Sponsored

Gorilla 5 pack wheel locks WON'T work w/ aftermarket wheels

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Gorilla Auto 96641BDX5 5-Pack
Unfortunately they are too wide for most aftermarket wheels that have a more narrow lug nut socket. I will be grinding mine down since the socket still fits inside the lug hole but be warned :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just measured them and they are the same as the OEM chrome lugnuts at their widest point which is 30mm. The OD of the Gorilla socket is 27mm so there's enough room for the socket to install the lugnuts on my aftermarket wheels once I grind them down to the same OD as the socket. Shouldn't be too much of a chore but I'll post my finished results.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was easy to grind them down to fit inside the narrower lug openings. I marked the socket so I could easily insert the locks to grind them down rather than trying to find just the right turn of the lock/socket. I wrapped the locks with one wrap of blue painters tape with the overlap of the tape where I marked the socket so it was easy to get them aligned and so they would fit snug in the socket..
socket.jpg

Be sure to use a fresh grind wheel so it will be a quick project :) Ground about a 1/4" strip to get that diameter proper. I would strongly recommend welding gloves for this too as these get piping hot (or have a cup of water nearby to cool them down often). Add a quick shot of flat black to keep the rust at bay.
IMG_0299.JPG

Locks have about 1 3/8" threaded so it's deep enough for the longer JL lugs, just a bit deeper than the factory lug nuts. As you can see the locks & factory lugs are the same diameter, and after grinding, the conical seat is still very substantial, much more than my cheap spline lug nuts on the far right.
IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Was easy to grind them down to fit inside the narrower lug openings. I marked the socket so I could easily insert the locks to grind them down rather than trying to find just the right turn of the lock/socket. I wrapped the locks with one wrap of blue painters tape with the overlap of the tape where I marked the socket so it was easy to get them aligned and so they would fit snug in the socket..
socket.jpg

Be sure to use a fresh grind wheel so it will be a quick project :) Ground about a 1/4" strip to get that diameter proper. I would strongly recommend welding gloves for this too as these get piping hot (or have a cup of water nearby to cool them down often). Add a quick shot of flat black to keep the rust at bay.
IMG_0299.JPG

Locks have about 1 3/8" threaded so it's deep enough for the longer JL lugs, just a bit deeper than the factory lug nuts. As you can see the locks & factory lugs are the same diameter, and after grinding, the conical seat is still very substantial, much more than my cheap spline lug nuts on the far right.
IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
Do these set deep enough into the hole to prevent theft using vise grips to get them off?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do these set deep enough into the hole to prevent theft using vise grips to get them off?
There's a bit of the lug nut above the wheel edge but not much room to get a bite on it.

Sponsored

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There's a bit of the lug nut above the wheel edge but not much room to get a bite on it.
Thanks then I'll keep them. I was going to return the ones I bought.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks then I'll keep them. I was going to return the ones I bought.
Now that's w/ my specific wheels, if your wheels have bigger lug bores then it might be easier to defeat w/ vice grip type pliers.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Now that's w/ my specific wheels, if your wheels have bigger lug bores then it might be easier to defeat w/ vice grip type pliers.
Mine are factory Rubicon wheels and I believe it would be very difficult to remove them with anything other than the key or a cutting torch.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mine are factory Rubicon wheels and I believe it would be very difficult to remove them with anything other than the key or a cutting torch.
Only the spare would be "easier" since they're only torqued to 45-50 ft lbs, and even so it would probably still be more work than the avg punk would want. The regular wheel nuts at 130 ft lbs is pretty serious thievery.

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Only the spare would be "easier" since they're only torqued to 45-50 ft lbs, and even so it would probably still be more work than the avg punk would want. The regular wheel nuts at 130 ft lbs is pretty serious thievery.
Yes, but not real easy. Anyway, they are on now and I'll have some security even if it is just a little.
Sponsored