Sponsored

Got my new JL Rubicon, now looking at mods...

chamox

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red Rubicon
Hey forum! I just got a JL and it is time to add some mods. It’s a 2018 red, stock Rubicon. Got some questions, if anyone wants to help.

I’m looking at the Mopar lift and it looks like a great price right now. However, the 4 wheel parts guys are trying to steer me to a Rubicon Express lift which doesn’t seem as nice as the Mopar one. One of the things they have told me is that the part number I am looking a, 77072395AB, has spring bowing issues and that the new part number,77072395AC fixes that - but that part number is $400 more. But I’m reading now that the AB fixed that issue a while back. Any clarification?

I used to own a motorcycle shop and wrenched in there quite a bit so know my way around righty-tighty and lefty-loosey. Any issues with installing the lift myself?

Any issue with using jack stands? How big of stands do I need and how high do I need to lift the jeep?

Anybody got a good way to mount Rotopax. I’ve seen a tire mount but not much else with the stock bumper.

For context, I am looking at putting 37 inch tires on 17 inch wheels. I may use the stock wheels for not. How big of spacer do I need? Something like 2 inches?

Hope that's not too many questions - Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

hilldweller11

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 3.6 MT
I considered a lift, but decided to forego it. I have a '19 JL Rubicon, and put 35's on to replace the stock 33's. I'm happy with the stance and look of my JL.

Instead, I spent my $$ on JCR front & rear bumpers & a Warn winch, as well as Rigid LED lights in the bumpers. I also added the aux switches as mine came without them.

Pretty happy with what I have, but I assume for 37's you'd need a slight lift.

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
You shouldn't have any issue installing the lift, its not that hard. I didn't install the Mopar kit, but it has less parts to replace than the one I did and I did it in my garage in about 3 days by myself taking my time. I used a set of Craftsman extra-high lift jack stands I've had for years, nothing special. I had a high lift Harbor Freight jack that came in very handy, I'd make sure you have something similar.
There are some really knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum that have already helped me out tremendously, you'll easily be able to knock this out.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
FYI. BAM Mopar Parts out of Ohio is shipping the third generation Mopar lift (-AC) at about $1100.00. Even the third generation lift didn't completely fix the bowing on the driver's side. Yes, you can do it in your garage with a jack and jack stands. I'm sure you can run a 37X12.5-17 on the stock rim as I've seen it done on this forum with a 1.75 wheel spacer. On mine, there was a slight bow on the driver's side and none on the passenger's. I bought the RK correction pads from @Northridge4x4 for $25 with forum discount and I'm just waiting to find time to install them.

drivrside.jpg

OP
OP

chamox

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red Rubicon
Thanks for the input! I have one of the larger Harbor Freight floor jack and some of their larger jack-stands. I hope they are high enough...

So that amount of bowing is ok? Maybe I need to go with that correction kit and just get it also.

I'm wondering about going with the RE kit. But wasn't too crazy about the 4wp guy selling me so hard.

Sponsored

eWiRED

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLJL74 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
regarding the bow with the Mopar springs....I came across a video from JPP that states the bow is intentional on the springs. I'm new to the JL scene as I just ordered a 2020. Has this been disproven and a cover up with JPP?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
FYI. BAM Mopar Parts out of Ohio is shipping the third generation Mopar lift (-AC) at about $1100.00. Even the third generation lift didn't completely fix the bowing on the driver's side. Yes, you can do it in your garage with a jack and jack stands. I'm sure you can run a 37X12.5-17 on the stock rim as I've seen it done on this forum with a 1.75 wheel spacer. On mine, there was a slight bow on the driver's side and none on the passenger's. I bought the RK correction pads from @Northridge4x4 for $25 with forum discount and I'm just waiting to find time to install them.

drivrside.jpg
do you have the AC version lift? if so can you take a picture of the part numbers of the components page so I can see if any part numbers changed from the list I have? I want to run the Mopar lift springs and hard parts, but will use different shocks and LCA.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
do you have the AC version lift? if so can you take a picture of the part numbers of the components page so I can see if any part numbers changed from the list I have? I want to run the Mopar lift springs and hard parts, but will use different shocks and LCA.
Yes, I installed the -AC version a few months back. Attached pics are after the RK isolator perch pads and Teraflex trackbar relocation bracket that I installed last night. The bow on the driver's side spring looks a little better. I will drive it around later this week and see if it settles in. I also took a quick pic of the parts list dated October 2018.

list.jpg

list1.jpg

track.jpg

rtspring.jpg

lftspring.jpg
Sponsored