Sponsored

"GPS Antenna Input" on Sport S Tech Group?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I've been looking at a lot of the various options and packages on the 2018 Wrangler JL Sport S up on Jeep's site.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is in the "Tech Group" option, one of the features listed is "GPS Antenna Input", with no explanation of why you'd want a GPS antenna jack since no Nav is included with the package.

From past experience, I know what a GPS Antenna Input looks like and what it does, but it certainly appears that the Tech Group on the Sport S does NOT include Nav. However, that 'feature' listed in the Tech Group list implies that perhaps there is some sort of post-delivery upgrade for the Uconnect4 radio that would allow one to update the radio software, add a GPS antenna to the jack, and presto -- have a working GPS nav on the Uconnect4.

However, I haven't seen any kind of "nav upgrade" mentioned anywhere on Jeep's site nor in the Mopar accessories catalogs that would relate to having the input on the JL.

Anyone have solid info on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I don't have any info but if you find out more please keep updating this thread. I'm curious. I have regrets about spending $1,000 on the Tech Package because it doesn't have any tech. No nav, no offroad pages, etc. The money would have been better spent on the Cold Weather Package. Sigh....

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
Wondering if anyone has found out about this input. I haven't found an explaination

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
It does have tech on the center console but not on the 7" radio.

OP
OP
Kent5

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Still a mystery.

If someone knows, they ain't sayin'. ;)

Sponsored

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I wish a Jeep engineer would chime in. It would make no sense unless it was Nav capable.

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Ridgeline
So what does the 7" radio give you besides CarPlay and android auto? If you have it what does CarPlay or android auto do for you other then let you play music from your phone and see the map on a bigger screen? Honest questions, I have never had a vehicle with CP or AA before and do not listen to music through my phone so is there a reason I would want the 7" radio?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So what does the 7" radio give you besides CarPlay and android auto? If you have it what does CarPlay or android auto do for you other then let you play music from your phone and see the map on a bigger screen? Honest questions, I have never had a vehicle with CP or AA before and do not listen to music through my phone so is there a reason I would want the 7" radio?
Auto climate control is also included, but doesn't work worth a crap.

Android Auto is terrible. Turns your 2019 devices into 1981 devices with the press of a button.

It's a waste of $1,000 in my opinion. Wish I could do it over again. But, mine is a lease so I'll get a chance to make it right in a couple more years.

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Tl;dr - if you think the 7” is bad, the 5” is worse. The 7” is considerably better.

You absolutely don’t want the 5” radio. It’s awful. Slow to start, slow to respond to selections, fickle Bluetooth, etc. I bought the 7” afterwards and live without a volume knob (it’s on the climate control panel on keeps with the upgrade) and the 7” is still money well spent in my book.

Oh and the GPS antenna - it’s also definitely for satellite radio and, I think it feeds the compass when you have a 7”. I’ll be able to confirm when I get my antenna wired up.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Tl;dr - if you think the 7” is bad, the 5” is worse. The 7” is considerably better.

You absolutely don’t want the 5” radio. It’s awful. Slow to start, slow to respond to selections, fickle Bluetooth, etc. I bought the 7” afterwards and live without a volume knob (it’s on the climate control panel on keeps with the upgrade) and the 7” is still money well spent in my book.

Oh and the GPS antenna - it’s also definitely for satellite radio and, I think it feeds the compass when you have a 7”. I’ll be able to confirm when I get my antenna wired up.
So you replaced the 5” base radio with the 7” UConnect 4 on your Sport?

Do the volume buttons work on the back of your steering wheel?

Sponsored

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you replaced the 5” base radio with the 7” UConnect 4 on your Sport?

Do the volume buttons work on the back of your steering wheel?
Yeah that’s right. And the volume button on the steering wheel works perfectly. Thanks to the contributions of folks on here, I found out that the 7” works in the base JL. I bought the radio and bezel. Easy install and got apple car play. I bought the gps antenna but haven’t installed yet while I wait for the other parts I’ll be installing while I’m in there.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yeah that’s right. And the volume button on the steering wheel works perfectly. Thanks to the contributions of folks on here, I found out that the 7” works in the base JL. I bought the radio and bezel. Easy install and got apple car play. I bought the gps antenna but haven’t installed yet while I wait for the other parts I’ll be installing while I’m in there.
When you say base JL, are you referring to Sport or Sport S? Nice to know if the 7” is plug-n-play on the base Sport w/manual windows. The 7” is not a factory option on the Sport, only Sport S.

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you say base JL, are you referring to Sport or Sport S? Nice to know if the 7” is plug-n-play on the base Sport w/manual windows. The 7” is not a factory option on the Sport, only Sport S.

I have the JLU base, not sport. Manual windows and locks. Was plug and play.

Seanmadigan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl wrangler unlimited s

Did you find out what wires you need to connect the radio to the gps antenna? I bout the 8.4 and the gos antenna which i mounted ontop of the soundbar rollbar but i cant find the part number for the wires to connect the gos antenna

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
2018 JL Sport with many S options including Tech:

Technology Group $995

Uconnect® 4 with 7–Inch Display
Cluster 7.0–Inch TFT Color Display
Google Android Auto™ Capable
Apple CarPlay® Capable
Air Conditioning w/Auto Temp Contro

SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Radio Subscription

No GPS mention. Very pleased with added features and all work quite well, including Android and Auto Climate.
Sponsored