Sponsored

Gorilla Glass lol omg

hardtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Think if the Gorilla Glass laminate was on both the inside and outside, instead of just on the interior, it'd probably hold up in a windshield application a lot better (and would probably warrant the now $500 option). Being on the inside only is kinda dumb, and really doesn't do anything for protection other than stopping a projectile from breaking through into the cabin completely.
Do you mean it is regular windshield glass with a lining that is not exposed to the outside?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yes, it's been posted again and again her and on many threads. The inner layer is Gorilla. The outer layer, the side that takes the hits, is regular old glass like the standard windshield.

Windshields are made with 3 layers. An outer layer of glass, a middle layer of flexible plastic and and inner layer of glass. The middle layer of flexible plastic is what keeps the glass shards together in the event of a significant hit, rather than having the glass break into shards and hit you in the face. It also keeps occupants from being thrown through the windshield in a crash.

Reactions: AFD

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
GG gets you a free replacement so go get a new one
I had it on my 4xe and my new 392 coming. I had a big ol rock hit the windshield and land on the hood and the windshield stay perfect. Would the standard glass have broken? idk. Am I glad it didn't break and I didn't have to go get the windshield replaced? Yes. Do I like the gorilla staring at me from the bottom left of the windshield while driving? Yes.

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Wow looks like the best thing since Milestar Patagonias šŸ˜‚

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
I asked about GG before I ordered. At 3,300 miles, here is my update:
1653925442289.jpeg
I would be very interested in learning if you get replaced under warranty. I was told no for my crack by Jeep and Mopar and 2 dealers. Reason - coverage does not extend to OEM orders - just replacement upgrades. Good luck!

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I've heard its taking months to replace it.
My dealer arranged a replacement and it looks less than two weeks (mid March '22). Due to scratches on the interior side found will taking delivery.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
soooo then,
how about simple auto insurance covering the windshield ?
Cant imagine a whole lot of JL owners without car insurance
Anyone on this ? šŸ˜
fyi I did want the GG when I ordered last summer but it wasn't available on my model and as time moves forward it seems a bullet I may have dodged accidently šŸ™„

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I've had the RacingOptics peal away on my Rig for a year ...unfortunately the tear away had been compromised. So I emailed the company and they are sending me out a new one for 0....The contact person there was so great he actually called me the day after ...Yup called me! (because I had ordered a new one) we talked about Jeeps and he asked if I had been at Jeepbeach (they had a booth there) and I told him I had notI Long story short he cancelled my order and said he was going to reimburse my card and was sending me out another one. I told him I loved the product and that it truly did help this big box that is a rock magnet ..but I wasn't expecting after a year of windshield protection... for them to replace it....He said I will have none of it! We are grateful that you like the product and it should work as intended.
That there....Great Customer Service!!!!!!
I will be a customer for life. He told me they gave away nearly $40,000.00 at Jeep beach and I can only say my experience with their product was great. This is of course after replacing 3 windshields. the third one got the laminate. My biggest concern was clarity and whether the windshield wipers would still function right.
Unfounded is all I can say.. because it actually was like there was nothing there. My Rubicon is my daily and I travel 57 miles a day to work so It does get bombarded by debris (rocks included) . I stray from trucks and never tailgate but those errant rocks come out of nowhere even when you are actively trying to avoid vehicles you assume may upend one at your rig. Anyway I'm not in any way affiliated with them...in fact had been introduced to their site by someone on this forum. In the end it def was a no brainer to use this product for a vehicle that has very little rake to it's windshield! Match made in heaven!! Can't sing their praises enough. Great Product and incredible customer service.

kansasboy91

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I have a stress crack that is about half the length of the windshield, took it to the dealer today weā€™ll see if mopar will replace. There was no evident impact location on mineā€¦

OP
OP
AZJeepGuy

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I've had the RacingOptics ...
Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping to get one replacement from the dealer, and I have glass coverage on my insurance for once a year. It does seem wise to mitigate the impact though. Looks like the price went up to $229 though. I thought it was $179 at the end of last year.

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
positive story: within a week of getting my jeep. a good size pebble hit my windshield, something i felt would leave somethig behind. it didn't. the variable with these things are would it have left a crack if i didn't get the GG? whatever the case, so far so good.

BobWBristolRI

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC, 2017 JGC, 2020 Wr JL
Occupation
Hard. Itā€™s Work, isnā€™t it?
Vehicle Showcase
[ UPDATE - Matt Wan at ProCyon Natick MA did a clean, professional install of Racing Optics Tear-Offs for JLU - Two months later in the heat of summer.... all is well. Multiple flinches later (and not a tailgater - just 3rd windshield - two of GG, my wallet flinches when a pebble strikes windshield) you can barely tell it's even there - YAY Racing Optics! Product and install more that measures up to the marketed claims. ] Adding RO laminate to 2nd GG windshield next week. 1st GG windshield cracked side to side first cold winter night - took 2 months & Chrysler denied warranty claim (said chip from 2 months of vibration at crack junction was debris hit - lying scum). Good reports on RO tearoffs have convinced me. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Last edited: