Sponsored

Got to drive a 3.0L pre-release test mule today

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Wasn’t the Ram 3.0 gen2 emissions compliance ECU flash responsible for the heinous acceleration delays that developed?
It certainly didn't make anything better, but I traded my ecodiesel before the emissions problems and it had pretty wicked delay even then. The emissions flash just made it worse when cold.

This is why I dislike taking my vehicles back to the dealer anymore. A quick flash you potentially didn't authorize and it's no longer the truck that was advertised or sold.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
No surprise the nose feels heavy...that engine adds 400 lbs. to the front end. That's like installing FOUR plate steel winch bumpers on the front. The front/rear weight distribution has got to be terrible.

Regen cycles are no biggie if you have a long commute. But for the average person with a <30 minute drive in to work it might become a pain.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
No surprise the nose feels heavy...that engine adds 400 lbs. to the front end. That's like installing FOUR plate steel winch bumpers on the front. The front/rear weight distribution has got to be terrible.

Regen cycles are no biggie if you have a long commute. But for the average person with a <30 minute drive in to work it might become a pain.
The DEF, DPF, EGR, fuel/water separator and the skid plates for the DEF plus fuel/water separator are adding weight primarily behind the engine...at least 100 of that 400 lbs.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
I think it's been stated that the engine is only about 100 pounds heavier, the rest is all the emissions stuff behind the front axle.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Regional rep was in for the year end holiday visit and brought a 3.0L Eco Diesel pre-release model for some select customers to test drive.

I got to spend about 20 minutes with it in city and a little run on the freeway before I had to pull over and give someone else a chance.

What I liked:

Very strong acceleration and no issue getting to 70mph with "authority" on the freeway merge ramp. It feels much stronger than stock 2.0L or 3.6L which I got to drive back to back.

What I didn't like was three things:

- Power band is done by 4.5k RPM and the transmission and gear ratio makes this overly noticeable. The auto transmission needs to be setup to shift maybe 300 or 400rpm earlier so you don't feel the dip in the power band before the shift. I think this might be a compromise with available gear ratios.

- You can feel the extra weight while driving as any steering or brake input has significantly more momentum. Nose dives significantly more under hard braking and lane changes at speed feel sluggish.

- You can smell the Urea AdBlue very distinctively at idle. I suspect it was in a re-gen cycle but still not my experience with prior Diesels.

All in all a winner if you want the range and power but does give up some sportiness to the weight.
Did you check out tue MPG avg calculation?

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
I think it's been stated that the engine is only about 100 pounds heavier, the rest is all the emissions stuff behind the front axle.
That sounds backwards. The DEF tank, exhaust parts, and a couple small skids are unlikely to add up to 300lb in the back.

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
As I recall the DPF tank is 5.3 GLS, so no counting the weight of the tank, just the fluid should be just under 45 lbs.

Sponsored

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
That sounds backwards. The DEF tank, exhaust parts, and a couple small skids are unlikely to add up to 300lb in the back.
2013-Ram-Emissions.jpg

This is the exhaust system from a Ram 1500 diesel. Cut the straight parts, shrink the fuel tank, and you have the JL diesel exhaust.

Last edited:

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
The Wrangler Ecodiesel also comes with heavy duty axles, brakes, suspension, a door for the tank fills and who knows what else

Last edited:

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Most of the weight is in the engine block itself. Diesel engine blocks have to be inherently stronger than gasoline blocks since they compress rather than ignite to create combustion. That is my understanding anyway.

I just know the front end of my Cummins was significantly heavier than the front end of my Power Wagon. The Cummins front end actually broke my floor jack that I had previously used for my Power Wagon. The Cummins also has much more nose dive like the OP described.

A heavier front end may not be a big deal when it comes to rock climbing, but it is the last thing you want on muddy trails like we have in East Tennessee.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
The added 400 lbs is from the Dana 44 front axle that all Diesels get, the engine itself, DEF tank, extra exhaust and emission components, and skid plates.

Out of everything, only the engine and upgraded front axle are up front with the added weight of the axle is moot so while I doubt there is an extra 300 lbs of DEF tank/exhaust/skid plates behind the front axle I could easily see it being around 200-250 lbs behind the front axle and around 100-150 lbs in front/over it since we can subtract the axle wight differences.

Jharris

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Lexus and ford
The Wrangler Ecodiesel also comes with heavy duty axles, brakes, suspension, a little door for the tank fills and who knows what else
When you say heavy duty axles isn’t the Eco running the standard 44?
Sponsored