Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Happened across your build page while searching for tire info. What site did this come from? Did you measure the parameters on the left yourself?

I was debating different similar-ish tire sizes for my stock Willys wheels: 285/70/17, 285/75/17, 295/70/17, 35x11.5. Wouldn't want to deal with trying something as wide or heavy as 315s. I have take-off Rubicon suspension/fenders but the stock Sport axles, and wanted to see if I could figure out any potential clearance issues.

I haven't seen many complaints about 285/70 or 285/75 width (rubi take-off width), but I saw in general 295/70 is (10mm) .4" wider, and 35x11.5 is .3" wider than the 285s. Of those, in particular most looking at the Toyo AT3 on 285/75/17/C (33.9"x 11.3", 59lbs on tiresize.com) and 35x11.5"/C (34.5"x11.4", 63lbs).
Jeep Wrangler 2020 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

The link in that above post is the website those data came from. I selected the stock Sahara config listed on that site and compared that to the eventual setup I was building towards.

Given that you have a decent lift height and the high fenders, I am sure you are on stock Willys Moab rims (which IMO are amazing-looking wheels), and you are worried about the clearance to suspension components at full lock?
A tire that is, say 0.4" wider would need 0.2" clearance on the inner side. If you are already on 285/70/17 you can run your finger where the tire is nearest to LCA at full lock and get a feel of whether there is at least half an inch of clearance. If you are on the stock tire, you can ask a friend on the forum who has Rubi takeoff-s on sport Sahara to do this assessment for you.

My scenario is a bit different from stock rims as I have a +30 offset wheel that accounts for the lost axle width clearance compared to Rubicon; hence I was confident 11.5" wide is going to be easy street as I can somewhat fit 315s too
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 1660260012852
\

@blink9cd - use that above option as your stock then pick one on the right for comparison.. I made a comparison for you assuming you are using stock rim. See below link

Rubicon take off's comparison to Willy's stock - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

35x11.5R17 on stock rims vs Willys stock - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com
Scroll down to see these details
Tire is ³⁄₄" closer to suspension components. Make sure that you have enough room for that. If not, consider lower offset, narrower tires, or using spacers
- so if you are on stock willys tires, you need to have about an inch more to spare on full lock to LCA

Negative scrub radius (about -¹¹⁄₃₂"). Scrub radius will be changed by -¹¹⁄₃₂", this may affect the car's handling. Please check manufacturer recommendations. Please be aware that calculated value is approximate.
- its not too drastic, its not like you are going -18 with poke :D

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Planned future upgrades:
  • 34" (285/75/17) or 35" (35x11.5/17) tire size
  • Tailgate hinge re-inforcement. Morryde metal hinge.
  • Spare tire mounted carrier for maxxtrax and 3-5lb propane tank.
  • Mud flaps or fender flare extensions (it pains me to see the number of paint chips from rocks)
  • Some decal ideas for the side and doors.
  • Neoprene seat covers (pending install)

Most of the build was done by the amazing and friendly people @ West Coast Off-roaders in north Vancouver, BC
West Coast Off-Roaders | 4x4 Suspension & Truck Builds (westcoastoffroaders.com)
Good, was going to say that 4.56 gearing is pretty low for 33 inch tires and recommend you move up to 35s in the form of 315/70.

Great build, nice to see the Jeep being used for what it was intended🍻

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good, was going to say that 4.56 gearing is pretty low for 33 inch tires and recommend you move up to 35s in the form of 315/70.

Great build, nice to see the Jeep being used for what it was intended🍻
I ordered the tires - Toyo OC AT3 35x11.5R17
there was a huge wait time as that specific size is made in Japan and not in USA. As of last week its on a ship somewhere from Japan to the US :D

My install appointment is 2nd week of September. Looking forward to it 👍

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Jeep Wrangler 2020 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

The link in that above post is the website those data came from. I selected the stock Sahara config listed on that site and compared that to the eventual setup I was building towards.

Given that you have a decent lift height and the high fenders, I am sure you are on stock Willys Moab rims (which IMO are amazing-looking wheels), and you are worried about the clearance to suspension components at full lock?
A tire that is, say 0.4" wider would need 0.2" clearance on the inner side. If you are already on 285/70/17 you can run your finger where the tire is nearest to LCA at full lock and get a feel of whether there is at least half an inch of clearance. If you are on the stock tire, you can ask a friend on the forum who has Rubi takeoff-s on sport Sahara to do this assessment for you.

My scenario is a bit different from stock rims as I have a +30 offset wheel that accounts for the lost axle width clearance compared to Rubicon; hence I was confident 11.5" wide is going to be easy street as I can somewhat fit 315s too
I can't believe I missed the link lol. Was too focused on the picture I guess. And yep, I really like the Willys wheels too so I don't really wanna give 'em up (or pay for others). I don't have 285/70/17s so I can't test myself -- I still have the stock Willys 255/75/17s.

I probably need a refresher on the offsets (still learning about wheels/tires), but we'll see if I understand it. You're a +30 offset vs stock +44, and that's in mm right? Thus 44-30=14, so you're 14mm farther out from the suspension. To inches that's a little over .5" you're pushed out vs stock, which means you can roughly consider a wheel up to 28mm/1.1" wider (x2) than the stock Rubi 285/70 (using that as my "base" since it's known as safe). Thus yeah a difference of .4" wider or so is no worry for you with the 35x11.5 wheels, which is why you're not concerned at all. And that's also why a 315/70 is possible for you, with a 30mm difference being right on the line.

