Sponsored

Gorilla Glass is a joke. Don’t waste your money.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
The moral of this story is, Don't pay extra for bullshit.
You have no idea if it is bullshit, and neither do I. All we have is anecdotal evidence on both sides which means absolutely nothing. The only way someone could be somewhat assured if Gorilla Glass is a good purchase or not is if the test results data was released. Since that most likely will not happen, people will never know.

In the OP's case, he is getting screwed because of insurance, if I remember correctly. In my case, insurance will replace the OEM Gorilla Glass.

My whole point wasn't to defend Gorilla Glass; it is more to point out people's inherent reaction to place blame without knowing all the facts. Unfortunately, this goes true for most things in life.
Sponsored

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
My Gorilla glass has 16k miles on it after one year and it shows pitting equivalent to my 100k mile commuter sedan w/o Gorilla glass. Yes, the Jeep has a vertical windshield, but it sits twice the height above the ground and the commuter does not have extra-expensive glass. So yes, I agree with the nay-sayers that Gorilla glass sucks and is not worth it. I don't need it to break nor do I need to conduct scientific tests before I can make that statement.
My Gorilla Glass has over 20,000 miles on it, and it is perfect after being hit numerous times. Since you are showing pitting after only 16,000 miles, I would agree that your particular windshield sucks and is not worth it. You are correct; you can make any statement you want, scientific test or not.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I am at 20,000 miles total. Replaced the factory glass at 8,000 after it had several big cracks in it, one directly in my line of sight. I have 12,000 miles on the Jeep with the gorilla glass and it has taken some significant hits that I believe would have cause more than a tiny chip on the OEM glass. However, it is pitted. Hard to tell if it is pitted more than the OEM, but does seem to be more pitted that it should. In Colorado USAA does not have a glass coverage policy so I have to pay the $500 deductible to get the windshield replaced. When I went to replace the factory windshield, I could get the OEM for $300 and the Gorilla for $800 from one of my shops. I splurged for the Gorilla, but would not do it again know it is almost triple the cost of a regular windshield and it is a bitch to get them to warranty their product. The marginal improvement is not worth the extra cost. At the end of the day, a big rock is going to break either window.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i think part of the problem is unrealistic expectations based on a lack of understanding of what exactly it is we're talking about, which has been exacerbated by major Marketeering BS. bad feelings have been further compounded by insurance companies that are, well, what insurance agencies have always been.

"Gorilla Glass" windshields are regular old soda ash glass on the outside, just like what your 'standard' windshield is, only thicker; the "gorilla" part of the glass is the inner layer.

the outside glass can be expected to scratch and pit just like any other windshield, because it's the same material as any standard windshield. (there is an esoteric argument that that outer layer may be slightly less likely to crack due to its thickness, but i'm not going to touch that discussion for a variety of reasons.)

the wonder of a Gorilla Glass windshield should only be expected to be that that stronger inner layer is less likely to be pierced in the event of a major impact, making it less likely that that projectile winds up in your face (or somewhere you value even more).

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yeah. FCA is the master of making all sorts of promises when it comes to “warranties,” but then reneging on them when the time comes to pay up.
And it isn't just FCA... all large OEM's have an army of attorney's that craft not only the warranty but help with the marketing message as well.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
People have been disappointed with this gorilla glass since its first introduction. At first I was very excited and thought maybe some of the first reviews were harsh. But now it’s been some time and it’s consistent disappointment with this gorilla glass.
YUP...i've had to get my windshield repaired 3 times and replaced once (with the original glass) just bc of the way it is designed. I figured I'd get a lot of dings living in my city, but the glass is almost perpendicular so it will catch a lot more rocks than most other vehicles.

I couldn't even get my auto insurance to take care of it bc my deductible is $500 and the oem glass was over that amount by like $52.. so instead I just purchased the non-oem for a little less than $400. I was thinking about gettin the gorilla glass after that but I spoke to a TankCustoms tech/owner and he told me not to waste my money on it.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...My Jeep has had this crack since March, I’m not replacing it because it’ll just get hit again.
As long as the Jeep will pass state inspection with the crack in your windshield, then I definitely wouldn't replace it unless you feel it becomes unsafe.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
We just need the Project Farm guy to buy a regular windshield and a Gorilla Glass windshield and set up a simulated and controlled rock impact environment. All of the anecdotes are worthless.

CharlieVictor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, 4XE, Tacoma
For what it's worth, Gorilla Glass is not currently available on the 2023 configurator. The online build tool will still allow you to configure a 2022 model, and for that Gorilla Glass is still offered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gburchett

gburchett

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JLR, Sting-Gray, ‘15 Ford Fusion, ‘16 F450
You have no idea if it is bullshit, and neither do I. All we have is anecdotal evidence on both sides which means absolutely nothing. The only way someone could be somewhat assured if Gorilla Glass is a good purchase or not is if the test results data was released. Since that most likely will not happen, people will never know.

In the OP's case, he is getting screwed because of insurance, if I remember correctly. In my case, insurance will replace the OEM Gorilla Glass.

My whole point wasn't to defend Gorilla Glass; it is more to point out people's inherent reaction to place blame without knowing all the facts. Unfortunately, this goes true for most things in life.
No. My insurance isn’t screwing me, they are going to pay for the windshield, it was the fact that I feel the warranty on the windshield should have covered the replacement.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I wonder how many times GG has been hit hard enough to break a standard windshield but not hard enough to chip, crack or break the GG. I wonder how many times GG has actually paid for itself. I have GG and I have heard stuff hit it. So far no damage. Is that because it is GG or because the strikes were so lite that a standard windshield would be intact as well?

Without knowing the force that a standard windshield can withstand vs GG (Im sure this information exists somewhere) it is difficult to tell if GG is “worth it.”

When I ordered it was only $95 more so why not? At $595, (or whatever the current cost is) Im not sure.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I will say I'm not one of those who bemoan the gorilla glass.

On our 2020 JLUR we had several hits and cracks, nothing to write home about. Not even bad enough to replace, but they did crack.

Now on the 2021 JLURe with the gorilla glass, we've noticed what looked like bugs, but they wouldn't come off. Razor blade showed they were hits and pocked. No cracking though, so I attribute that to the GG.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I believe the majority of cracked windshields (not all) could be prevented with better driving habits. Maintain a proper distance from the vehicle in front of you. Do a self test, go for a drive and count the number of drivers that are at a proper distance. You only need one hand. The rule is one car length for each 10 mph. That said, I myself had two windshields replaced in less than two months on my mb, and one on the tdi in 5 years. The stone seem to come out of no where. Blowing in the wind.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
As long as the Jeep will pass state inspection with the crack in your windshield, then I definitely wouldn't replace it unless you feel it becomes unsafe.
This... Unless you get a ticket for it, or it's tearing up your windshield wipers, don't sweat it. But if you feel the crack on the inside of the glass, then it's broken through both layers of glass laminations, and that's a problem.

You need to post more often lol!!!!!
That kind of attitude will not get you any love on this forum. In any given thread, I'm just one pithy, common-sense observation away from getting banned...

I believe the majority of cracked windshields (not all) could be prevented with better driving habits....
Thread winner...

But having lived in major metro areas for much of my life, I can tell you the car-length rule simply does not work. As soon as you implement that following distance, 4 assholes will jump in there. For urban windshield longevity, the most you can reasonably do to prevent damage is to not be that asshole.
Sponsored

Last edited: