Gorilla Glass as good as we hope?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Personally I drive the distance away that driver’s education told me. I also avoid driving behind big trucks with more than four wheels. Never had problems. Just my two cents.
Me too. Which is why I was utterly pissed when I went to wash my jeep one Sunday at the self-wash place, did so, drove home, parked in my highrise parking garage, went out 20 minutes later and found a stress crack 4“ long on the bottoms of the windshield. NOTHING hit this glass. Zero. Nada. Zip. The ONLY thing that I can think of is that the cold water from the self wash hose on the glass then into the direct HOT sun caused a stress crack. The OEM windshield is craptastic.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Look, I'm not expecting the results to survive a peer review here. But the forum is replete with people complaining of windshields cracking often so I want to get some basis of comparison. If someone says I've gone through 4 regular windshields in 20K miles but after switching to Gorilla Glass, no cracks in 10K miles driving in the same conditions, that is at least something.
I have had 3 JLURs without gorilla glass, and replaced many, many windows, and had more chips than I can count repaired. Here in AZ I will know pretty quickly if it is better or not. If I can drive up 101 and I17 and back home without a chip it will be worth it to me.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. Which is why I was utterly pissed when I went to wash my jeep one Sunday at the self-wash place, did so, drove home, parked in my highrise parking garage, went out 20 minutes later and found a stress crack 4“ long on the bottoms of the windshield. NOTHING hit this glass. Zero. Nada. Zip. The ONLY thing that I can think of is that the cold water from the self wash hose on the glass then into the direct HOT sun caused a stress crack. The OEM windshield is craptastic.
I can 100% confirm that cold water on a chipped JL windw will crack. I did it twice. first time with the hose in driveway, second time with the windshield wiper fluid (yes really). what the wiper fluid it was like a slow motion accident, i knew I messed up after I hit the lever to clean the window. then all I could do is sit and watch the crack grow.

with that said, im in AZ and the Windows are probably just a few degrees shy of lava in the summer heat, so water is not ideal. my glass guy did say the JL seems to have a thinner window and seems to craci easier than the JK. for $95, its worth a Gamble for me.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I can 100% confirm that cold water on a chipped JL windw will crack. I did it twice. first time with the hose in driveway, second time with the windshield wiper fluid (yes really). what the wiper fluid it was like a slow motion accident, i knew I messed up after I hit the lever to clean the window. then all I could do is sit and watch the crack grow.

with that said, im in AZ and the Windows are probably just a few degrees shy of lava in the summer heat, so water is not ideal. my glass guy did say the JL seems to have a thinner window and seems to craci easier than the JK. for $95, its worth a Gamble for me.
Agreed……Except….. there was NO chip on my windshield. The crack came from the very bottom of the glass up the windshield ….. no Ding, nick. Or chip. . i firmly believe that the cold water followed by the direct sun (whIke I detailed the Jeep) cased a “stress crack”. Craptastic.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I'm on my 3rd ...30,000 on the odometer! second one was same as DKretden.....no rock, no chip. Got in to go to work and as I was pulling out... saw a small crack under the wiper blade that started at the cowl. Proceeded to get worse as the week went by. I read that someone here posted the tear away laminate from Racing optics. So I looked it up and ordered it for my not yet broken or chipped windshield. Cost me 176...if it works like they say it does I'll be happy. FCA common...I drive well beyond any vehicles knowing this to be the case but damn!

Sponsored

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
I ordered my JLUR on 05/25, and gorilla glass wasn’t an option that I saw. I went through the build online feature of Jeep’s website and I still don’t see it as an option. I printed out my build sheet from the internet and gave it to my dealer. Maybe it’s something on the dealer’s sheet but not on the website?

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I ordered my JLUR on 05/25, and gorilla glass wasn’t an option that I saw. I went through the build online feature of Jeep’s website and I still don’t see it as an option. I printed out my build sheet from the internet and gave it to my dealer. Maybe it’s something on the dealer’s sheet but not on the website?
You have to tell them separately and they can add it. When the build sheet comes from the dealer it will have it.

The order code is GMA.

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
You have to tell them separately and they can add it. When the build sheet comes from the dealer it will have it.

The order code is GMA.
Reading the comments, I’m pretty indifferent. I doubt they added it, and I’m ok with that. Certainly not going to try to change the order.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Reading the comments, I’m pretty indifferent. I doubt they added it, and I’m ok with that. Certainly not going to try to change the order.
Yeah, I got it since I saw it on here and just asked to add it on my build since I hadn't finalized anything yet. Figured for $95. why not....

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
a coworker had GG installed & while he still ended up with rock chips, they were more bullseyes & didn't tend to "run" as most chips/hits do..with that being said, I'm running the racing optics 3 layer laminated tear-off and couldn't be happier.
I took a rock & destroyed my windshield after having it for 2 months: windshield deductible is $250. day after having windshield replaced, I installed the RO laminate & 5 months later, windshield is still good as new.
the customer service is top notch & I won't hesitate to install this every time (eventually, all 3 will become damaged over a period of a year or 2, but for $179 and awesome customer service, I would NOT hesitate

nother thought, and I'm not here to start crap (most of the time), but my daughter, who bought her very first jeep about3 months before me, had the following thought while shopping for bumpers:
it would be interesting to see the correllation between "stubby" bumpers & rock hits on a windshield: seems with the stubby, if a rock flys forward out of your tire(s), you're more apt to have it bounce back & tag your windshield. no real world proof of this in my mind, but sometimes my kid amazes me with her thoughts..and I"m running a full width bumper, so I "feel" like I'm a bit more protected

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Well shit! This happened yesterday.... 3 months in...

F129CCF7-AB9F-4222-B086-844F8F2F8E92.jpeg
Dude...sorry to jinx you.

Honestly their should be some kind of safety investigation on the JL windshields. They break if you look at them funny. Plus they pit like crazy. A new windshield looks like a 10 year old windshield after a few months. They suck big time.

Look into a OEM Gorilla Glass replacement. Definitely go for the $95 Gorilla Glass option with your new JL.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Well shit! This happened yesterday.... 3 months in...

F129CCF7-AB9F-4222-B086-844F8F2F8E92.jpeg
"Personally I drive the distance away that driver’s education told me. I also avoid driving behind big trucks with more than four wheels. Never had problems. Just my two cents."

What happened buddy...?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
OEM glass is pathetic. Worked down in the RGV last year and ended up with 2 replacement causing cracks within 7 days of each other. One was completely self inflicted. Damn BFG ATs kicked a rock forward on a ramp and I had nowhere to go as I watched the pebble smack the glass. After seeing how poorly the stock glass was for everyone else, I went aftermarket. I've had some pretty good rock strikes since then, but not a crack or pit.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
"Personally I drive the distance away that driver’s education told me. I also avoid driving behind big trucks with more than four wheels. Never had problems. Just my two cents."

What happened buddy...?
Well in earlier post I heard a pebble hit but upon further investigation there is no chip. Crack starts at the top of the windshield?

OP
OP

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Well in earlier post I heard a pebble hit but upon further investigation there is no chip. Crack starts at the top of the windshield?
I would look closely. There is likely an impact point. It may be very small - doesn't take much to crack windshield when impact is on edge of glass.
Sponsored