HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Yes... it is 100% different.

I didn't mean they just add a layer onto the original windshield part number.

However, the Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield is just an absorbing layer laminated to the inside of the windshield.
So the added layer of protection is on the inside? Does that mean we don't need to wear seatbelts anymore?
Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Another yeah! for Florida! No deductible on windshield replacements / repairs:

Bear in mind, depending on your state car insurance requirements and policy, if you file an auto glass claim, the most you'll need to pay is your deductible — your insurance should cover the rest of the bill if the damage qualifies for coverage. Some state laws, like Florida's windshield replacement law, waive deductibles for broken windshields if the driver carries comprehensive coverage.

Check your state's laws

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So the added layer of protection is on the inside? Does that mean we don't need to wear seatbelts anymore?
Yeah. The Gorilla Glass layer is on the inside.

I can demonstrate, using M=FA, how it won't matter if you have Gorilla Glass or not; your body will go through the windshield without a seatbelt. Lol.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

I can demonstrate, using M=FA, how it won't matter if you have Gorilla Glass or not; your body will go through the windshield without a seatbelt. Lol.
But are you guaranteed "gorilla face" upon impact?

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Another yeah! for Florida! No deductible on windshield replacements / repairs:

Bear in mind, depending on your state car insurance requirements and policy, if you file an auto glass claim, the most you'll need to pay is your deductible — your insurance should cover the rest of the bill if the damage qualifies for coverage. Some state laws, like Florida's windshield replacement law, waive deductibles for broken windshields if the driver carries comprehensive coverage.

Check your state's laws
Yup - Michigan the same ;)

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Now if one of the aftermarket suppliers would just offer an old-fashioned thick heavy-ass windshield...I mean really, what off roader gives two shakes about a windshield that might be 5-10 pounds heavier if it meant holding up to stone hits better?
I remember as a little kid roaming through junk yards with windshields laying on the ground and trying to break them-without a lot of luck!

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I'll probably go with High Performance Glass Products next time (if my type of windshield is available). Just had my OEM (non-GG) windshield replaced. Within three weeks I got a nice chip - which I had filled) and then a rock whacked my windshield causing a replacement necessary. Nothing until 14k miles and then it all hit me like a storm LOL.
Just one thing to keep in mind: If you have any of the safety packages with windshield-mounted sensors for automatic braking, you will need to stick with OEM windshields. The dealer told me that flat out. Aftermarket glass will cause issues and system malfunction with those sensors. :(

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like people on the JL Facebook group are also having issues with GG cracking still too
Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla glass my a$$!  Cracked after just 2 months 7E750F1A-B76A-4DBF-B2A3-C6C0103573BF
wow, those are some massive hits. Those poor windshields took some shrapnel. smh.... I wonder if it was another wrangler with fenders removed and big tire offsets that caused this!?

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
haha, it probably means your head will still be smashed just the same but the windshield may not break as a result of your head hitting it :D

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Just one thing to keep in mind: If you have any of the safety packages with windshield-mounted sensors for automatic braking, you will need to stick with OEM windshields. The dealer told me that flat out. Aftermarket glass will cause issues and system malfunction with those sensors. :(
Yes, that is why I said " (if my type of windshield is available) ". I spoke with them initially when I was going to replace the windshield, but they said the offering for my Jeep with all the driver safety stuff should be coming online early 2022.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Everything I’ve read about Gorilla Glass is that it’s a chemical treatment to strengthen the glass, similar to tempered glass. No “layers” of anything. Just dipping the glass in a hot chemical bath.
But I’m certainly no expert. I just haven’t seen anything about it being single sided or a “layer” of anything. Rather a treatment that changes the physical properties of the glass.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Everything I’ve read about Gorilla Glass is that it’s a chemical treatment to strengthen the glass, similar to tempered glass. No “layers” of anything. Just dipping the glass in a hot chemical bath.
But I’m certainly no expert. I just haven’t seen anything about it being single sided or a “layer” of anything. Rather a treatment that changes the physical properties of the glass.
Look up LiteBrite’s video on it.

You’ll see what I’m talking about. The guy in the video explains it really well.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, it is chemically strengthened to resist scratching. It's cell phone glass.

By federal law all windshields have to be safety sheet. that means two layers of glass bonded together with an adhesive. No different that non-gorilla glass windshields.

Cell phones still break. No different for gorilla glass windshields. they will also continue to break.