Sponsored

Gorilla Glass Windshield Broke After 4 Weeks

SargeRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr Rubicon
Pretty upset right now. I picked up my new JL last month and ended up getting GG option. Not even a month in and it cracked seemingly on its own. Assuming it looked like a clear manufacturer defect, I thought it would be covered. The dealership I took it to said they WOULDNT cover it because of some speckle on the crack that he believed to be a ‘point of impact’. I told him 1) that’s ridiculous 2) the Mopar website shows a 2yr warranty for the GG windshield regardless. So, he submitted the pictures and stated “it had cracked due to pebble chip” and FCA Denied covering it!! They said there is “no additional warranty for the GG Windshield”. I’m very confused bc not only does it show a warranty online but FCA customer care said it should be covered? I feel like I’m being scammed here 

Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
If it is just a small speck on the windshield it may not be covered. Here is what I downloaded from Mopar and it says blemishes smaller than a quarter are not covered. I would still raise hell and fight it.

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions. Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty. Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr Rubicon
If it is just a small speck on the windshield it may not be covered. Here is what I downloaded from Mopar and it says blemishes smaller than a quarter are not covered. I would still raise hell and fight it.

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions. Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty. Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.
The damage is actually about a 6in long cracl but they are trying to say it started from a sand grain sized blemish on the windshield and therefore it’s ‘not covered’ which is total BS.

OP
OP

SargeRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr Rubicon
OP
OP

SargeRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr Rubicon
Find a new dealership. They are wrong. The gorilla glass is covered under a warranty
That’s what I’m going to have to do. Just was hopping I didn’t have to drive an hour away to get it fixed. This dealer is right next door to my house.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The damage is actually about a 6in long cracl but they are trying to say it started from a sand grain sized blemish on the windshield and therefore it’s ‘not covered’ which is total BS.
Agree, i would raise hell

Sponsored

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I had my 392 2 weeks and took a very small rock. Speck size of a pin. Before I could say WTF, it had cracked over 6 inches in two directions 45 degrees from each other and them merged back together. Talked with the dealer and they pointed out that it had cracked too far for warranty. It cracked as soon as it was hit. I believe when they are installed at the factory some end up with what I will call "Factory Stresses". My normal Mopar windshield in my 19 Rubicon survived 12+ chips repaired by RainX kits from Walmart until I neglected a chip for a month.

I'm not sure if I want to replace with GG, No warranty and no support why spend the extra money.

Andy

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Pretty upset right now. I picked up my new JL last month and ended up getting GG option. Not even a month in and it cracked seemingly on its own. Assuming it looked like a clear manufacturer defect, I thought it would be covered. The dealership I took it to said they WOULDNT cover it because of some speckle on the crack that he believed to be a ‘point of impact’. I told him 1) that’s ridiculous 2) the Mopar website shows a 2yr warranty for the GG windshield regardless. So, he submitted the pictures and stated “it had cracked due to pebble chip” and FCA Denied covering it!! They said there is “no additional warranty for the GG Windshield”. I’m very confused bc not only does it show a warranty online but FCA customer care said it should be covered? I feel like I’m being scammed here 

Hold on-I had the same thing happen to myself and regardless if there was a chip or not it's still GC, I have a great dealership they took pictures submitted it and well three weeks later I got it fix. If possible go to another dealer seems to me someone doesn't want to do their friggin job. Best of luck. Keep the Jeep wave going.

OP
OP

SargeRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr Rubicon
I had my 392 2 weeks and took a very small rock. Speck size of a pin. Before I could say WTF, it had cracked over 6 inches in two directions 45 degrees from each other and them merged back together. Talked with the dealer and they pointed out that it had cracked too far for warranty. It cracked as soon as it was hit. I believe when they are installed at the factory some end up with what I will call "Factory Stresses". My normal Mopar windshield in my 19 Rubicon survived 12+ chips repaired by RainX kits from Walmart until I neglected a chip for a month.

I'm not sure if I want to replace with GG, No warranty and no support why spend the extra money.

Andy
EXACTLY what happened to me. Just found out if the gg isn’t purchased AFTERMARKET then the warranty doesn’t apply. So since it was factory installed there’s no warranty?? Jeep said they would cover it for me this time though.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
EXACTLY what happened to me. Just found out if the gg isn’t purchased AFTERMARKET then the warranty doesn’t apply. So since it was factory installed there’s no warranty?? Jeep said they would cover it for me this time though.
Guess I need to get on a local dealer and possibly contact @JeepCares . Just so disgusted dealing with dealers lately. Having to watch mine sit in the driveway since the dealer screwed up on the Tags.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What’s that Latin phrase
 caveat emptor?

when I bought my jeep GG was not an option but had it been

.. yeah, I still would not have it.