Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Lol yes, The Sahara in 4wd auto is a blast to drive. This adds another level of fun on top of the enjoyment of driving the Jeep.

So much more control during daily drives it gives you that planted feel of the higher echelons AWD sports cars.
Just drove 35 miles on I-5 from Bellingham, WA to Cloverdale BC in the pouring rain: the Jeep cruised at 75 MPH completely unfazed.
Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
We just replaced my wife's SUV for a Jeep. I looked all over the upper midwest for a Jeep with select-trac and found very few. I talked to a couple of dealers about why so few Sahara's are equipped with the optional transfer case in our area and they really didn't have an answer for me. It was a huge selling point for me as we live in snow country and it will be my wife's daily driver. For her to engage four-wheel drive and forget it on spotty, slippery, snow cover roads was very important to me. Luckily we were able to find a Moab with select-trac and she really enjoys it (me too).
My wifes jeep does not have it, mine does. We bought hers off the lot first , I ordered mine with selec trac and lsd. You gotta have it in snow country. Her's seems outdated and primitive for what we need them for.

Gremluc

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challenger & 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
One of my deciding factors in getting a Sahara was the “re-introduction” of Selec-Trac. I had it in my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees and couldn’t say enough good things about those Jeeps and the 4WD system.

Yes, I realize this Selec-Trac is technically different, but ultimately they both provide “full-time 4WD.”

I’ve had my JL five weeks now. Been driving mostly in 2WD, but that’s changing as winter approaches. One thing I noticed since it started raining is that the rear tires are prone to slipping on 2WD more than on my prior JKs. My guess is that the 8-speed is more efficient at transferring power to the ground, increasing traction demands on the rear tires.

Last night was raining for a change, so I shifted Selec-Trac into “Auto:” LOVE IT! The tire slipping is gone; the Jeep drives more confidently, and the steering even wanders less. It’s hard to describe, but the Jeep feels better put together. Reminds me of how safe my old Grand Cherokees used to feel; which is what got me into Jeeps originally.

Anyway, everyone has his/her unique reasons for buying a Jeep. But if you are considering a Sahara for the Selec-Trac, go for it. You won’t regret it!
Your so right. During raining season in SW Florida I use it all the time - it is the primary reason I went with a Sahara.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
One of my deciding factors in getting a Sahara was the “re-introduction” of Selec-Trac. I had it in my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees and couldn’t say enough good things about those Jeeps and the 4WD system.

Yes, I realize this Selec-Trac is technically different, but ultimately they both provide “full-time 4WD.”

I’ve had my JL five weeks now. Been driving mostly in 2WD, but that’s changing as winter approaches. One thing I noticed since it started raining is that the rear tires are prone to slipping on 2WD more than on my prior JKs. My guess is that the 8-speed is more efficient at transferring power to the ground, increasing traction demands on the rear tires.

Last night was raining for a change, so I shifted Selec-Trac into “Auto:” LOVE IT! The tire slipping is gone; the Jeep drives more confidently, and the steering even wanders less. It’s hard to describe, but the Jeep feels better put together. Reminds me of how safe my old Grand Cherokees used to feel; which is what got me into Jeeps originally.

Anyway, everyone has his/her unique reasons for buying a Jeep. But if you are considering a Sahara for the Selec-Trac, go for it. You won’t regret it!
Thanks for that. I haven't tried that in heavy rain but maybe I will to see the difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As I remember, rain in Florida are usually 15-minute showers followed by bright sunshine that dries everything up in 15-seconds.

Rain in the Pacific Northwest can last from 15 hours to 15 days, and leave the roads wet and damp for several days or even weeks. These are the kinds of conditions I’m talking about.

But feel free to try Selec-Trac in whatever conditions you may have. You will likely find a noticeable improvement in the handling, regardless.

Last edited:

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Right? Am I the only one that breaks them loose on purpose anymore?
So many judgmental people. If someone asks what color to get people say it’s your Jeep do what you want. Why can’t people drive it how they want?

When my kids are in my car, I agree with everyone and having complete control of the vehicle. Yes, I rock the “pussy-mode” all the way to their school. Sometimes I rock “pussy-mode” all the way to work too!!! Crazy I know. When my 5 year old turns 16, I hope he gets to drive this same Jeep in “pussy-mode” around town.

I also get what you are saying. On that nice day, nothing going on, no kids in the Jeep...I swerve to hit every puddle of water, might turn a little early to find some mud, or break it loose on purpose. It’s not rock crawling but it’s something you wouldn’t do in a Lexus.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Right? Am I the only one that breaks them loose on purpose anymore?
:fist bump: Except you actually have to make one little extra effort to do that: you have to turn ESS off. Damn computers.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
As I remember, rain in Florida are usually 15-minute showers followed by bright sunshine that dries everything up in 15-seconds.
Florida is flat. Depending on where you are, water can stay on the road for a while. Driving in the rain can be tricky. I once drove from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale on a rainy day. So many traffic accidents in Ft Lauderdale. Scary...

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Florida is flat. Depending on where you are, water can stay on the road for a while. Driving in the rain can be tricky. I once drove from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale on a rainy day. So many traffic accidents in Ft Lauderdale. Scary...
Good point. One more reason to engage Selec-Trac.

Although 4WD won't prevent from hydroplaning over a large puddle.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Yup, I got a Rubi because of my small, um, you know...but I should have gotten a Moab while I could. If they made them in '20 I would have had a hard time deciding. My consolation is that most of our traction issues don't come with acceleration, they come with deceleration. Stay off throttle and you'll be just fine, but brakes are brakes and tires are tires, and only those 2 will help you stop in any kind of weather.
We special ordered my wife's Liberty in '02 just to get the Selec-Trac, and no car I've driven was as user friendly or "planted" in the elements than that Jeep.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I am actually looking forward to snow so i can test it out. When i bought my Jeep earlier this year most of the big snow was over. This will be my first full season to use it.