the caster was not something I was happy with. To add to that, I had a slight rub at full lock at the LCA so I wanted something that had a pronounced inward bend to clear the tires.

After install @ Adams Off-road, Langley BC and subsequent alignment. These are my observations
  1. Steering is very tight even at 100+kmph (this has never been the case)
  2. No clunk from the front
Will update the post if I found something to be better or worse next time I hit the trails.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
2022 Recap

14 months into Jeep ownership, there is an unexplained change in how we perceive vacation, our idea of fun has evolved to something else, and making memories has become a habit. I guess this is what they mean by the Jeep Way of Life!

We are incredibly thankful for the experiences, adventures and abundant beauty across Canada. 2022 has been a truly unforgettable and transformational year for our family - and our Jeep had a pivotal part to play in that transformation.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New Year, thoughts/ideas on possible additions
  • Towards end of last year (winter) I found myself in situations where I had to drive in very dark conditions and the stock LED headlamps and fogs weren't helping much. I am going to start thinking about auxiliary lighting this year and address those shortcomings
  • Front trail camera, preferably mounted somewhere below the grill. Thinking about the front license plate as the mount location. I wheel alone often, and would like a better look at the clearance without getting my ass out in the rain/cold.
  • Storage is still a challenge esp for multi day trips. I am looking to find alternatives for fuel and water storage outside of the trunk. @TrailRax pakrax system would be the preferred route.
  • I love my @Lasfit AUX panel, but as an early bird I got their named/labelled switches. I have no idea what lights to map to what as they were going for something specific. @Lasfit - do you offer after sale fix for previous customers in the form of switch replacements etc?
  • Through shaft steering stabilizer. Just to complete the setup on steering components. The stock one has been fine, esp since the steering got stiffened up after SteerSmarts sector shaft brace.
  • To truss or not to truss - not sure about this one, and reluctant to put more money into the M186. I have had it re-geared and locked for a year now and touch-wood its been ok.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
January Updates

Installed auxiliary lights.
One set on the a-pillar cowl - Flood + Spot Combo Beam​
Another set of amber pods - Fog + Driving Combo Beam​
Lamin-X Amber stickers on top of stock LED fog lamps

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread IMG_20230201_205006_333

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 20230201_202000

Installed front trail camera

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread PXL_20230210_223655710
Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread PXL_20230210_223340686
Sponsored