Sponsored

Gorilla Glass for JLs: it's available now. has anyone tried it on a JL yet? my next windshield will be my 7th...

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Note that Gorilla Glass is less prone to shattering but is softer, so it will be more prone to scratch.
Just need a gigantic iPhone screen protector or several of them together.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
If a bird craps on your head when when the top is off, is that Jeep’s fault? Asking for a friend. :bandit:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If a bird craps on your head when when the top is off, is that Jeep’s fault? Asking for a friend. :bandit:
Absolutely not! That’s FCA’s fault... HAHA

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ve put exoshield protective film on mine, we’ll see how it holds up.
I'm interested in this too. I just replaced #1 yesterday (right at 11 months old). I'm also concerned about sandblasting, we routinely have 30+mph winds around here.

OP
OP
thumperer

thumperer

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
meltmedia.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Founder/BizDev
If the top peeled off after a rock glanced off of it, then the bird dooked on me, it's Jeep's fault :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
thumperer

thumperer

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
meltmedia.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Founder/BizDev
I'm not following too close. I'm driving completely normally, with the flow of traffic, leaving as much space in front of me without being an a**hole. But PHX is a major metro. I rarely have the road to myself. Freeways here run busy and fast.

But I have taken that troublespot out of my commute, until I get the window thing figured out, whether that's Gorilla or an exoskin or whatever. Tons of people at work have the same problem on the freeways here, Jeeps, trucks or otherwise. We're all playing with alternative routes.

I agree.

24 months and > 36,000 miles on mine (mostly freeway). Original windshield, no cracks.

Try not following so close, especially in construction zones where there may be rocks on the road?

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
the crack doesn't bother so much but the sand blasting does. My window is so pitted after 1 year it is hard to see through in direct sun. I was at a stand still on I25 here in Colorado when a storm blew (literally) through and kicked up so much debris it caused 2 nasty chips/cracks. only ones I've gotten so far. I am still on my 1st windshield but a replacement is on the books because of the pitting and the loss of visibility in the sun.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Just installed my second windshield in a year of ownership. I'm looking at the race optics film as a potential to help with the pitting and cracks.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm interested in this too. I just replaced #1 yesterday (right at 11 months old). I'm also concerned about sandblasting, we routinely have 30+mph winds around here.
Very curious to hear how this works out. How are the optics? Is it annoying at all?
It’s optically clear - you cannot tell it is there. It’s only covered a few hundred KM on the JL and I haven’t heard a rock hit yet (fingers crossed it stays that way) but we have it on my wife’s KL Trailhawk and it deflected a substantial hit with no issues.

Sponsored

SteveSh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
I agree.

24 months and > 36,000 miles on mine (mostly freeway). Original windshield, no cracks.

Try not following so close, especially in construction zones where there may be rocks on the road?
lucky for you. I have had to replace 2 windshields in 32,000 miles. Ironically, lest than 2 months apart. First time, a car went onto the shoulder to pass a slower car instead of staying in the lane and threw a small (I never even saw it until a few seconds when the crack started migrating). The second was driving in a single lane, in the rain, when a truck going the opposite way on the road threw something and cracked my windshield.