Sponsored

GoRhino Dominator D6 Running Boards and Drop Steps (Lots of photos!)

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
These running boards exceeded my expectations in many ways. You only give up 1/2" of ground clearance over the Rubicon sliders, which is really good for a functional step.

They have a clever way of bolting onto the side, so the bottom is smooth, thick steel, with no brackets of bolts to snag on. I believe they are at least as good as a slider as the Rubicon ones, but of course not as good as something that bolts onto the frame.

The drop steps: At first I did not think I would ever run these on the trail, but I just wanted to give them a try in town. They bolt onto the running boards easily, and must admit they look and work awesome. They give the Jeep a super rugged and industrial look.

I ended up taking them out twice, once to Gorman, then again to Trabuco Canyon. I scraped, banged, and dragged them a fair amount. It wasn't as bad as I thought, they never got me stuck, but I think I would unbolt them on any serious trail.

The cost: 4" of ground clearance on the sides. But when I measured everything under the belly of the Jeep, it didn't seem as bad. Here's the breakdown on ground clearance on my Jeep right now.

Running board sliders: 20"
Drop step: 16"
Frame: 17"
Crossmember: 15"

So at least they're not the lowest point, hehe.

Part numbers
Running boards: D64506T
Drop steps: D6410000T

20180703_145625.jpg
20180703_165726.jpg
20180703_192247.jpg
20180704_125456.jpg
20180704_125438.jpg
20180706_152902.jpg
20180706_152934.jpg
20180706_145942.jpg
20180706_151125.jpg
20180707_062517.jpg
20180707_063053.jpg
Sponsored

BAJEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Is the pinch seam exposed with these? (Hard to tell in the pics)

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Is the pinch seam exposed with these? (Hard to tell in the pics)
Here's a few closer photos of the pinch seam. From the underside you can see the the back of the seam is not completely covered, but the slider is low and tight in front of it.

From the outside, you can see a little bit of the seam and bolts, but not the bottom. A big pet peeve of mine is when you can see the bottom of the pinch seam from the outside.

20180712_070401.jpg
20180712_070457.jpg

Stratplexi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, BMW 535, Harley CVO Road King, 18 JLUR on order
Occupation
Engineering Director
I like these a lot. Same question...does it conceal pinch seam? Does it protect rear fender from debris being thrown by front tires? Thanks

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Those actually look pretty good. Any issue you think with a shorter person exiting the jeep? Perhaps not being able to get their foot down because the boards push your legs so far out. I know it's a balance of trying to provide an adequate step you won't slip off of and not sticking so far out from the body it impacts a shorter and older persons ability to exit the Jeep.

Sponsored

Stratplexi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, BMW 535, Harley CVO Road King, 18 JLUR on order
Occupation
Engineering Director
Who has these for discounted price?

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Those actually look pretty good. Any issue you think with a shorter person exiting the jeep? Perhaps not being able to get their foot down because the boards push your legs so far out. I know it's a balance of trying to provide an adequate step you won't slip off of and not sticking so far out from the body it impacts a shorter and older persons ability to exit the Jeep.
I actually use it getting out too. I put one foot on the board then ease down to the ground. It's also worked well for my in-laws who are older and have trouble getting in and out of cars.

Remember a running board is not a new thing, they've been using them to get in and out of trucks for decades. But this one is made specifically to be both a slider and a step. It's super tough.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Could you get just one more pic? One looking straight down the sides. I’m wanting to see how far these come out past the door...and if they are even with the stock fenders.

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Could you get just one more pic? One looking straight down the sides. I’m wanting to see how far these come out past the door...and if they are even with the stock fenders.
Hope these help, it was the best I could do.

Think of it this way: From tip to tip, the running boards are pretty close (within an inch) to the length of the pinch seam. So I used the pinch seam to center them, not the fenders. Because of this, you can see there is a lot of extra step in front of the front door, which I think is good, because it probably blocks a lot of debris.

20180706_152934.jpg
20180714_073424.jpg
20180714_073539.jpg
20180714_073550.jpg
20180714_073607.jpg

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
I ran across this picture on another thread. I am verifying if it's the D6 but it was confirmed a Go Rhino product. None the less do you have this issue as well?

jl wings.jpg

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Hope these help, it was the best I could do.

20180714_073424.jpg
This is what I was looking for. Perfect! Thanks!

I ran across this picture on another thread. I am verifying if it's the D6 but it was confirmed a Go Rhino product. None the less do you have this issue as well?

jl wings.jpg
Good question. I saw this guys post also, but had forgotten about it. Yours does appear to have this issue, too, although to a lesser degree, it seems.

OP
OP
JD Flick

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
I'm pretty sure that's the same step as mine. Is the issue you're referring to that it appears wider in the back and narrower in the front?

It might be that they are slightly biased that way, but the angle of the photo enhances the effect due to the rear bumpers being narrower than the front.

But I would have to see his/her full setup to confirm they are bolted on properly. I've never noticed that on mine.

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I like these too. I have the mopar step sides and like them mainly they protect the sides from being hit by tire debris. I plopped them and the jeep on some rocks last weekend and have no confidence they protect the body. May go with these.

Rich in Dallas

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, Tesla Model S
I confirmed with gorhino that they are aware of this due to the shape of the JL. They said they couldn’t build it to follow the body line. They have had multiple complaints, said it looked “worse” on white Jeeps and recommended I contact the dealer I purchased it from to try to return their product. Great customer experience

Rich in Dallas

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, Tesla Model S
And it isn’t that the product is “wider” it is uniform, the body tapers and they didn’t account for that like the roam and other products
Sponsored