Got 35s! It starting to come together!

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So I got some 35s for my 2018 JL Sport S. 17x9 Tactik wheels with 5in back space, Toyo AT2 35x12.5, Rubicon take off springs and shocks, lower control arms form the mopar lift kit, Teraflex 1.5in leveling kit. No rubbing lock to lock, and they just barely stick out past the fenders. Barely fit on the stock tire carrier, but I have a reinforcement plate on the way. Smittybilt front and rear bumbers and side rails.

Planning Fabtech fenders, winch, and a light bar when I get done paying for all of this.

I really like this set up, it really drives great, tracks nice and straight although the Rubicon suspension is firmer then my sport suspension, to me its a good thing!

I will get a real lift down the road, but for the money I am very happy!

Thanks for everyone's help answering my questions!

James[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

20190822_141751.jpg

20190822_141800.jpg
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Looking good! The AT2 is a nice tire too.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Th
So I got some 35s for my 2018 JL Sport S. 17x9 Tactik wheels with 5in back space, Toyo AT2 35x12.5, Rubicon take off springs and shocks, lower control arms form the mopar lift kit, Teraflex 1.5in leveling kit. No rubbing lock to lock, and they just barely stick out past the fenders. Barely fit on the stock tire carrier, but I have a reinforcement plate on the way. Smittybilt front and rear bumbers and side rails.

Planning Fabtech fenders, winch, and a light bar when I get done paying for all of this.

I really like this set up, it really drives great, tracks nice and straight although the Rubicon suspension is firmer then my sport suspension, to me its a good thing!

I will get a real lift down the road, but for the money I am very happy!

Thanks for everyone's help answering my questions!

James[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

20190822_141751.jpg

20190822_141800.jpg
Thumbs up.
Do you plan to off road? That's not a manly challenge question or anything. I'll explain why I asked if you answer yes :)

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Th

Thumbs up.
Do you plan to off road? That's not a manly challenge question or anything. I'll explain why I asked if you answer yes :)
Any off roading I do will be on trails the sport could have handled stock. Nothing crazy at all, but go ahead with what you were gonna say.

James

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any off roading I do will be on trails the sport could have handled stock. Nothing crazy at all, but go ahead with what you were gonna say.

James
OK :)
A guy here on the forum contacted Dana/Spycer about the axles that come with the Sport and Sahara (i.e. not the Dana44s unless you ordered that)
They said you can run 35s on them and do light off roading but any serious off roading is a no no unless you upgrade the shafts to Cromoly.
Since we do off road aggressively I plan on grabbing a set of shafts for $355 when we throw the 35s on the Jeep. A lot of people are unaware of this and frankly you'd probably get away with it most of the time even being aggressive off road, but it's that time you get too heavy on the skinny pedal or too bouncy and "snap"... that sucks.

Please post pics here when you add the other stuff. I would love to see it, especially the fenders.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
OK :)
A guy here on the forum contacted Dana/Spycer about the axles that come with the Sport and Sahara (i.e. not the Dana44s unless you ordered that)
They said you can run 35s on them and do light off roading but any serious off roading is a no no unless you upgrade the shafts to Cromoly.
Since we do off road aggressively I plan on grabbing a set of shafts for $355 when we throw the 35s on the Jeep. A lot of people are unaware of this and frankly you'd probably get away with it most of the time even being aggressive off road, but it's that time you get too heavy on the skinny pedal or too bouncy and "snap"... that sucks.

Please post pics here when you add the other stuff. I would love to see it, especially the fenders.
I'm by absolutely no means disputing this information, but I'm curious why tire size would matter for the axle. Too much torque, weight?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm by absolutely no means disputing this information, but I'm curious why tire size would matter for the axle. Too much torque, weight?
No problem.
The axle shafts on the non Dana44 axles are not as fat/strong, so when you add a larger tire (i.e. more mass) there is more strain on the shaft to turn that mass. Under normal driving conditions and light off roading this is not an issue BUT when you start seriously wheeling off road where you are fighting for traction or needing to give it a good pop on the skinny pedal the risk rises significantly that the shaft will fail under that stress.
Could you do it? Sure and if you were really careful and smart and picked good lines you could probably do it forever. For $355 and an afternoon in the garage I'd feel a lot better with those Chromoloy shafts in there. :)
Breaking down in the trail is no fun.
Note: We are talking about shafts, the part INSIDE the axle under the Jeep. That is actually the axle housing you see, the shafts are inside it. The housing is also beefier on the Dana44 but the shafts are the weak spot 99% of the time. Any housing will fail if you crack it down on a rock hard enough. :)

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a link to these axles? How much you think it would xost for install? Is that for front and rear?

Thanks

James

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The link is below, this is for the rear shafts only, that's where I would start and then eventually throw the fronts in. This is something you could do yourself IF you are very comfortable working on vehicles and have good mechanical skills.
If you took all the parts to a shop I'd imagine you'd be in the $300-$400 range for an install but I would call the shop first.
These are from Spicer/Dana so it'd be the way to go.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-spicer/axle-shaft-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-dana-35-rear-axle

The front kit looks to be double the cost and I just found out you can delete the axle disconnect on the JL. That's a week spot since it's one more thing that can break under strain. The only reason it's there is to "save on gas" since it completely disconnects the axle from the diff... I think I got that part correct. Anyway I think that will be in the future too. Dang we should have bought a Rubi.
Sponsored