Gorilla Glass lol omg

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Then I would propose the equally valid corollary "that not all people whose gorilla glass has cracked post about it." My GG shows more pitting after 8,000 miles than what I have experienced on other vehicles with standard glass. Maybe the environmental conditions have been slightly different, but it's another indication that GG is not "tougher" than standard glass. I'm one of those that regrets purchasing Gorilla Glass.
Sponsored

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
We had someone take delivery of their new Jeep with Gorilla glass, took a rock in it on the way home and it cracked. I was excited about getting it for mine, now i'm just going to get whatever generic glass the guy has to put in.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
El cheapo glass has lasted better than factory for me. I now have several pit marks, but no cracks. And pit marks are the price of owning a Jeep driven across Texas
Lol, I read that as "El Chapo" glass and thought, well that probably really IS bulletproof, and would last, lol.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Maybe a lot of these breaking is install error from the factory? I have it on my Jeep and this is by far more durable than the glass I had on my JKU. Coming up on 9k miles in ~4 months with no cracks. Couple minor chips I easily repaired with a $10 rain-X kit you can get off Amazon or at Walmart.

In my JKU, I think I had gone through 3 windshields in the same time frame, and then I stopped replacing them unless they obstructed my vision. Perhaps that’s the difference in windshield angle, though.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
First, this chip isn't the "replace" type as that fancy warranty says they will "repair" it... you know, the $10 suction cup and glue kit ?.... that's the ticket... and with that repair it will cover your "one covered repair" for $195-$495... "One and Done" - that's the warranty, if you can get even that honored
Second, still unsure about if the GG is any better although since I started driving in '83 I've only replaced one windshield and that was on a '78 Trans-Am which I stupidly broke with a wrench... unclear how all these windshields are breaking for everyone else anyways... fyi, my first "Jeep" was in '87 till now in case someone says they break in Jeeps only
Are you shooting at them ?
Are you "drafting" dump trucks ?
Are you "testing" them at the bar with a hammer to show how tough the Gorilla is ?
Are you parking them on a driving range ?
Seems a lot of broken windshields on this forum regardless of type and that in itself is very puzzling. Regular windshield are automotive safety glass which would have had exactly the same damage as shown in that first pic, seen that one many times long before GG
Just sayin some of you guys may want to back way off a bit from that construction truck or stay away from drive-bys and all these windshelds will last much longer 😢

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Only the inner layer is Gorilla. The outer layer is the same glass on every other windshield.

My standard windshield is 2 years and a week old with 16k miles, still good.

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
I bought it for $195.... We'll see how it goes (only 500 miles on my Jeep now). For the insurance alone, it would be worth it if it paid out once, and the thought of it being more durable is appealing. Now for $395, I probably wouldn't have selected the option.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get these types of posts. GG isn't advertised as indestructible. It is supposedly stronger than standard meaning it's less likely to break and might have shrugged off some rocks earlier for you that would have split standard glass.
These posts are the best.

Person after person claiming certainty that either their gorilla glass windshield withstood what a standard windshield couldn't or that their standard windshield is as good as (or better than a) gorilla glass windshield.

Fooled by randomness.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Last trip, while on the interstate to EJS Moab, I got a chip in lower right corner of OEM glass. At 20K so I guess it was due to happen. Do the DIY chip repair kits worK?
Sponsored