First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Well this sounds good but what happens when you get into an accident, does your head crack instead of the glass?
I imagine lots of pitting and compression fractures, but no real cracks. Along that line, and I've lost far too many hours of sleep thinking about this, what happens if your passenger happens to be a real live gorilla and you are in an accident? A gorilla head against gorilla glass...who wins??? 😁

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Years ago when I bought my first F150, there was an option for something called diamond plate or diamond something a rather. My understanding was that even the factory glass if you look at it under a microscope looks like a mountain scene with all sorts of hills and valleys. What this diamond coding does is level everything out so it’s nice and smooth and there’s less chance of a rock catching one of those hills or valleys and crack in the windshield. If it works, It would be worth the investment, if it doesn’t really what have you got to lose other than the cost of the application

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well this sounds good but what happens when you get into an accident, does your head crack instead of the glass?
Ummm... where a seatbelt?

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Just saw this and wonder if anyone had experience with these replacement windshields??
Hell, mine is really pitted in just 22k miles

Gorilla Glass Link
My solution worked perfectly. I got a shattered windshield at about 500 miles on the odometer. I then lowered my deductible from $500 to $100, paying an extra $200 per year.

Since then, I haven't had so much as a large bug hit my windshield.

As Deadpool said, "worth it"

Sponsored

WhiskeyChick24

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Just saw this and wonder if anyone had experience with these replacement windshields??
Hell, mine is really pitted in just 22k miles

Gorilla Glass Link
I was doing some research on the GG also for my 2021 JLU, but have not made up my mind as of yet. In the interim I opted to include full glass coverage in my policy. With any luck it will save me some money. Because I know it’s not a matter of if... It’s a matter of when.

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My solution worked perfectly. I got a shattered windshield at about 500 miles on the odometer. I then lowered my deductible from $500 to $100, paying an extra $200 per year.

Since then, I haven't had so much as a large bug hit my windshield.

As Deadpool said, "worth it"
Some people have mentioned that their regular auto policy will only cover windshield replacement a certain number of times. Has anybody here ever encountered that with their policy?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I respect the fact that every decision FCA makes about what to put into a Wrangler, either as a stock or accessory feature, or not at all (assuming the aftermarket to provide it if needed,) is a calculation of how it will influence profit.

Still more, within law, I appreciate FCA exec's mandate to maximize its stock holder's profit, not make customers happy--the latter a means to an ends of the first, not its own goal (not that FCA goes out of its way to make customers unhappy or doesn't "care")..

I get that every decision to raise base price (with features) can dissuade a certain number of potential buyers on the one hand, while potentially increase profits/sale for those who do "bite."

And yet finally, I appreciate that FCA does incorporate many features into its Wrangler not found in other vehicles to make if off road capable.

All this said, if you're going to produce a vehicle with off road indications.....wait...more to point, if you're going to produce an on road vehicle with the windshield angle of a Wrangler, where debris flies into it at angles closer to perpendicular than most other vehicles is inevitable, should things like Gorilla glass even be a feature or standard?

I've had 2 windshields replaced. The first was to just such debris forming cracks in the windshield, and the second, 2 weeks later, when a crank formed in the OEM replacement while sitting on my driveway, all while nothing but changing temperatures came into contact with it.
If it cracks from natural changes in ambient temperature, that’s just a totally horrible design or manufacturing flaw.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Ummm... where a seatbelt?
Two reasons, one I wear a duty belt and two I'm left handed, have you ever had your seat belt catch onto your duty holster?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Do what I did, buy some of the epoxy glass crack repair kits. I guarantee you won't have as much as a large bee hit your windshield after.

Sponsored

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I cracked my windshield with my antenna. I took my hardtop off with a Top Lift Pro and parked my Jeep Rubicon under the top. My antenna is a little higher than the underside of the top and it got caught under the top. When I pulled out of the garage, the antenna whipped back and hit the windshield. It cracked it the same as if a rock hit it on the freeway, but there were no chips in the glass.

I called Jeep customer care to see if they would cover the repair, since it was their antenna that caused the damage. The answer after jumping through a lot of hoops was NO.

So, I replaced the antenna with a 21 inch Stubby antenna to avoid having that happen again.

Today, I bought the Hyperformance Gorilla Glass windshield. I am glad I don't have the "Advanced Safety Group" otherwise the GG windshield would not be available yet and the installation cost would be a lot more.

I used coupon htough50 to get a $50 discount. So the windshield was $699.95 - $50 = 649.95, plus taxes. Ground shipping was free.

I was told it would take 5-7 business days for the windshield to arrive from Michigan to California. They recommended an installer called Mobile Auto Glass Solutions in Lakeside (San Diego County). I called and they would do the install for $149. They charge extra if you are further away. But, they told me they will guarantee their work against leaks or wind noise due to not sealing the windshield correctly.

Hopefully, the new windshield will hold up a lot better than the factory windshield.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla Glass Windshield JeepWind2

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I cracked my windshield with my antenna. I took my hardtop off with a Top Lift Pro and parked my Jeep Rubicon under the top. My antenna is a little higher than the underside of the top and it got caught under the top. When I pulled out of the garage, the antenna whipped back and hit the windshield. It cracked it the same as if a rock hit it on the freeway, but there were no chips in the glass.

I called Jeep customer care to see if they would cover the repair, since it was their antenna that caused the damage. The answer after jumping through a lot of hoops was NO.

So, I replaced the antenna with a 21 inch Stubby antenna to avoid having that happen again.

Today, I bought the Hyperformance Gorilla Glass windshield. I am glad I don't have the "Advanced Safety Group" otherwise the GG windshield would not be available yet and the installation cost would be a lot more.

I used coupon htough50 to get a $50 discount. So the windshield was $699.95 - $50 = 649.95, plus taxes. Ground shipping was free.

I was told it would take 5-7 business days for the windshield to arrive from Michigan to California. They recommended an installer called Mobile Auto Glass Solutions in Lakeside (San Diego County). I called and they would do the install for $149. They charge extra if you are further away. But, they told me they will guarantee their work against leaks or wind noise due to not sealing the windshield correctly.

Hopefully, the new windshield will hold up a lot better than the factory windshield.

Thanks for post, I have been on their waiting since mid December..... arggggg.... calling tomorrow...

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Two reasons, one I wear a duty belt and two I'm left handed, have you ever had your seat belt catch onto your duty holster?
#Below100

Wear your belt

If its a problem keep the duty belt off and wear a paddle holster like I do till you get to the office. Plus you'll save the wear on your seats this way. Stay safe brother

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon

so almost $1000 installed? geez, no thanks, i'll replace it with OEM for free from insurance

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
so almost $1000 installed? geez, no thanks, i'll replace it with OEM for free from insurance
If your deductible is $0 and it is free to get a new OEM windshield, then free is hard to beat. But that was not the case for me or many others.

I agree that it is more expensive ($700+$149=$849 total), but I checked if my insurance would cover the total cost minus my deductible and they said Yes. My deductible is $250 so, it didn't cost me anything more. In the long run, it should also save the insurance company $$.

One should also consider the cost & frustration savings when the GG prevents getting a windshield replacement. I found out a factory windshield was $540 using Allstar Glass and I would have to pay $250. So, it may be worth spending a little more up front to save more $$ in the long run.
Sponsored

Last edited: