Got my JL ceramic coated today

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
Thanks for your detailed response. Looks like he uses FeynLab. Another installer I’m looking at uses GTECHNIQ and IGL. They are supposedly a more expensive installer but I’ve not gotten a price from either as they want me to bring in my Jeep and I’ve not had the time yet.

I’m still not positive I want it done. Seems to be a lot of good maintenance required and I’m not great at doing that. I’d rather be riding and driving than washing. Plus it seems you can’t use a touch car wash and I have access to free washes through a bay that has some sort of rubberized tentacles that touch the vehicle (not a traditional spinning brush).

Thinking a sealant and some PPF may be a better option for me.
Generally an inspection is required to get an idea if the paint condition. Even though a vehicle is new the paint can be trashed already. I did a clay and light polish on mine before applying IGL Quartz plus. (I'm an Authorized IGL installer and Kenzo certified) My parents bought a 19 Traverse and it was rough, paint was full of rail dust and fallout. Then a more aggressive 2 step paint correction was needed on flat panels.

Coatings are not bulletproof or scratch proof. They make it easier to keep the vehicle cleaner longer and washing is easier. It also protects the clearcoat from fallout, bird bombs, and additional UV protection and is more resistant to abrasion than the clear coat but is susceptible to micromarring and will show what appears as swirl marks.

I'm not a fan of drive thru car washes, even the rubber beats the hell out of your vehicles. Once coated I suggest a touchless to knock the heavy stuff off and a rinseless wash for your contact wash. I am more anal than the average person and see swirls minor defects that most people don't notice. I guess that's why I detail cars. Ppf is a great option if its in the budget, the new self healing options are amazing!! If you have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to help.

20180921_140156.jpg

20180830_133901.jpg
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Generally an inspection is required to get an idea if the paint condition. Even though a vehicle is new the paint can be trashed already. I did a clay and light polish on mine before applying IGL Quartz plus. (I'm an Authorized IGL installer and Kenzo certified) My parents bought a 19 Traverse and it was rough, paint was full of rail dust and fallout. Then a more aggressive 2 step paint correction was needed on flat panels.

Coatings are not bulletproof or scratch proof. They make it easier to keep the vehicle cleaner longer and washing is easier. It also protects the clearcoat from fallout, bird bombs, and additional UV protection and is more resistant to abrasion than the clear coat but is susceptible to micromarring and will show what appears as swirl marks.

I'm not a fan of drive thru car washes, even the rubber beats the hell out of your vehicles. Once coated I suggest a touchless to knock the heavy stuff off and a rinseless wash for your contact wash. I am more anal than the average person and see swirls minor defects that most people don't notice. I guess that's why I detail cars. Ppf is a great option if its in the budget, the new self healing options are amazing!! If you have any questions let me know, I'll be happy to help.
Awesome! Thanks for your help!

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@Supercharged

Dropped my JL off to get IGL Kenzo applied to the entire exterior. Also getting PPF on the grill, front of hood, and all fenders. Supposedly the PPF they use is self-healing as you mentioned. Thanks for your guidance.

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
@Supercharged

Dropped my JL off to get IGL Kenzo applied to the entire exterior. Also getting PPF on the grill, front of hood, and all fenders. Supposedly the PPF they use is self-healing as you mentioned. Thanks for your guidance.
Great choices, will definitely keep your JL protected for a long time. The new PPF technology is amazing compared to just a few years ago. Let me know how it turns out!

If you dont mind, could you PM me the shop. Curious if its anyone I know.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great choices, will definitely keep your JL protected for a long time. The new PPF technology is amazing compared to just a few years ago. Let me know how it turns out!

If you dont mind, could you PM me the shop. Curious if its anyone I know.
Sent!

