Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Got caught for about 15-20m in crazy downpour. Probably had an inch of water in cup holders. About 5 minutes from home the screen started going crazy going through every option by itself and calling through my contacts til turned off Bluetooth on my phone.

i tried turning off the screen but it wouldn’t do it.

It’s now sitting in garage and took couple towels to it.
What’s the protocol for these types of heavy water intake?
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
What’s the protocol for these types of heavy water intake?
I'd let it sit in the sun and dry out as much as possible. While you're doing this, disconnect both batteries for at least 20 minutes to let the UConnect, CANBUS, and everything else shut down and reset.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I'd let it sit in the sun and dry out as much as possible. While you're doing this, disconnect both batteries for at least 20 minutes to let the UConnect, CANBUS, and everything else shut down and reset.
ok cool, thanks.Given rain is still coming strong with no signs of stopping I’ll have to do that in the morning.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CT_LFC

Other's here have had an issue like you are having .... rain and UConnect gets wacko..

After a day or so, once things dry out, all should return to normal. Leave the windows on the JL open as much as you can and leave the JL out in the Sun, etc. to encourage drying out..

Now, the UConnect rebooting over and over tonight will see your JL with a dead battery(s) tomorrow.

Don't wait until tomorrow to act!

As mentioned, you can/could go to all the trouble of disconnecting both batteries, but that is not really necessary.

All you need to do, to kill power to UConnect.... is to pull fuse F97 in the PDC. This will kill all power to UConnect... you will see screen and all go dark..

Now, you can drive with the F97 fuse out ... and in a couple of days when all seems to be dried out a bit, just plug F97 in and see how UConnect behaves..

Jeep Wrangler JL Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy Capture22.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
That’s in the fuse box on left side of hood behind battery?

all the little fuses are of low numerical values 10 through 40ish

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s in the fuse box on left side of hood behind battery?

all the little fuses are of low numerical values 10 through 40ish
@CT_LFC

Look at the picture showing the fuses in the PDC that I posted earlier..

You are looking for F97, which is a Yellow 20 amp fuse.

Fuse Box (PDC) is in engine compartment. It is a black box with cover, right behind the Main battery..

There is a little plastic/yellow fuse puller right there in the box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Based on diagram it’s that little yellow one with the “20” on it in left corner below the purple 30. It’s stuck in there pretty tight so might need a flat screw driver to pop it up?
Jeep Wrangler JL Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy 61246068-186C-4E86-B096-D9ABEE6861A9

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Whew. Got it out. YT video made me realize the fuse box has a fuse remover but of course i dropped it in the engine bay and was a pain to retrieve it. Fuse is out and JL is tucked for the night. Thanks for the help.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CT_LFC

Yellow arrow in this pic points directly to F97
Jeep Wrangler JL Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy 20200822_202448

Sponsored

SeanR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Based on diagram it’s that little yellow one with the “20” on it in left corner below the purple 30. It’s stuck in there pretty tight so might need a flat screw driver to pop it up?
Jeep Wrangler JL Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy 20200822_202448
Interesting how many empty slots there are in this fuse box compared to the one in the later pic.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting how many empty slots there are in this fuse box compared to the one in the later pic.
@SeanR1

Funny, I thought the same.... My PDC is packed full and the OP's is not.

Guess, much depends on how the JL is provisioned (like tow package with Aux Switches, heated seats and such) for a lack of a better word.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Hope it dries out and everything is good. A little tip someone gave me was to carry Glad press and seal and if it starts raining put it around the radio system. I've now started carrying this when I'm topless...just in case

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SeanR1

I noticed your *** If you come to a fork in the road, take it. *** at the bottom of all your posts.

Each time I see this/your comment, I think of this landmark, that is just down the road from me,at my NY place...

the pic is taken, right at a.........
Jeep Wrangler JL Got caught in heavy downpour. Uconnect acting crazy Fork in Road

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Yea it is quite interesting. I did not get tow package with the aux switches but it is a well loaded Rubi with heated seats/wheel, blind spot and other things.
Sponsored