Sponsored

Gorilla Glass as good as we hope?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
OEM glass is pathetic. Worked down in the RGV last year and ended up with 2 replacement causing cracks within 7 days of each other. One was completely self inflicted. Damn BFG ATs kicked a rock forward on a ramp and I had nowhere to go as I watched the pebble smack the glass. After seeing how poorly the stock glass was for everyone else, I went aftermarket. I've had some pretty good rock strikes since then, but not a crack or pit.
Which aftermarket did you go with?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheap 400 dollar glass.
A forum member named Litebrite (Kevin and Britney)tried a aftermarket brand. They said it was a lot more durable than the Mopar windshield. Unfortunately not many places have the brand they used. Report back on durability.

Is the aftermarket glass any noiser than the OEM Mopar?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Look, I'm not expecting the results to survive a peer review here. But the forum is replete with people complaining of windshields cracking often so I want to get some basis of comparison. If someone says I've gone through 4 regular windshields in 20K miles but after switching to Gorilla Glass, no cracks in 10K miles driving in the same conditions, that is at least something.
Look. I still have my original windshield after of 2 years and 20k miles with the jeep.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looking into it further, I think you're right about it being very new. I thought it was available for longer (perhaps because I had been hearing about it forever).
It's been out for a long time on JK's, so a JK forum might be a good place to ask. But I've found some of those forums to barely have a pulse these days. I know because I go to them freuquently for questons regaring my JKUR. Still, let it marinate a few days and you may get a couple responses. A certain forum that may not be pemissible to mention here seems to be most responsive. It is run by a guy named Eddie who considers Jeeping to be a way of life. ;)

My JL is on its 3rd windshield. It seems to be the charmed one as it has lasted 2+ years and has taken a few hits with little chips. I actually think it is defective. If not, it would have cracked.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I recently had my windshield replaced as well - same deal rock hit on commute and crack formed while jeep was parked. Didn't get gorilla glass - they wanted a ton of money to order it, so just went with mopar. If you can get it for 95 bucks...man go for that. They were saying like 800-900 for just the glass if I ordered it from a dealer. My deductable is 100 so I can just throw windshields at it for now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video on Gorilla Glass.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
A forum member named Litebrite (Kevin and Britney)tried a aftermarket brand. They said it was a lot more durable than the Mopar windshield. Unfortunately not many places have the brand they used. Report back on durability.

Is the aftermarket glass any noiser than the OEM Mopar?
No noisier than the factory glass. I've watched the Litebrite video where Kevin and Brittany talked about their glass. And I had good results with aftermarket glass with my JK as well. But my factory glass on the JK was better than the JL.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No noisier than the factory glass. I've watched the Litebrite video where Kevin and Brittany talked about their glass. And I had good results with aftermarket glass with my JK as well. But my factory glass on the JK was better than the JL.
Same here. My JK windshield was a LOT better than my 3 OEM Mopar windshields in less than a year.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the tag in the corner.

20210607_180628.jpg
Pretty sure that's the same company that makes the OEM glass? It's a Chinese company that makes like 60%-70% of all automotive glass.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
In Florida we pretty much get a new windshield, even with some minor pitting if you have insurance. It can't be counted against you as a claim or go against your deductible. I think we keep Safelight in business.

It's about the only thing I can think of in Florida that is pro-consumer.

Sometimes they have Safelight reps at dealerships, replacing/fixing windshields for nearly every car coming in for service.

Just don't get the Safelight brand generic glass, no matter how they try to scare you out of not getting it.

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I have no input on Gorilla Glass but for $95 would definitely be a no brainer. With regards to JL OEM glass.......it sucks. Less than 3 weeks old and no more than 600 miles on the clock of my 2021 I caught a pebble out of nowhere. Wasn't behind or beside anyone for a good distance on an Oklahoma interstate. A perfect 5 pronged star before I even bought my tags. Got it repaired and windshield is showing some pitting and not a month old. I'll go aftermarket on my replacement without question. Glass repair guy said new Wranglers keep him in business. He even suggested a bird pooping a pebble starred it when I told the story.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Florida we pretty much get a new windshield, even with some minor pitting if you have insurance. It can't be counted against you as a claim or go against your deductible. I think we keep Safelight in business.

It's about the only thing I can think of in Florida that is pro-consumer.

Sometimes they have Safelight reps at dealerships, replacing/fixing windshields for nearly every car coming in for service.

Just don't get the Safelight brand generic glass, no matter how they try to scare you out of not getting it.
You are lucky you get windshield coverage. FL is bad for automobile consumer laws. FL has one of the highest DOC fees in the nation. As high as $800-$900. I believe FL is also a state where you are not allowed to buy a discounted extended warranty.
Sponsored