Gotta love Selec-Trac!

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Betty White (I think said this) anyway, people talk about balls and how manly they are and this and that - bull, slap a pair and see how big guy folds up! Now a pussy on they other hand can take a pounding and come back for more, plus stretch enough to spit out a kid. I think Betty is on to something!
Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thereā€™s a 2-door Sahara for overseas markets, no?

Iā€™ve seen them here and there.
img_1793-jpg.jpg

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Florida is flat. Depending on where you are, water can stay on the road for a while. Driving in the rain can be tricky. I once drove from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale on a rainy day. So many traffic accidents in Ft Lauderdale. Scary...
Iā€™ve driven all over public roads in South West Florida (read ā€˜well draining, flat roads) for past 12years, 25,000 to 35,000 miles per year, and the only issue I see select-trac, LSD, or any anti slip, etc. helping with is this: starting from a stop on wet pavement when driving aggressively and possibly, an emergency situation when you have to gun it. From my experience, defensive driving, a good set of tires, and rain x on the windows is all it takes to be safe in the summer afternoon thunderstorms of SW FL. That said, I probably shouldā€™ve gotten these options but couldnā€™t resist the Rubicon.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
One of my deciding factors in getting a Sahara was the ā€œre-introductionā€ of Selec-Trac. I had it in my 1995 and 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokees and couldnā€™t say enough good things about those Jeeps and the 4WD system.

Yes, I realize this Selec-Trac is technically different, but ultimately they both provide ā€œfull-time 4WD.ā€

Iā€™ve had my JL five weeks now. Been driving mostly in 2WD, but thatā€™s changing as winter approaches. One thing I noticed since it started raining is that the rear tires are prone to slipping on 2WD more than on my prior JKs. My guess is that the 8-speed is more efficient at transferring power to the ground, increasing traction demands on the rear tires.

Last night was raining for a change, so I shifted Selec-Trac into ā€œAuto:ā€ LOVE IT! The tire slipping is gone; the Jeep drives more confidently, and the steering even wanders less. Itā€™s hard to describe, but the Jeep feels better put together. Reminds me of how safe my old Grand Cherokees used to feel; which is what got me into Jeeps originally.

Anyway, everyone has his/her unique reasons for buying a Jeep. But if you are considering a Sahara for the Selec-Trac, go for it. You wonā€™t regret it!
I keep mine in 4auto- Select Trac at all times and never take it off of that setting. This is THE reason I didn't get a Rubicon. In CT weather changes like some woman I know with PMS so Select Trac is mandatory. Like having a unlimited supply of Midol!!!. :)~

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
we have them, we also have rubicons with "Selec Trac" as standard.

59785695341__67A9D9E0-024A-405B-B130-9E1F6942903A.JPG
I had no idea that you can get a Rubicon with Selec Trac. Is that new for 2020?

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
I had no idea that you can get a Rubicon with Selec Trac. Is that new for 2020?
Export and only in the UK, Europe and the Middle East, not sure about Asia or other areas.

im pretty sure someone can figure out how to fit the selec trac transfer cases we have into rubicons in the US.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We already have a Rubicon with Selec-Trac: it is called the Moab.

Moab is a Sahara with Selec-Trac and Rubicon grille, hood, steel bumpers, rock rails and 17-inch wheels.

Wrangler-Moab-Gear-Patrol-Feature.jpg

Moab-Edition-Jeep-JL-Wranglers.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With the sway bar disconnect and diff locks ?
No. But you canā€™t have Selec-Trac with front and rear lockers anyway. And without lockers, do you really have a Rubicon?

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
ummm, this ?

961A6CB6-FF75-4EE9-86EB-E78DDC8A5AE9.jpeg
Ha, I stand corrected!

I have no idea how that works. Over here Selec-Trac is integrated with Saharaā€™s Trac-Lok rear LSD, front axle disconnect and Command Trac 2.72:1 transfer case.

On a Rubicon, Selec-Trac would need to work with an open rear differential in Auto mode, and with Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case in Part-Time modes. Does it have a front D44 with axle disconnect...?

Last edited:

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Ha, I stand corrected!

I have no idea how that works. Over here Selec-Trac is integrated with Saharaā€™s Trac-Lok rear LSD, front axle disconnect and Command Trac 2.72:1 transfer case.

On a Rubicon, Selec-Trac would need to work with an open rear differential in Auto mode, and with Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case in Part-Time modes. Does it have a front D44 with axle disconnect...?
it does.
Sponsored