Sponsored

mcmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU Granite Metallic
Occupation
SuBourbon Socialite
@Supercharged

So how did you like your PPF ceramic coating combo result?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how did you like your PPF ceramic coating combo result?
Seems to be a nice combo. You can’t see the PPF unless you really get close and look for the edges. Jury is out on how it does with gravel but seems to be worth the money so far. The ceramic coating is pretty amazing in looks and in the rain. I haven’t washed it yet myself.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Talked to a local guy who comes highly recommended and he said he would need my Jeep for 3-4 days. Is that normal? His shop is nearly an hour away and I'm not inclined to give someone my JL for that long unless it's totally worth it. I work from home, so this won't be driven a lot of daily miles but I do plan on getting off-road. Just not sure if ceramic is worth the time and cost.
I just did mine, started with clay bar entire Jeep, then Gyeon Prep, Gyeon Rim (MUST WAIT 24HRS TO DRIVE) Gyeon Leather (about 2-4 hours to sit on), Gyeon Glass, Gyeon View (24 hrs before getting wet) Gyeon Pure 1 coat is all you apply, Gyeon Pure after the Cure, (24 hours before you can drive it after Pure). Gyeon Tire Awesome stuff.
It took me 3 days off and on but the jeep looks awesome and should last 2 years.
Everything is at AutoGeek (slow shipping) and Detailed Image (fast shipping) both run 25% off and free shipping all the time.
It is not hard just time consuming and you need to wait the times unless you have the heat lamps.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I've never heard of someone spending hundreds, thousands of dollars in a vain effort to protect paint on an offroad vehicle. Maybe you don't plan on taking it off the pavement.

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Guess I've never heard of someone spending hundreds, thousands of dollars in a vain effort to protect paint on an offroad vehicle. Maybe you don't plan on taking it off the pavement.
Nothing wrong with not wanting a rust bucket in 2 years, its a couple of bucks to keep things nice

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with not wanting a rust bucket in 2 years, its a couple of bucks to keep things nice
It won't be a rust bucket in 2 years. My 2012 JK has plenty of scratches and no rust because I touch them up with paint. That's $7 of paint versus $500 to $1,000 of other stuff that has to be redone every couple of years. But it's your money to waste. If I had a Ferrari I might consider it.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I did mine myself yesterday with Cquartz UK 3.0. Two coats topped with reload. It’s really easy to apply on a new car, it’s just time consuming. Started with a strip car wash using CG citrus wash, followed by ironx. Then wiped with Spotless to remove water spots the poor detailing job it was delivered with. I then inspected the paint with a fancy detailers light to see swirls scratches and imperfections and decided it wasn’t necessary to do the whole car. All in all, 6.5 hrs yesterday and love the results.

9C25FDC3-3845-4FCE-B1B8-8334EB4E1318.jpeg

BF3AE1A6-C3D1-4E7A-96AA-3315737465A1.jpeg

4B8EBD9E-9EE0-47B4-A698-548E9ACDDC45.jpeg

raj21747

First Name
raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R. Enfield500, Suzuki M109, 392XR, 1999 TJ
My shop quoted me $1700 for 4 coats of 9H ceramic coat with lifetime warranty. Will need 3 days. 1 coat of 9H is $1250 for 5 year warranty. Factory paint is apparently 2H thick.
- still undecided if it's worth it or should I just forget about it just like any of the other cars....

Frustration

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19-JLU
My shop quoted me $1700 for 4 coats of 9H ceramic coat with lifetime warranty. Will need 3 days. 1 coat of 9H is $1250 for 5 year warranty. Factory paint is apparently 2H thick.
- still undecided if it's worth it or should I just forget about it just like any of the other cars....

Just do it yourself (unless you're disabled).

The Ceramics today are WAY easier than just a short time ago and the results are fantastic. Chemical guys has an updated spray on that actually does a VERY good job. Adams and Chem guys have the more traditional liquids too, and they're very easy on and off. The hardest part is paint prep. If you want to have something done, go to a good wash or shop and have them clay and polish your car but leave it unwaxed then do the ceramic yourself... The upcharge that shops are getting for Ceramic are INSANE given how easy the updated products are now.
Sponsored