Sponsored

Granite Crystal Haybilt 4X4 Build 40s and Kingpins?!

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This has been an on going build that started with a fairly mild build. But with constantly pushing the jeep to do more i decided it was time to go for a more advanced build that would improve the jeeps ability and biggest of all reliability.

The start:
Current Build:
Carryover Components:
  • Rock Krawler X-Factor Mid-arms
  • Genright Ultra clearance from bumper
  • Genright tire carrier
  • Tazer Mini
  • SmittyBilt Winch X20
New Components:
  • Rock Krawler RRD 2.25 Reservoir shocks @Rock Krawler Suspension
  • East Coast Gear Supply Dana 60 axles (5.38 gears)
    • Front Dana 60 Kingpin 35 spline w/ locker
    • Rear Dana 60 35 spline w/ locker
  • ARB air locking differential
  • Welded ECGS Diff. Covers
  • KMC Machete Beadlocks
  • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 40x13.50r17
Components in the Future:
  • Rock Krawler Long Arms
  • Genright Aluminum Rear Bumper
  • Rock Sliders - Brand TBD
  • Baja Designs LP9 lights
  • 10lb Powertank for ARB lockers
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HayBuiltJLU

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I like how RockJock retained the factory inner fender liner on their JL. I am going to try yo replicate this along with AAL fender chop light.

0B4A6FA8-DF80-41EF-830A-3F65CD173C1D.png

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I like how RockJock retained the factory inner fender liner on their JL. I am going to try yo replicate this along with AAL fender chop light.
Nice, that's exactly what I was hoping to do. Link to the high-res version of the pic?

OP
OP
HayBuiltJLU

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Nice, that's exactly what I was hoping to do. Link to the high-res version of the pic?
I will try to find a better photo, I don't believe it will be to hard to do. I will post some pictures of how I do mine.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I particularly like how you maintain a bit more rigidity in the flare by retaining the two bolts in the brackets.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed RRDs (3.5" lift length) yesterday and took the time to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to simulate full articulation and tune the bump stop height with 35's. To protect the shock from bottoming I needed three pucks in front and one in the rear. Doing that though the front and rear 35's were absolutely jammed into the sport fenders. Having no desire to use Rubicon fenders I trimmed the sport fenders (which is basically the separation line for the two piece Sahara) just to see how much room I needed for full articulation. The tire still touches the lower corner of the fender so I'm thinking some ALL high line lights will solve that.

wpc27g2ZCtHpVBzCu4sytvK-ipkESs_my_261DyffyC-3MphPvEFlWP_iL-PhN4su0eKj7RvCD6SyHFrn-=w1139-h854-no.jpg

D1yZ1IAYPOMZ7U1aJA1PH1TIGZZSwb9oqZO3bKx9KeTdOd8si7m8Z8sNj9_cHrmHwfGeqOHZHHmL3ax8Ro=w1139-h854-no.jpg

OP
OP
HayBuiltJLU

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I just installed RRDs (3.5" lift length) yesterday and took the time to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to simulate full articulation and tune the bump stop height with 35's. To protect the shock from bottoming I needed three pucks in front and one in the rear. Doing that though the front and rear 35's were absolutely jammed into the sport fenders. Having no desire to use Rubicon fenders I trimmed the sport fenders (which is basically the separation line for the two piece Sahara) just to see how much room I needed for full articulation. The tire still touches the lower corner of the fender so I'm thinking some ALL high line lights will solve that.
That's definitely worth taking the time to do, do you recall what the shock travel lengths were for your RRDs?

Those 35's look like they tuck in the fender fairly well. AAL high line lights will definitely improve clearance( And look AWESOME!). If you are looking for a right now fix check out this video from Dynatrac

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
That's definitely worth taking the time to do, do you recall what the shock travel lengths were for your RRDs?
What ever it is, it's ridiculous! Didn't even think to measure, but I got the 3.5" JL shock package and it looks like the front is 11" and the rear is 12". In fact there was a 1" puck on the rear bump stop from when I installed the kit that I could have removed as the shock still had more than an inch of up travel left but thought "ehh, I'll still have eleven inches"

Here's the front compared to the Fox 2.5" lift ones I took off.

lYS2SJoruXX_YoOHiUQ3sEwJEby7AChdGg8hvKLDXVBCgqJuAbOCwqO06dXKTR8bV2BqSlY25OxR6IIbOd=w1139-h854-no.jpg

If you are looking for a right now fix check out this video from Dynatrac
Thanks, I might do just that as it's just the one corner. I didn't take an "after" picture, but I trimmed the rear in the same way but ended up removing fender liner, there wouldn't be much left after it was trimmed anyway. The rear tire touches the corner of the bumper though so that will need to be corrected. I'll probably make a bumper to match the one I made for the front. Funny though, I've seen a couple available that have the same look as my front, but I'll build my own before shelling out a grand for a bumper.

Before:
x2siPwqP0exEvCcS7yiXDhECpOIZV6ydPB3YU_W4VIulyrifvcIQDzJ8EMyrV6dyFEV2XxTqVfLD9kL-1w=w1139-h854-no.jpg

OP
OP
HayBuiltJLU

HayBuiltJLU

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
More progress has been made on the Build!

factory axles came out with no problems, easiest is way is to roll them out
IMG_0371.jpeg

New axles are under the jeep
D10002A6-DB54-4D46-9A15-FCAF87692076.JPG

Painted up some limit strap tabs to add the the frame and axles
IMG_0415.jpeg

ECGS supplied some awesome brake lines for the front axle
IMG_0460.jpg

Checked clearances for the front tires
IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Rock Krawler reservoir shocks are installed
IMG_0478.jpg

Jeep sitting back on the ground waiting on me to finish the basic alignments, get the drive shafts installed, and put the fenders back on.
IMG_0480.jpg

KrawlSpace

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 3L eco Rubi
More progress has been made on the Build!

factory axles came out with no problems, easiest is way is to roll them out
Jeep Wrangler JL Granite Crystal Haybilt 4X4 Build 40s and Kingpins?! IMG_0480

New axles are under the jeep

Painted up some limit strap tabs to add the the frame and axles

ECGS supplied some awesome brake lines for the front axle

Checked clearances for the front tires

Rock Krawler reservoir shocks are installed

Jeep sitting back on the ground waiting on me to finish the basic alignments, get the drive shafts installed, and put the fenders back on.
Dale,

I wish I had your mechanical abilities.... [and in my head I'm thinking cash reservoir as well!].

Awesome build! One day, I'll have all my Jeep build desires a reality.

Happy New Year.
Sponsored