Sponsored

Gorilla Glass Coming to JL Wrangler via Mopar

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
While at Easter Jeep there was a Gorilla Glass both in the Jeep/Mopar tent. He says they have developed a rear lift gate for the JK out of the Corning Gorilla Glass. A version for the JL is coming and they have plans for front windshields as well. Also mentioned was that Gorilla Glass is being vetted as an upgrade add-on when ordering your jeep.

Here's already info on the Mopar Gorilla Glass Windshield: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/parts/gorilla-glass.html
Sponsored

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
What does it do?

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I think Gorilla Glass is what McLaren uses on the 720S if you order them with the glazed roof panels. FWIW, my iPhone X scratches easier than any iPhone I have ever owned.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
What does it do?
FUSION PROCESS
Corning’s proprietary fusion manufacturing process is at the core of our leadership in glass technology and the cover glass industry. This extraordinarily precise, highly automated draw process produces a thin sheet cover glass with pristine surface quality, outstanding optical clarity and inherent dimensional stability – qualities essential for cover glass for consumer applications.

The process begins when raw materials are blended into a glass composition, which is melted and conditioned. The molten glass is fed into a trough called an “isopipe,” overfilling until the glass flows evenly over both sides. It then rejoins, or fuses, at the bottom, where it is drawn down to form a continuous sheet of flat glass that is so thin it is measured in microns. The glass is untouched by human hands or anything else that will introduce flaws into the surface.

This same fusion process is at the heart of Corning’s industry-leading LCD glass. The composition of Corning¼ Gorilla¼ Glass enables a deep layer of chemical strengthening through an ion-exchange process where individual glass parts are cut from the “mother sheet” and undergo an ion-exchange process.

ION-EXCHANGE PROCESS
Ion exchange is a chemical strengthening process where large ions are “stuffed” into the glass surface, creating a state of compression. Gorilla Glass is specially designed to maximize this behavior. The glass is placed in a hot bath of molten salt at a temperature of approximately 400 degrees C. Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These large ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass’ composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates the surface that is more resistant to damage.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's what a lot of cell phone screens and backs are made of. I have no idea what happens when you make it the size and thickness of a windshield - or maybe it will just be the outer layer.
It typically is just an outer compressed layer. Also, you are absolutely correct. It did start as an upgraded option for smartphones. IIRC, Apple had an exclusive contract which has since expired so all phone/tablet manufactures may now utilize it.

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150 / 2018 Sahara JLU. Formerly 2013 JK and 2003 Liberty Renegade
It typically is just an outer compressed layer. Also, you are absolutely correct. It did start as an upgraded option for smartphones. IIRC, Apple had an exclusive contract which has since expired so all phone/tablet manufactures may now utilize it.
Samsung has been using Gorilla Glass on their Galaxy Series since its inception.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I just drive with the front windshield down so it never gets cracked.

Jokes aside I’d like to know how/if it passes the safety test for use in vehicle windows. I’ve seen what it looks like when the phone screens break. Just imagine that same pattern on your windshield or other windows if a rock hits it.

Sponsored

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
While at Easter Jeep there was a Gorilla Glass both in the Jeep/Mopar tent. He says they have developed a rear lift gate for the JK out of the Corning Gorilla Glass. A version for the JL is coming and they have plans for front windshields as well. Also mentioned was that Gorilla Glass is being vetted as an upgrade add-on when ordering your jeep.
April fools !

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they’d just make a Jeep Window Sized Screen Protector to absorb and deflect all of the rocks cracking everyone’s windows.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes, along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.”

Wow! That’s probably the worst warranty I have ever seen. Initial damage must be between 1-3 inches. Does not cover subsequent cracking which happens every time a windshield chips. Terrible! I assume insurance companies will NOT be covering this option!

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Some of research and marketing I saw really focuses on the ability of automobile manufacturers to increase fuel efficiency by reducing the windshield thickness and thus the weight of the vehicle.
Ford has some video showing how Gorilla Glass can take more hail abuse which is impressive.
I would assume the thicker the gorilla glass the stronger the rock and hail resistance.
This stuff is so new, most insurance agencies do not have a discount for it.
I would hope glass manufacturers start listing some sort of resistance to rocks rating as well as a weight.
The question is are you receiving fuel benefit or an insurance benefit?
Sponsored