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
1660260012852.png
\

@blink9cd - use that above option as your stock then pick one on the right for comparison.. I made a comparison for you assuming you are using stock rim. See below link

Rubicon take off's comparison to Willy's stock - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com

35x11.5R17 on stock rims vs Willys stock - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets - Wheel-Size.com
Scroll down to see these details
Tire is ³⁄₄" closer to suspension components. Make sure that you have enough room for that. If not, consider lower offset, narrower tires, or using spacers
- so if you are on stock willys tires, you need to have about an inch more to spare on full lock to LCA

Negative scrub radius (about -¹¹⁄₃₂"). Scrub radius will be changed by -¹¹⁄₃₂", this may affect the car's handling. Please check manufacturer recommendations. Please be aware that calculated value is approximate.
- its not too drastic, its not like you are going -18 with poke :D
Ah cool, played around with this a little bit. The wider 295/70 and 35x11.5 tires definitely set off more of it's little "alarm bells" on the fields, whereas the ones we know work 285/70/17 didn't set any off. The 285/75/17 was just barely into the "check out this scrub radius" message (6mm), where 295/70 at 4mm didn't set it off, so I imagine it's set to 5 or 6.

I'm getting the feeling 285/75/17 sounds like the safer bet when keeping the stock wheels. The Toyo 35x11.5 seem like they might be more on the line, and a bit heavier, for not a huge gain in comparison height wise (.6"). Definitely makes sense for you with those wheels though.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ah cool, played around with this a little bit. The wider 295/70 and 35x11.5 tires definitely set off more of it's little "alarm bells" on the fields, whereas the ones we know work 285/70/17 didn't set any off. The 285/75/17 was just barely into the "check out this scrub radius" message (6mm), where 295/70 at 4mm didn't set it off, so I imagine it's set to 5 or 6.

I'm getting the feeling 285/75/17 sounds like the safer bet when keeping the stock wheels. The Toyo 35x11.5 seem like they might be more on the line, and a bit heavier, for not a huge gain in comparison height wise (.6"). Definitely makes sense for you with those wheels though.
Yep you have arrived at the right conclusion. For stock rims on non-rubicon narrow axles, 285 width is the most comfortable with enough clearance even at full articulation (swaybar disconnected n all). 295s - you might get by around town with a slight rub on LCA at full lock turns. 0.4" is what you gain from a 35x11.5 tire as they are all 34.5 in measured height. A good set of 285/75/17s that is true to height - 33.9" should work well for you.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
there was a huge wait time as that specific size is made in Japan and not in USA. As of last week its on a ship somewhere from Japan to the US :D

Good to know regarding potential lead times. I ride on Toyo OC M/T right now and was planning on eventually switching to their AT3 when these shoes wear out.

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know regarding potential lead times. I ride on Toyo OC M/T right now and was planning on eventually switching to their AT3 when these shoes wear out.
In Canada

7 weeks is the lead time for Tires made outside of USA. (Falken, some Toyos)

4 to 5 weeks ish for USA made tires.

Exception to this are the well stocked KO2s and Coopers.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5

Perfect, I ran that model in size 305/70R17 and really liked them. They ran a bit rough being load E, but they did great in snow and hardly picked-up any rocks and gravel like the the BFG K02s do. It is then that I decided to regear and moved up to 4.56 in my Sahara, along with 315/70.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Yep you have arrived at the right conclusion. For stock rims on non-rubicon narrow axles, 285 width is the most comfortable with enough clearance even at full articulation (swaybar disconnected n all). 295s - you might get by around town with a slight rub on LCA at full lock turns. 0.4" is what you gain from a 35x11.5 tire as they are all 34.5 in measured height. A good set of 285/75/17s that is true to height - 33.9" should work well for you.
Thanks for the advice. I've enjoyed learning about this and all the subtleties involved. Although sometimes it can be overwhelming with all the differences between trims and their implications. Probably doesn't make sense financially, but it'd be kinda fun if there was a "rent some new/wheels tires for a week" kind of service!

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Alignment after lift settled down a bit. I have adjustable track bars front and rear

I don't know if this is good numbers.. Jeep seems to track straight.. No funky dead zone in steering. Is this caster low? May be i should have bought adjustable LCA 🤔🤔

Screenshot_20220824-184022_Gmail~2.png

OP
OP
GrayWolf.Overland

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After 4 months waiting and still no guaranteed ETA in sight for the 35x11.5r17 Toyos and Nittos I am finally giving up on it.. *don't know why Canadians get short end of the stick... I see those tires in stock at discount tire across the border in Bellingham but can't find them anywhere locally. Any tire shop that was willing to source it from the USA was asking upwards of $650 per tire.

I am making the compromise based on practicality and availability and going with C rated KO2s in 315/70/17 113/110T

Clearance at LCA and sway bar link when off road is my only worry.. Time will tell soon. The tires are currently getting installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL GrayWolf Overland 🐺 | 2020 JLU Sahara - Build Thread 1663450849678
Sponsored

Last edited: