Sponsored

Got hit passenger front tire. What should I check for?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Given that the stock tierod is pretty weak, I'd crawl under there and look at it pretty good. Same for the draglink. The trackbar has a snake bend in it and you can't tell much by looking at it. The two control arms that run aft of the axle to the frame would likely have taken the brunt of a blow from the front. They could have been damaged. Jack it and spin the wheel to see if the wheel runs true.

Until it gets a thorough inspection, I wouldn't be driving it above surface street speeds (think 35mph).

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

right off the bat of the orignal post the axle has been pushed off center. This can be checked rather quick. jack up the jeep and put jack stands on the frame. and pull one side of the track bar off and see if it recenters itself. if not then you have worst things going on. just my two cents but that would be where i started.. as you see in the OP pictures the springs on both sides are pulled/leaning to the driver side. if it was my jeep i would be changing the drag link, track bar, tie rod, upper and lower control arms. inspect for axle seals leaking.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
right off the bat of the orignal post the axle has been pushed off center. This can be checked rather quick. jack up the jeep and put jack stands on the frame. and pull one side of the track bar off and see if it recenters itself. if not then you have worst things going on. just my two cents but that would be where i started.. as you see in the OP pictures the springs on both sides are pulled/leaning to the driver side. if it was my jeep i would be changing the drag link, track bar, tie rod, upper and lower control arms. inspect for axle seals leaking.
The OP posted almost 2 years ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Got hit passenger front tire. What should I check for? snoop-snoopy

#GinjaNinja had a similar accident in a JT and posted yesterday.

But you spurred me to think that jacking it and pulling the wheels, then measuring from the upper knuckle to the frame on each side should tell you if the axle is grossly off center.

If so, then your advice about the trackbar and other components is probably on target. In particular, I recall a member posting how the OEM tierod has a hole for a rivet thru it and it buckled there when he was off-roading.

And, again, I'd spin that wheel to ensure it runs true as the wheel or hub can get bent.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
The OP posted almost 2 years ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Got hit passenger front tire. What should I check for? snoop-snoopy

#GinjaNinja had a similar accident in a JT and posted yesterday.

But you spurred me to think that jacking it and pulling the wheels, then measuring from the upper knuckle to the frame on each side should tell you if the axle is grossly off center.

If so, then your advice about the trackbar and other components is probably on target. In particular, I recall a member posting how the OEM tierod has a hole for a rivet thru it and it buckled there when he was off-roading.

And, again, I'd spin that wheel to ensure it runs true as the wheel or hub can get bent.
Thanks and yea, google brought me to this thread and since the OP appeared to still be active on the forums, figured I would bump this to see if he got a clear determination of what bent/broke :fingerscrossed:. At a minimum I will likely order new steering linkages, tie rods, and track bar regardless of what the inspection turns up. I would be really surprised if there are axle issues (hope not) considering what Jeeps are capable of on rocks and the impact in my accident was not that hard and at low speed but who knows.

Cheers

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks and yea, google brought me to this thread and since the OP appeared to still be active on the forums, figured I would bump this to see if he got a clear determination of what bent/broke :fingerscrossed:. At a minimum I will likely order new steering linkages, tie rods, and track bar regardless of what the inspection turns up. I would be really surprised if there are axle issues (hope not) considering what Jeeps are capable of on rocks and the impact in my accident was not that hard and at low speed but who knows.

Cheers
You might look into aftermarket parts. Those particular OEM parts are marginal IMO. My choice was SteerSmarts Yeti Pro trackbar, tierod and draglink.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
You might look into aftermarket parts. Those particular OEM parts are marginal IMO. My choice was SteerSmarts Yeti Pro trackbar, tierod and draglink.
Oh yes of course ;). One thing with accidents are they are a great excuse to upgrade parts!

I am thinking of trying the Doestch aluminum 2.5 ton tierod and drag link. Really undecided on the trackbar but leaning towards the Yeti XD at the moment.

Cheers
Sponsored