Sponsored

Gorilla glass my a$$! Cracked after just 2 months

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I knew that was a money grab gimmick. Ouch......
Maybe? But I wonder if the Gorilla Glass will hold up better to all the micro abrasions? I replaced a few windshields on my "19 JLR with OEM Mopar windshields. Everyone of them looked like crap after a few months. Tons of micro pitting in the glass. Like the glass was hit with a sandblaster.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
In the not too distant future, glass will be made form aluminum oxide rather than silica (sand). It will be stronger, lighter and somewhat flexible. this will prabaly start with an aluminum oxide film on the glass as they have not perfected how to make glass panes yet.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I would have bought gorilla glass but for two things
1) wasn’t offered on 4xe when I bought
2) anyone that would harm gorillas just for the sake of a windshield is disgusting. Y’all should be ashamed

*no gorillas were harmed in the making of MY 4xe*

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It was my understanding that the GG doesn't do anything for rocks, it's mostly in case of gorilla attacks. I didn't order it because we don't have gorillas where I live, but figured maybe some of you folks lived where they were more prevalent.

OsoAlaskaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Rubicon(waiting)
Is the free replacement part of the Gorilla Glass warranty or something?

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY
Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.
Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.
Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the warrantable period.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Damage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable. The damage from road debris referred to in this section is warrantable notwithstanding other provisions in the Mopar warranty.
Additional exclusions may apply.

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)

chappy200

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys 2 door, Sting Gray
Man, that sucks. I had the same thing happen to me after owning my new Jeep for less than 1 week. The Jeep warranty covered the replacement of the Gorilla glass to include labor. They send a tech out to the house and did the job in my driveway.

I was really surprised it happened as early as it did in my ownership. If I had not had the warranty the windshield itself, without installation was about $750.00 Hard to believe the windshield is that expensive.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla glass my a$$!  Cracked after just 2 months IMG_3499cro

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I have found that I after I get one crack or bullseye in my windshield I will get no more UNTIL I replace the windshield.

Matts43131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I've broken at least three phone screens with that garbage, wouldn't pay extra for a windshield made out of it. The design of the windshield is the problem, big flat piece of "thin" glass. Newer vehicles have "thinner" glass than vehicles from the 60's and 70's, my 2011 Challenger went through three.
Conversely I have had GG on my phones for the past decade, probably close to ~15 phones total, and ever never even scratched the GG.

It all comes down to use, abuse and luck. Its still glass, if you hit it wrong, it breaks.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I’ve had my 4xE for 2 months and a little rock his my windshield yesterday morning around 0615 and I got a nice sized crack from it.
My OEM Jeep glass in my JKU lasted over 9 months before I traded it in. I hope the warranty covers it, if not I bought their glass insurance.

Wow! Sorry that happened to you. Gorilla Glass wasn’t available when I ordered my 4xe back in April. My tint and PPF shop added Stek Dynoshield to the original factory windshield shortly after I took delivery. So far, it is holding up well.

Sponsored

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I heard someone got a crack in their Gorilla Windshield driving it home from the dealership. I just get the most generic glass available, because it will happen again

TXWRANGLER20

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It was never touted as invincible. Also, this is just one data point. We don’t know how many people with gorilla glass have had theirs hit and not crack.
Mine has taken a pretty good hit and not a mark on it. Cross my fingers and knocking on wood.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Bottom line, to those that have GG will you buy it again when you replace windshield?

JBOQ

First Name
Joye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jag F-Pace, waiting on 2021 Jeep Sahara
I just orde
I’ve had my 4xE for 2 months and a little rock his my windshield yesterday morning around 0615 and I got a nice sized crack from it.
My OEM Jeep glass in my JKU lasted over 9 months before I traded it in. I hope the warranty covers it, if not I bought their glass insurance.

I ordered a new Sahara Unlimited and the salesman tried really hard to get me to order the GG. But I had done research first and told him GG was cracking just like regular glass so no thanks!

Maurice82

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's Edition

It seems my Rubicon 4XE (purchased less than a month ago) cracked in the same area. I don't see any impact points. Thinking the -0 degree windshield overnight may be to blame. When I remote start the heat is @ 75° on blast. It possible the temperature change could've caused the cracking

20220204_065328.jpg

20220204_065605.jpg
Sponsored