Gorilla glass my a$$! Cracked after just 2 months

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Glass is glass, and glass will always have the possibility of breaking. Instead of spending more money on a "stronger" windshield. Use that extra money on windshield insurance.
Exactly! I just had my first windshield replaced (no more Willys driving up the passenger side šŸ˜”), and was only 6 weeks in. I paid just shy of $300 Canadian for the new windshield, but if I bought glass insurance through AMI I would be looking at an annual premium of only $180 (with a $25 deductible). That would pay for itself with just 1 windshield per year. You really canā€™t go wrong.

C61FF9E5-52DC-47F9-BFAC-8550072A63BD.png

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If Jeep put a rubber gasket around the windshield there would be a lot less breaks. But gasketed windshields donā€™t contribute to strength.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I knew that was a money grab gimmick. Ouch......
Wrangler windshield cracks have to do more with the angle of deflection than anything else. The $95 (now $195) offer's increased protection, but there are simply physical limitations. This isn't a highway vehicle.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably go with High Performance Glass Products next time (if my type of windshield is available). Just had my OEM (non-GG) windshield replaced. Within three weeks I got a nice chip - which I had filled) and then a rock whacked my windshield causing a replacement necessary. Nothing until 14k miles and then it all hit me like a storm LOL.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Wrangler windshield cracks have to do more with the angle of deflection than anything else. The $95 (now $195) offer's increased protection, but there are simply physical limitations. This isn't a highway vehicle.
You definitely canā€™t declare that the JL ā€œisnā€™t a highway vehicleā€ because of cracked windshields.
Having a windshield crack can happen to anyone, anywhere. But we (Jeep drivers) all know Jeep windshields crack easily because of its angle, just like you stated.
It was much worse on earlier models. At least the JL has a little bit of rake to it.

That said - my first cracked windshield on my JL happened doing less than 30mph on a backroad through a small town. I SAW the rock drop off the back of a dump truck, bounce once and than land perfectly in the middle of the glass. That was about a month into owning it.

If anything is a ā€œJeep thingā€ - itā€™s cracked windshields.

Sponsored

kbp810

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Jeep windshields and cracks go together like peanut butter and jelly, lol.

I work in wireless, and gorilla glass on phones never seemed to be all that special... they still cracked all the time. All GG did was give customers an outlet to complain about it breaking, thinking that it was supposed to make it invincible.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
You definitely canā€™t declare that the JL ā€œisnā€™t a highway vehicleā€ because of cracked windshields.
Having a windshield crack can happen to anyone, anywhere. But we (Jeep drivers) all know Jeep windshields crack easily because of its angle, just like you stated.
It was much worse on earlier models. At least the JL has a little bit of rake to it.

That said - my first cracked windshield on my JL happened doing less than 30mph on a backroad through a small town. I SAW the rock drop off the back of a dump truck, bounce once and than land perfectly in the middle of the glass. That was about a month into owning it.

If anything is a ā€œJeep thingā€ - itā€™s cracked windshields.
Another consideration is the ability to lower the windshield. I'll guess 1% of Wrangler owners even use this feature, but it affects the weight of the glass that can be used. Maybe Jeep should just drop the idea on the future JM.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
It was never touted as invincible. Also, this is just one data point. We donā€™t know how many people with gorilla glass have had theirs hit and not crack.
Thatā€™s like anything else. Someone will go to Dunkin a thousand times and you wonā€™t hear a word until they get grounds in their coffee or sugar instead of sweet n low. No one will post that a pebble hit their windshield and it didnā€™t crack or that they driven 10k miles without death wobble.

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield doesn't replace the original glass itself. The Gorilla portion is just an additional layer added to the inside of the windshield. The outside portion of the windshield is still standard glass. It's still going to break, but its probability of not breaking is much higher, especially for anything hitting the center of the windshield. Anything close to the edges, the Gorilla Glass won't do much. There's not enough glass surrounding the impact point to absorb the impact. I think it's worth the money still.

Edit: Also, time and mileage has nothing to do with this. No reason to put one vehicle lasted longer than the other for a broken windshield. Too many variables for that information to be relevant.
Yep.... variables like higher speed highway driving, gravel trucks and tailgating factor in more than time. I cringe everytime I meet a gravel truck on the highway and hug the white line.