Sponsored

GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews?

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I am interested in this roof rack. I want aluminum. It will be for light duty use, awning maybe max tracks, bag here and there for highway use. So I won't be drilling, just rain gutter mounts.

Just want to make sure it's not a complete POS. Not much on google for reviews.
Sponsored

JonathanH

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2004 GX470
This rack is solid. I have it since last November. I originally bought the Rhino Rack with Pioneer platform because of lots of positive reviews. I returned it and bought the SRM500 because:
1. I would have to either drill holes on the pioneer platform or modify my RTT to get the tent installed because of the orientation of the fat bars. Not difficult but extra work.
2. SRM500 requires drilling only 8 holes so less chance for mistakes
3. SRM500 is mounted directly on the anti roll bar through the flat and thin (a few mm) part of the roof. Therefore the weight is entirely supported by the roll bar. The Pioneer is mounted at the edge of the roof where I believe is hollow, so the weight is somewhat supported by the roof which has a potential of cracking.

SR500 Pros:
1. Easy to install
2. Less $$$
3. Sturdy
4. Low profile. Overall added 4 inches from top of roof

Cons:
1. Not enough room to reach underneath to mount the tent. Have to use a long arm wrench and turn a quarter turn at a time
2. I have the 75” version so not able to remove the freedom panel
Jeep Wrangler JL GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews? 396BB15B-6F07-41D6-84F7-2381C3DDA475

Jeep Wrangler JL GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews? 052056FB-333C-4102-A6B1-EF5F7E82BBB8

Edit:
Just realized you are not going to drill holes so I assume you won’t be carrying heavy items like a RTT. In that case SRM500 is even more appealing.

stg1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Great rack. No issues at all. By the way, Go Rhino has quick release tent brackets that work well.

SRM500.jpg

Sponsored

JonathanH

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great rack. No issues at all. By the way, Go Rhino has quick release tent brackets that work well.

Jeep Wrangler JL GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews? SRM500
Are you using their quick release? If so, how much taller does it add?

First Name
Neiko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUD 80th Anniversary
This rack is solid. I have it since last November. I originally bought the Rhino Rack with Pioneer platform because of lots of positive reviews. I returned it and bought the SRM500 because:
1. I would have to either drill holes on the pioneer platform or modify my RTT to get the tent installed because of the orientation of the fat bars. Not difficult but extra work.
3. SRM500 is mounted directly on the anti roll bar through the flat and thin (a few mm) part of the roof. Therefore the weight is entirely supported by the roll bar. The Pioneer is mounted at the edge of the roof where I believe is hollow, so the weight is somewhat supported by the roof which has a potential of cracking.

SR500 Pros:
1. Easy to install
2. Less $$$
3. Sturdy

Cons:
1. Not enough room to reach underneath to mount the tent. Have to use a long arm wrench and turn a quarter turn at a time

Edit:
Just realized you are not going to drill holes so I assume you won’t be carrying heavy items like a RTT. In that case SRM500 is even more appealing.
have you tried to remove the freedom panels with the 75", is it just difficult or impossible?

JonathanH

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I did but it required loosening all 8 screws of the platform. Basically you cannot open the panels without removing the platform first.

JonathanH

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to add that removing those 8 small screws are pretty easy.

Sponsored

iamcrispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler JL

SR500 Pros:
1. Easy to install
2. Less $$$
3. Sturdy

Cons:

Edit:
I have a coupe questions, how much weight do you think you can hold with the 6 clamps? And will a 65” be able to fit a tent on it?

JonathanH

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a coupe questions, how much weight do you think you can hold with the 6 clamps? And will a 65” be able to fit a tent on it?
Sorry, you’ll have to ask the vendor for the weight load as I have no clue.

I think 65” will be able to fit most side open RTTs without problems. Clam shell … probably.

I have just changed my RTT to a clamshell type and it fits well on my 75” rack. I think 65” will work.
Jeep Wrangler JL GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews? IMG_3232
Jeep Wrangler JL GoRhino SRM500 rack reviews? IMG_3228

iamcrispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler JL
Sorry, you’ll have to ask the vendor for the weight load as I have no clue.

I think 65” will be able to fit most side open RTTs without problems. Clam shell … probably.

I have just changed my RTT to a clamshell type and it fits well on my 75” rack. I think 65” will work.
Thank you!!