Gorilla glass my a$$! Cracked after just 2 months

Dr_rumor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 4xe
I’ve had my 4xE for 2 months and a little rock his my windshield yesterday morning around 0615 and I got a nice sized crack from it.
My OEM Jeep glass in my JKU lasted over 9 months before I traded it in. I hope the warranty covers it, if not I bought their glass insurance.

82F6603A-447F-4E80-8930-C30DD2DF3043.jpeg
Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I’ve had my 4xE for 2 months and a little rock his my windshield yesterday morning around 0615 and I got a nice sized crack from it.
My OEM Jeep glass in my JKU lasted over 9 months before I traded it in. I hope the warranty covers it, if not I bought their glass insurance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla glass my a$$!  Cracked after just 2 months 82F6603A-447F-4E80-8930-C30DD2DF3043
I believe you get 1 free replacement.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Sooooo .....are you saying that your windshield is the Gorilla glass that got hit and still cracked?

Sponsored

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
Bummer! Sorry that happened especially so soon.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Gorilla Glass isn’t some magic fix that makes glass bullet proof. It’s just a type of tempered glass. If a rock catches it at the right speed, and especially at the right angle, it is still going break.
It’s unfortunate timing, but I don’t think it proves anything about GG except that expectations might have been a little too high.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've broken at least three phone screens with that garbage, wouldn't pay extra for a windshield made out of it. The design of the windshield is the problem, big flat piece of "thin" glass. Newer vehicles have "thinner" glass than vehicles from the 60's and 70's, my 2011 Challenger went through three.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
The Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield doesn't replace the original glass itself. The Gorilla portion is just an additional layer added to the inside of the windshield. The outside portion of the windshield is still standard glass. It's still going to break, but its probability of not breaking is much higher, especially for anything hitting the center of the windshield. Anything close to the edges, the Gorilla Glass won't do much. There's not enough glass surrounding the impact point to absorb the impact. I think it's worth the money still.

Edit: Also, time and mileage has nothing to do with this. No reason to put one vehicle lasted longer than the other for a broken windshield. Too many variables for that information to be relevant.

Last edited:

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
The Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield doesn't replace the original glass itself. The Gorilla portion is just an additional layer added to the inside of the windshield. The outside portion of the windshield is still standard glass.
From what I've read, the GG is completely new replacement (not an additional layer). They say the glass is thinner and lighter than stock. I'm still waiting on mine, so can't say for sure.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
From what I've read, the GG is completely new replacement (not an additional layer). They say the glass is thinner and lighter than stock. I'm still waiting on mine, so can't say for sure.
Yes... it is 100% different.

I didn't mean they just add a layer onto the original windshield part number.

However, the Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield is just an absorbing layer laminated to the inside of the windshield.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Yes... it is 100% different.

I didn't mean they just add a layer onto the original windshield part number.

However, the Gorilla Glass portion of the windshield is just an absorbing layer laminated to the inside of the windshield.
Sorry, misunderstood your post.

Thanks for clarifying.