Sponsored

GPS & ESS system uses supplemental battery?

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
My ESS & GPS stopped working properly 2019 Sahara . Took it to the dealership and they said that they had to replace the batteries. My quest is are there supplemental batteries for systems?
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, on the 2019 models with the 3.6L V6 there is a small auxiliary battery located under the main battery. It’s supposedly a pain in the ass to replace. Having a dead or dying auxiliary battery can cause issues with your primary battery and potentially with some of your on-board electronics. It seems weird to me that it would affect the GPS though; I would think that would require a new radio altogether. When my compass went out they replaced the whole 7” radio.

Edit: if you have the 2.0 turbo, there’s a 48V battery system for etorque. Completely different system.

OP
OP
Mrcake3014

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Yes, on the 2019 models with the 3.6L V6 there is a small auxiliary battery located under the main battery. It’s supposedly a pain in the ass to replace. Having a dead or dying auxiliary battery can cause issues with your primary battery and potentially with some of your on-board electronics. It seems weird to me that it would affect the GPS though; I would think that would require a new radio altogether. When my compass went out they replaced the whole 7” radio.

Edit: if you have the 2.0 turbo, there’s a 48V battery system for etorque. Completely different system.
Thank you for the information. I have a 3.6 engine. The dealership

Thank you for your answer. And to let you know the GPS problem wil be fixed with a new radio. FYI this is my second radio since I got the vehicle in February of 19.
To add insult to injury when I went to pick up the Jeep I saw that they never even looked at the GPS problem. I still had the GPS problem. In turn they have to keep it a additional day and apologies. Why do dealers have the worst service department. My experience is they think they are high and mighty and do not solve the problem the first time.
Sponsored