Got my JL ceramic coated today

Sjhocking

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I have been doing tons of research on ceramic coating or wrapping of our new Wrangler, we just picked it up Friday. I decided to go with a local detailer at a lower cost that does paint correction and Opti-Coat Ceramic coating. I saw some of his work and reviews so I felt comfortable that he wasn’t a hack and for the price $500 I’d give it a try.

He showed me under a special light how bad the Wrangler paint is, which we knew from seeing a paint drip on rear door and how bad the painted top looked.

He came to our house and did all the work in our garage. He took the top off and the spare tire to make sure he got all the pain coated. He spent about 5 hours at our house working non-stop. So far I think it was well worth it just for the paint correction, we will see when we get it dirty how easy it is to clean.

That picture is me taking a picture of the door, see the handle. Pretty crazy
4B707D07-771C-468A-AFEC-CAACE1E0FFFA.jpeg
3077C561-1D42-4633-A017-9A2AB4554DB6.jpeg
Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
A better shot is to angle the camera and you can really see if he got all the swirls out. Everything looks more clear from straight on. I also noticed how the orange peel was pretty visible to me when I picked mine up. I detail cars on the side so paint like that always catches my eye. was it a 1 or 2 step correction? 500$ is a great price considering what's involved.

JohnP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Yukon Denali, 2006 F350, 2006 AMG CLK55
Occupation
Troublemaker
If I knew someone who would come do this at my house I’d gladly pay $500. :)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
$100/hr is good money for a labor job. That said, I have my Camaro ceramic coated and it has been very good for 2 years. Not the be-all, end-all protection, but good.

AJZ

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks great! I did mine too.I use Adams Ceramic Boost spray as a detail spray. Keeps the coating looking good.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I have ceramic coating on my Challenger. Just to eliminate the orange peel and never need to worry about swirl marks again makes this worthwhile. Also, I can see this standing up to trail "pinstripes". It is truly great. $500 is an absolute deal so enjoy!

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even plan to wash mine other than cleaning salt from treated roads. Looks good though.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I have ceramic coating on my Challenger. Just to eliminate the orange peel and never need to worry about swirl marks again makes this worthwhile. Also, I can see this standing up to trail "pinstripes". It is truly great. $500 is an absolute deal so enjoy!
Ceramic coating won't stop rock chips or pinstripes. PPF is what you want if you want that level of protection. It gives you more chemical resistance and an easier to clean surface. I love ceramic coating, just want to make sure people don't think it's some hardened armor layer that protects against physical damage. Even the best coatings aren't that good.

Sponsored

Villagevip

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Black cars, hardest ever, to keep looking great....Smart to ceramic coat...Pays for itself, when the time comes to say, goodbye ol' friend...
Place the Jeep out in the sun to see quality body work.....IMHO..

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Ceramic coating won't stop rock chips or pinstripes. PPF is what you want if you want that level of protection. It gives you more chemical resistance and an easier to clean surface. I love ceramic coating, just want to make sure people don't think it's some hardened armor layer that protects against physical damage. Even the best coatings aren't that good.
My experience with ceramic coating tells a different story. For daily use and care it’s great. From the factory there is PPF on the lower fenders and doors. Agreed, for a clear bra, frontal protection and rock chip exposed parts, PPF is superior protection but plastic wrapping a Jeep in PPF would be ridiculously expensive, don’t you agree? There are trail vinyl wraps available that are disposable if you’re wanting to avoid pinstripes for much less.

Jeep your tips up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 2.0 Bright White Dual Tops
Is it just mine JL - or does the GRILL on the Bright white look a little creamier than the rest of the paint?

Last edited:

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Is it just mine JL - or does the GRILL on the Bright white look a little creamier than the rest of the paint?
I have an F150 that this is the case on. I took it to a body shop and they said that white is very difficult to match when painting metal and plastic. For some reason the same paint will look different based on what it is applied too.
Sponsored