Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any independent, reputable studies that show ceramic coating does anything significant to justify all the work and expense that has to be repeated every few years?
Sponsored

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
Are there any independent, reputable studies that show ceramic coating does anything significant to justify all the work and expense that has to be repeated every few years?
What exactly are you looking for as far as a study? A professional prep of a vehicle normally includes thorough exterior wash, mechanical and chemical decontamination followed by a light polish at the minimum to improve paint condition. Then another wash and IPA wipe to ensure oils are removed from the paint and it is naked.

As the coating is applied it fills I. The pores of the paint giving it a smoother and more glossy/reflective appearance. Higher end coatings cure to a hardness higher than standard clearcoat making it more durable. This layer also enhances uva/uvb protection. The coating also acts as a sacrificial layer to protect your Jeep's paint against etching from acid rain, birs bombs, etc.

The coating will only last so long before needing to be polished and a fresh coating reapplied. Proper maintenance and care of your exterior will extend the life.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly are you looking for as far as a study? A professional prep of a vehicle normally includes thorough exterior wash, mechanical and chemical decontamination followed by a light polish at the minimum to improve paint condition. Then another wash and IPA wipe to ensure oils are removed from the paint and it is naked.

As the coating is applied it fills I. The pores of the paint giving it a smoother and more glossy/reflective appearance. Higher end coatings cure to a hardness higher than standard clearcoat making it more durable. This layer also enhances uva/uvb protection. The coating also acts as a sacrificial layer to protect your Jeep's paint against etching from acid rain, birs bombs, etc.

The coating will only last so long before needing to be polished and a fresh coating reapplied. Proper maintenance and care of your exterior will extend the life.
Meaning someone that makes and sells the product and professional installers can say what it takes to prep and install but what independent proof is there that any of this is any better than waxing a couple of times a year? I don't waste my money on fads, and they are because just a few years ago the big thing was high tech water coatings that promised the same thing. If you want to do it fine, I was asking for independent research showing significant benefit before I believe in it.

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
Meaning someone that makes and sells the product and professional installers can say what it takes to prep and install but what independent proof is there that any of this is any better than waxing a couple of times a year? I don't waste my money on fads, and they are because just a few years ago the big thing was high tech water coatings that promised the same thing. If you want to do it fine, I was asking for independent research showing significant benefit before I believe in it.
I would say ask online for people who have their vehicle coated. They will be your best reference.

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
If I knew someone who would come do this at my house I’d gladly pay $500. :)
I know this is late as all hell, but my guy paint corrects and ceramic coats for $399-499 depending on what it is. I got my entire vehicle paint corrected, wheels, suspension components and panels all ceramic coated for $450

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
A year later......Seems like you already made up your mind about it based off of your posts.

jamicek

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jo wrangler
Just curious
My shop quoted me $1700 for 4 coats of 9H ceramic coat with lifetime warranty. Will need 3 days. 1 coat of 9H is $1250 for 5 year warranty. Factory paint is apparently 2H thick.
- still undecided if it's worth it or should I just forget about it just like any of the other cars....
Just curious, will shop be there for life of your Jeep, to back up the warRandy? Hmmmm