Sponsored

GoRhino Dominator D6 Running Boards and Drop Steps (Lots of photos!)

Rich in Dallas

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, Tesla Model S
It’s not broken to then, just how it is. I’m living with it, but not recommending them to people who like uniformity :)

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not broken to then, just how it is. I’m living with it, but not recommending them to people who like uniformity :)
Wow, love the protection from rock/gravel and the look is better than other options but would have to have it to run parallel to the body. I can't see how they would consider this to be normal and unbroken.

Rich in Dallas

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, Tesla Model S
Wow, love the protection from rock/gravel and the look is better than other options but would have to have it to run parallel to the body. I can't see how they would consider this to be normal and unbroken.
I fully agree, which is what prompted my post so other JL owners are aware

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Hate to dig up an old thread but I installed these this week/weekend. Somewhat long review. Sorry.

I bought these because of the drop step option plus they don’t mount to the main body bolts and the price is good and I liked how they looked in pictures. That’s a lot of ‘ands,’ sorry. Anyway, I got a great price from @Quadratec. I think it’s worthwhile mentioning the forum sponsors when you get a great deal or service. Extremely happy with this purchase.

Anyway, the main rails/steps came in first. Quality seems nice. Coating is very good and they feel solid but not overly heavy. They were pretty simple to install, though the final brackets were a little difficult to do by myself. An extra pair of hands would’ve made it fairly painless. They are about the same level, if not slightly higher than the stock Sahara steps. Not an issue, just a note.

I got the drop down steps later in the week. I bought them on eBay and they were apparently returns. Not a problem as they seemed to be in good shape and the hardware was in new packaging. Install was a breeze - or so I thought. The steps mount to the main rail using button head bolts though holes on the main rail plus an additional bracket further toward the frame.

My first shot at this I didn’t like where the front door step was located. Needed to move it forward a bit. Tried to take off the bolts and two of them were frozen. I had no trouble getting them on, so I know they weren’t cross-threaded. The button-head allen tops stripped on me and I ended up having to dremel them off. I thought this was a case of cheap bolts, so I got some heavier duty bolts the same size but with hex heads to be safe.

That was yesterday. The boss used them for the first time last night and said they weren’t needed and just added clutter, which I agreed with, so I went to remove them. 23 of 24 bolts came free just fine but the 24th acted just like the two I had trouble with Friday. Luckily, this time I was able to use a breaker bar and wrench to break the bolt.

Too much coincidence with this many nuts and bolts freezing up. I think what’s happening is after the nuts are tightened, when the steps are used pressure causes the bolt and/or threads to bend enough to lock the nut. At this point, they aren’t coming apart. I don’t think I did anything wrong. Followed the instructions to the letter regarding the bolts/nuts/washers. Curious if anyone else with these have had any trouble?

Anyway, the main step is great for my needs and hard to beat for the price.

00914293-BF3C-4FCD-9B8E-3F5778C5A747.jpeg
7DA04DEF-8537-4354-9B6C-A621A3417BD6.jpeg
0DBBE2D3-735A-4BC3-ADD9-7CE073BCCECC.jpeg
48C2B3B2-F130-43F3-A5E8-AB68B076AF24.jpeg
50D339B4-A5E6-4AD8-B7C4-960C36262B96.jpeg
1BA2E686-1207-4EAC-9F03-8BFA0C2D3A1E.jpeg
9AB8C0C7-EFD2-44E2-B76B-78361507EB1B.jpeg
2BB16376-31A4-4183-B0C3-BD6B92A96A1A.jpeg
40BE5C98-BF56-4F8B-A3C9-028BA254D2DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Hate to dig up an old thread but I installed these this week/weekend. Somewhat long review. Sorry.

I bought these because of the drop step option plus they don’t mount to the main body bolts and the price is good and I liked how they looked in pictures. That’s a lot of ‘ands,’ sorry. Anyway, I got a great price from @Quadratec. I think it’s worthwhile mentioning the forum sponsors when you get a great deal or service. Extremely happy with this purchase.

Anyway, the main rails/steps came in first. Quality seems nice. Coating is very good and they feel solid but not overly heavy. They were pretty simple to install, though the final brackets were a little difficult to do by myself. An extra pair of hands would’ve made it fairly painless. They are about the same level, if not slightly higher than the stock Sahara steps. Not an issue, just a note.

I got the drop down steps later in the week. I bought them on eBay and they were apparently returns. Not a problem as they seemed to be in good shape and the hardware was in new packaging. Install was a breeze - or so I thought. The steps mount to the main rail using button head bolts though holes on the main rail plus an additional bracket further toward the frame.

My first shot at this I didn’t like where the front door step was located. Needed to move it forward a bit. Tried to take off the bolts and two of them were frozen. I had no trouble getting them on, so I know they weren’t cross-threaded. The button-head allen tops stripped on me and I ended up having to dremel them off. I thought this was a case of cheap bolts, so I got some heavier duty bolts the same size but with hex heads to be safe.

That was yesterday. The boss used them for the first time last night and said they weren’t needed and just added clutter, which I agreed with, so I went to remove them. 23 of 24 bolts came free just fine but the 24th acted just like the two I had trouble with Friday. Luckily, this time I was able to use a breaker bar and wrench to break the bolt.

Too much coincidence with this many nuts and bolts freezing up. I think what’s happening is after the nuts are tightened, when the steps are used pressure causes the bolt and/or threads to bend enough to lock the nut. At this point, they aren’t coming apart. I don’t think I did anything wrong. Followed the instructions to the letter regarding the bolts/nuts/washers. Curious if anyone else with these have had any trouble?

Anyway, the main step is great for my needs and hard to beat for the price.

00914293-BF3C-4FCD-9B8E-3F5778C5A747.jpeg
7DA04DEF-8537-4354-9B6C-A621A3417BD6.jpeg
0DBBE2D3-735A-4BC3-ADD9-7CE073BCCECC.jpeg
48C2B3B2-F130-43F3-A5E8-AB68B076AF24.jpeg
50D339B4-A5E6-4AD8-B7C4-960C36262B96.jpeg
1BA2E686-1207-4EAC-9F03-8BFA0C2D3A1E.jpeg
9AB8C0C7-EFD2-44E2-B76B-78361507EB1B.jpeg
2BB16376-31A4-4183-B0C3-BD6B92A96A1A.jpeg
40BE5C98-BF56-4F8B-A3C9-028BA254D2DE.jpeg
What wheels are those?