Sponsored

Got z automotive camera installed, but...

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
...it's not working yet.

Firstly, don't be sucked in by anyone that says its easy to install. Simple yes, but only easy if you have 8" fingers about the same diameter as a #2 pencil. Unplug this, plug this into that, receptacles are all in places impossible to get hands/fingers into.

Now, why not working? I bought the Tazer lite to be able to activate the "cargo cam" but I can't get any menu/ sub menu that includes it. I get just the basics. Light show, TPMS, "Perf".

Sent an email to zautomotive, waiting to hear back.
Sponsored

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
...it's not working yet.

Firstly, don't be sucked in by anyone that says its easy to install. Simple yes, but only easy if you have 8" fingers about the same diameter as a #2 pencil. Unplug this, plug this into that, receptacles are all in places impossible to get hands/fingers into.

Now, why not working? I bought the Tazer lite to be able to activate the "cargo cam" but I can't get any menu/ sub menu that includes it. I get just the basics. Light show, TPMS, "Perf".

Sent an email to zautomotive, waiting to hear back.
The Tazer JL Lite doesn't support adding cargo cam. If you want to add it, you need to purchase an activation key from ZAutomotive to unlock all of the extra Tazer features.

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So, the happy meal won't cut it, gotta go for the 1/4 pounder.

That's on me, I clearly misunderstood. I suspect zautomotive will tell me the same thing and guide me on how to get it done.

Thanks

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
So, the happy meal won't cut it, gotta go for the 1/4 pounder.

That's on me, I clearly misunderstood. I suspect zautomotive will tell me the same thing and guide me on how to get it done.

Thanks
Late chiming in on this but how did You and Z work it out ???

I did the same thing !

Thanks Dan

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Late chiming in on this but how did You and Z work it out ???

I did the same thing !

Thanks Dan
I went on-line to download the upgrade. Unfortunately this ends up costing you a bit more than if you'd just ordered the mini in the first place.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went on-line to download the upgrade. Unfortunately this ends up costing you a bit more than if you'd just ordered the mini in the first place.
I should have just went with the factory one out of the JT

That route is still Spendy but I wouldn't have to tazer anything ...

Thanks for your response !

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I should have just went with the factory one out of the JT

That route is still Spendy but I wouldn't have to tazer anything ...

Thanks for your response !
Is that true? You can just buy the JT camera and plug it in and it will work? That would be a surprise since it seems everything needs to be "activated" on these things.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Is that true? You can just buy the JT camera and plug it in and it will work? That would be a surprise since it seems everything needs to be "activated" on these things.
That would be interesting if so.
I still think the easiest option, if you would only need the tazer to activate the camera is to skip it and use a RCA switch.
They have several on Amazon that are 12v powered and are set up to automatically show video on input 1 until an input is present on input two, three, four, ext..
Just install the front cam, side cams or what ever and run its power to the Aux switch in the jeep. If you want to see the front camera, apply power and push the camera button on the uconnect.
Plus, it will be in HD rather than 480p. Those things cost about 30 bucks are so on amazon.
I have not personally tried it, but logically there is no reason it would not work.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No , But I did investigate that route first and it has a lot more parts to order which changes the labor cost as well . It just seems like the JT one is more adaptable according to my mechanics . We started pricing out the parts from the JT model and we were at almost 600.00 when I decided to go a different route .

Nothing against Z Automotive but for a front camera they get expensive AF !

I have the Z camera installed and a Tazer Lite which won't help me so I'm already into 650.00 ish

Jeeps are as bad as Boats !

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are as bad as Boats
You can say that again! Between Just Emtpy Every Pocket and Break Out Another Thousand, I'm vehicle poor lol

To topic though, I got a camera on amazon and Tazer JL and did the front camera following the previously mentioned tutorial. As others have said, not as good quality as the rear and no lines, but it does the job. Was one of my first mods.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can say that again! Between Just Emtpy Every Pocket and Break Out Another Thousand, I'm vehicle poor lol

To topic though, I got a camera on amazon and Tazer JL and did the front camera following the previously mentioned tutorial. As others have said, not as good quality as the rear and no lines, but it does the job. Was one of my first mods.
Thanks - I sent an email to Z support and Nothing

So I have the Z front Camera installed and a tazer Lite that does me no good .....Cant find a Z ph number either

any suggestions ???

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
631-533-3363
Text Messages Only

This is right off of their web site.

I know from personal experience that they are very responsive to customers. I have the z automotive camera on my 2020 JL. no issues. The only problem that I ever had is that the Tazer mini with 11.1.5 didnt work for my JL. I have to use 11.1.4

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Tazer is a great and well supported product with LOTS of features.. JScan also can set the CargoCam to active. Since I was only using tire size and cargo cam, I decided to try JScan with the MX+10 and security bypass cable..
Works well and I'm assuming that the changes are more permanent.

Last edited:

JLUBrownBear

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
631-533-3363
Text Messages Only

This is right off of their web site.

I know from personal experience that they are very responsive to customers. I have the z automotive camera on my 2020 JL. no issues. The only problem that I ever had is that the Tazer mini with 11.1.5 didnt work for my JL. I have to use 11.1.4

I second this!! Very responsive. I went all in with the TazerJL

Trent

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler rubicon
Thanks - I sent an email to Z support and Nothing

So I have the Z front Camera installed and a tazer Lite that does me no good .....Cant find a Z ph number either

any suggestions ???
Hey I had good luck texting with them it takes a little bit for an answer but they do answer. 1-631-533-3363 is the number I used.
Sponsored