Sponsored

Gorilla Glass Windshield for JL - Not Available

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I waited for over a year to replace my wife's JLUR cracked windshield because the crack, while large, was all on the passenger side, and I figured the JL gorilla glass would surely be coming out soon. I mean they already made it for the JK... how long could it take to develop for the JL, unless they just didn't think there was a profit to be made on it and didn't intend to come out with it until more JLs were on the road?

But a few days ago I threw in the towel. Got an OEM replacement windshield from safelite for $550 installed by a mobile service guy, including tax.

So the good news for the rest of you is that probably means the JL Gorilla Glass windshield will be coming out next week. Kinda like how washing your car makes it rain, and such.
I'm curious if the ACC/LKA sensor is the delay. They probably have to test it to the nth degree in the JL where they didn't have to do that for the JK.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I waited for over a year to replace my wife's JLUR cracked windshield because the crack, while large, was all on the passenger side, and I figured the JL gorilla glass would surely be coming out soon. I mean they already made it for the JK... how long could it take to develop for the JL, unless they just didn't think there was a profit to be made on it and didn't intend to come out with it until more JLs were on the road?

But a few days ago I threw in the towel. Got an OEM replacement windshield from safelite for $550 installed by a mobile service guy, including tax.

So the good news for the rest of you is that probably means the JL Gorilla Glass windshield will be coming out next week. Kinda like how washing your car makes it rain, and such.
Lol! I tried that method of getting them to release it and it didn't work. I didn't wait as long as you, but I was sure it would come out right after I caved in.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I will take the baton from you. Holding out and waiting for a few months now. Will hold out as long as I can for Gorilla Glass. Or until I get a ticket. lol.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Made an appointment at Safelite for Feb 7, waited 6 months decided not to wait longer.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still holding out for these to be released.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Made an appointment at Safelite for Feb 7, waited 6 months decided not to wait longer.
The price on the latest one from SafeLite was a couple hundred less than the first one, so at least the cost came down. Same part number. My first one was early on, and my Jeep was VERY early JL production. At the time, SafeLite only had two in their Chicago distribution center and the first one the sent for me was broken by the tech. So the price was a premium. I think I paid 550 or 600 and I think I paid 350 or 400 for the second one, when the supply had gotten better. Still, I'd have rather forked over more for the Gorilla Glass.

If it isn't out yet, I'll be disappointed. They've had this indevelopment supposedly for a long time and the introduction has kept slipping and slipping.
I can get one for the JK right now. Of course, the JK hasn't needed one in 10 years and has held up much better than the JL windshields.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

thumperer

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
meltmedia.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Founder/BizDev
100% not interchangeable. They have an entirely different outline/shape.

Let me know how it goes! I just did the same and they said apparently the windshields are interchangeable between JK and JL?

thumperer

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
meltmedia.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Founder/BizDev