• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 11, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 11, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

GPCA Cargo Cover and Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am interested in the GPCA Cargo Cover (Pro) but not for security. I want it so when I am in Safari mode I can keep the rain out without having to put the windows back in.

Anyone have experience with how well it keep rain out?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
It won't keep rain out. I put mine on every time the top is off just to help keep things a bit hidden and so that small things don't blow out of the back. The back of the cover moves in the wind and every time I stop if I want it to cover things I have to push it back into place. It does ok, but there are big gaps that it doesn't really cover, especially toward the back of the Jeep.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It won't keep rain out. I put mine on every time the top is off just to help keep things a bit hidden and so that small things don't blow out of the back. The back of the cover moves in the wind and every time I stop if I want it to cover things I have to push it back into place. It does ok, but there are big gaps that it doesn't really cover, especially toward the back of the Jeep.
Thanks for the feedback! Any regrets? I was hoping to avoid something more expensive like a backbone or slipstream but maybe that is what it takes.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@ThirtyOne; hopefully they’ll release it soon...I would really like one myself. It would make me feel much better about taking the hardtop off.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@ThirtyOne Scotchguarding the GPCA cover fabric might go a long way towards further water resistance.

I used 3/4" wood to make a platform this cover sits on top of. If you need plans I can take measurements. It allows pretty much any weight on the GPCA cover, and is cheaper than a metal deck should you want to save your $ for other things : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~

You got me thinking...maybe I should Thompson's Water Seal the wood.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Thanks for the feedback! Any regrets? I was hoping to avoid something more expensive like a backbone or slipstream but maybe that is what it takes.
It serves its purpose for me, and I didn't see any better options when I purchased it. I think for the cost it's a reasonable answer until I can save up to get the Diabolical Slipstream probably next year. I'd prefer more lockable storage, but keeping stuff hidden is better than nothing. I had a soft tonneau on my truck for years and no one ever peeled it back to see if there was something in it.

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It serves its purpose for me, and I didn't see any better options when I purchased it. I think for the cost it's a reasonable answer until I can save up to get the Diabolical Slipstream probably next year. I'd prefer more lockable storage, but keeping stuff hidden is better than nothing. I had a soft tonneau on my truck for years and no one ever peeled it back to see if there was something in it.
To me the security is just a bonus. Putting the windows in for a pop rain storm is a pain in the ass. I've been running the safari mode in the rain but the back gets wet and over time I'm afraid its going to get musty. But the GPCA does seem like it fits real taunt in the back so I don't know if it will help.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
To me the security is just a bonus. Putting the windows in for a pop rain storm is a pain in the ass. I've been running the safari mode in the rain but the back gets wet and over time I'm afraid its going to get musty. But the GPCA does seem like it fits real taunt in the back so I don't know if it will help.
I am interested in the GPCA Cargo Cover (Pro) but not for security. I want it so when I am in Safari mode I can keep the rain out without having to put the windows back in.

Anyone have experience with how well it keep rain out?

Thanks!
ThirtyOne - I purchased the GPCA cover about a month ago. It fits well. There are three velcro straps on each side that allow you to adjust the tension. It's a good fit. With DirtyDog cargo netting on the sides ... that GCPA cover is really snug. As others have posted, there are still small gaps along the side, but not something I would expect a sprinkle to get into. The rain will penetrate at the back, where the cover tilts down to accommodate the soft top in its folded down position. I suppose you could rig something to keep the flap 'up' at or over the tailgate - maybe some velcro tape or small snaps, but then the water would pool. Not ideal. The one thing I would CAUTION all on is that the current GCPA cover kit does not use stainless or galvanized bolts. The ones that come with the kit will rust overnight on their first exposure to water. Kind of cheap for a not-inexpensive item. Until they fix that, treat your ride right and get stainless bolts.

Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
@ThirtyOne Scotchguarding the GPCA cover fabric might go a long way towards further water resistance.

I used 3/4" wood to make a platform this cover sits on top of. If you need plans I can take measurements. It allows pretty much any weight on the GPCA cover, and is cheaper than a metal deck should you want to save your $ for other things : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~

You got me thinking...maybe I should Thompson's Water Seal the wood.
Now u got me thinking. I’d like to see some measurements and how yours looks on the Jeep. Im not topless yet but I have a sub in my cargo area that Id like to keep hidden at least. I would like the Rampage cover as well but they keep pushing it back, to now July. Can u post a pic of what u made?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Now u got me thinking. I’d like to see some measurements and how yours looks on the Jeep. Im not topless yet but I have a sub in my cargo area that Id like to keep hidden at least. I would like the Rampage cover as well but they keep pushing it back, to now July. Can u post a pic of what u made?
Let me know if you want more 411.

• 2 vertical risers 3/4" thick on either side of the cargo area are cut, closer to the front of the JL, at the same angle as the back seats.
  • They're screwed and glued to a horizontal member forward of the cargo area floor door, below the umbrella and sheet metal (not relevant) .
  • Put glue backed window insulation foam on top of vertical risers for quiet.
  • Top piece has two hinged sides (shown) towards front to match 1/3 and 2/3 back seats. If either or both of these seats get lowered, these partitions can lift to accommodate long items or form part of sleeping unit (not built...yet.)
  • Holes in top piece allow factory screws to tub liner to keep it from moving.
  • Top piece on either side of vertical risers is on hinges (not shown) making "wings" out of the pieces that attach to tub. Unscrew, lift up wings, and remove.

PM me if you want more specific dimensions. Nobody sees this thing. It's below cargo cover and behind upright seats, allowing cargo cover to take uber weight it couldn't do on its own.

IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG

jaynik

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Do you guys have trouble with the soft top and frame contacting the D plate closest to the tailgate when the top is down? I installed my cover, but then took it off when I observed that contact. Figured it would damage the top over time. In other words, the material of the top (and the frame) sort of rest on the D plate.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Several posts mention the flapping issue with the GPCA cargo cover. Check out my low cost solution to make it tighter and eliminate flapping at the back at highway speed, and also a little bit more protection from prying eyes:

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.