Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One of my deciding factors in getting a Sahara was the “re-introduction” of Selec-Trac. I had it in my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees and couldn’t say enough good things about those Jeeps and the 4WD system.

Yes, I realize this Selec-Trac is technically different, but ultimately they both provide “full-time 4WD.”

I’ve had my JL five weeks now. Been driving mostly in 2WD, but that’s changing as winter approaches. One thing I noticed since it started raining is that the rear tires are prone to slipping on 2WD more than on my prior JKs. My guess is that the 8-speed is more efficient at transferring power to the ground, increasing traction demands on the rear tires.

Last night was raining for a change, so I shifted Selec-Trac into “Auto:” LOVE IT! The tire slipping is gone; the Jeep drives more confidently, and the steering even wanders less. It’s hard to describe, but the Jeep feels better put together. Reminds me of how safe my old Grand Cherokees used to feel; which is what got me into Jeeps originally.

Anyway, everyone has his/her unique reasons for buying a Jeep. But if you are considering a Sahara for the Selec-Trac, go for it. You won’t regret it!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, last weekend took the Jeep to the mountains; it did well on a trail of moderate difficulty with 6-12 inches of snow. The Jeep didn’t skip a beat! After a couple hours I noticed a smell which I attributed to the clutches in the LSD; but some have suggested it may have been the new brake lines as the BLD engaged in snow —yes, I forgot to engage 4-Lo! Doh!!!

The trail gets progressively more challenging with elevation
cat=111&_nc_ohc=RSxfFQTw5L8AQlm9jGZ39zaX7I0St29ByeqHU8d9rA2MAnV7G-5qIoh0A&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Note to self: don’t forget to engage 4-Lo!
cat=108&_nc_ohc=g_59wfOFlUcAQmEyEp_w0lKLI4Pe6ykOMrdyJwLVVxKIxpr1xQN3Y9jFA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
Wish I had this option... Rainy Seattle and my Jeep slides easily (lowering the tire pressure has helped)

If I were to order a new Wrangler Select Track would be a must have.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
We have had snow on the ground here for a while now. I've set it to 4 auto about a month back and it has stayed that way since.

Like that old Ronco commercial says "Set it and forget it".

Selec Trac was basically why I ordered a Sahara.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently Jeep first introduced Selec-Trac in 1982. No other automaker offered anything like it at the time.

Here are some vintage ads I found online.
1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-01.jpg

1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-07.jpg

1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-02.jpg

1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-04.jpg

1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-03.jpg

1982%20Jeep%20SelecTrac-05.jpg

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Lol yes, The Sahara in 4wd auto is a blast to drive. This adds another level of fun on top of the enjoyment of driving the Jeep.

So much more control during daily drives it gives you that planted feel of the higher echelons AWD sports cars.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Our new Jeep is the first rear wheel drive vehicle we've had since I sold my truck in 2006, also the first V6 I've owned. I was a bit surprised last week, on perfectly dry pavement, when trying to get out of the way of oncoming traffic in a left turn, when I accelerated, I lit up the back tires and pitched the back end out a bit.

I've had it out in snow and haven't found I've even needed 4WH to go everywhere I wanted, but I was going pretty slowly. Maybe I'll start using 4WH in snow so as not to break the rear end loose.

Best,
-Tim

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
One of my deciding factors in getting a Sahara was the “re-introduction” of Selec-Trac. I had it in my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees and couldn’t say enough good things about those Jeeps and the 4WD system.

Yes, I realize this Selec-Trac is technically different, but ultimately they both provide “full-time 4WD.”

I’ve had my JL five weeks now. Been driving mostly in 2WD, but that’s changing as winter approaches. One thing I noticed since it started raining is that the rear tires are prone to slipping on 2WD more than on my prior JKs. My guess is that the 8-speed is more efficient at transferring power to the ground, increasing traction demands on the rear tires.

Last night was raining for a change, so I shifted Selec-Trac into “Auto:” LOVE IT! The tire slipping is gone; the Jeep drives more confidently, and the steering even wanders less. It’s hard to describe, but the Jeep feels better put together. Reminds me of how safe my old Grand Cherokees used to feel; which is what got me into Jeeps originally.

Anyway, everyone has his/her unique reasons for buying a Jeep. But if you are considering a Sahara for the Selec-Trac, go for it. You won’t regret it!
"Pussy Mode"

:CWL:

Sponsored

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
We just replaced my wife's SUV for a Jeep. I looked all over the upper midwest for a Jeep with select-trac and found very few. I talked to a couple of dealers about why so few Sahara's are equipped with the optional transfer case in our area and they really didn't have an answer for me. It was a huge selling point for me as we live in snow country and it will be my wife's daily driver. For her to engage four-wheel drive and forget it on spotty, slippery, snow cover roads was very important to me. Luckily we were able to find a Moab with select-trac and she really enjoys it (me too).