Sponsored

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Question

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi fellow Jeepers,

I live up in Canada so I’m looking for a good AT tire that does well in the snow.

I was looking at the Wrangler DuraTrac in size 285/75/R18 however apparently this one doesn’t have the snowflake symbol so it’s not rated for severe snow.

I only heard good things about DuraTracs so it’s weird this size doesn’t have the snowflake symbol. Has anyone run this size and can tell me about snow performance?

Alternatively, what are some good (and fairly skinny) snow rated tires - looking for 35s. And yes I know ATs will not be as good as a dedicated winter tire, so let me preempt that comment ;)

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi fellow Jeepers,

I live up in Canada so I’m looking for a good AT tire that does well in the snow.

I was looking at the Wrangler DuraTrac in size 285/75/R18 however apparently this one doesn’t have the snowflake symbol so it’s not rated for severe snow.

I only heard good things about DuraTracs so it’s weird this size doesn’t have the snowflake symbol. Has anyone run this size and can tell me about snow performance?

Alternatively, what are some good (and fairly skinny) snow rated tires - looking for 35s. And yes I know ATs will not be as good as a dedicated winter tire, so let me preempt that comment ;)

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Wow, I can't imagine why that particular size didn't get the rating, given the tread looks identical. Everyone I know with Duratracs raves about their snow performance, though. I've just assumed they all had the symbol or 3 peak rating or whatever it is.

You might look at Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and Goodyear's web site to see if they change up the snow traction ratings for each size. Also look at reviews for that size. If you see good reviews, then the symbol won't mean a thing.

I do know the 285 KO2's on my JK (takeoffs from my JL) have the symbol, so you could look at those. I've found them to be very good. But again, the Duratrac owners rave about the snow performance more than with any other owners of different makes that I know.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
DuraTrac is a bit of an oddball: some retailers classify it is an AT, others as an MT, Tire Rack classifies it as a Commercial Truck Tire.

I’ve owned DuraTrac, BFG KO2 and General Grabber ATX over the years. They are all about equally competent in snow, with the DuraTrac having a slight edge in icy conditions, KO2 in heavy rain, and Grabbers in loose dirt.

Some have had issues with DuraTracs not wearing evenly. KO2 and Grabber are both rated for 50,000 miles and wear well and evenly.

My Sahara on 33-inch KO2s
Jeep Wrangler JL Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Question 515246DF-1FE7-4508-A9B2-D386C0FB0639

Right now I have 35x12.5 General Grabbers on my Sahara. If I were to do it all over again, I’d go with either these Generals or KO2s
Jeep Wrangler JL Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Question A9F868D0-C547-4EFA-9C89-BCF110279603

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
DuraTrac is a bit of an oddball: some retailers classify it is an AT, others as an MT, Tire Rack classifies it as a Commercial Truck Tire.

I’ve owned DuraTrac, BFG KO2 and General Grabber ATX over the years. They are all about equally competent in snow, with the DuraTrac having a slight edge in icy conditions, KO2 in heavy rain, and Grabbers in loose dirt.

Some have issues with DuraTracs not wearing evenly. KO2 and Grabber are both rated for 50,000 miles and wear well and evenly.

Right now I have 35x12.5 General Grabbers on my Sahara. If I were to do it all over again, I’d go with either these Generals or KO2s
Jeep Wrangler JL Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Question A9F868D0-C547-4EFA-9C89-BCF110279603
Hahahaha I was just gonna tell the dude to look up Aldo98229. He’s our resident tire expert

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Just get the 295/70-18 Those are studable and have the severe snow rating. Still nearly 35" at 34.8 and just a touch wider.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.
Yeah for whatever reason that particular size doesn’t have the 3 peak snow rating.
I liked the DuraTrac in that size because it only weighs 61 lbs. I think the KO2s are 5 lbs heavier. Also 12.5 inch is too wide for my stock rim which I’m trying to keep. Looking at Toyos and Cooper now... man it’s a tough decision lol

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I wouldn't worry about the symbol. Duratracs are an incredible snow tire and substantially better than most All Terrain tires for snow like conditions.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.
Yeah for whatever reason that particular size doesn’t have the 3 peak snow rating.
I liked the DuraTrac in that size because it only weighs 61 lbs. I think the KO2s are 5 lbs heavier. Also 12.5 inch is too wide for my stock rim which I’m trying to keep. Looking at Toyos and Cooper now... man it’s a tough decision lol
In the size you listed the Tire Rack has them as 60 lbs, the 295 I listed is 59 lbs and snowflake rated. The duratracs are great in the snow, probably one of the best

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I wouldn't worry about the symbol. Duratracs are an incredible snow tire and substantially better than most All Terrain tires for snow like conditions.
I'd be concerned about the symbol. If they changed the compound to meet a different need, they won't perform the same. They are a different mold without the stud holes so who really knows what is different. It is a lot more than just the tread pattern that makes a tire work in the snow.

OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m wondering if 295 would be too wide for the stock rim. I’m trying to avoid spacers or aftermarket wheels. The 285/75 DuraTracs are only 11.2 in wide so they work with stock rims

Sponsored

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
About five years ago, I had a piece of gravel wedge between the tread on virtually new Duratracs and cause a flat. Maybe an anomaly, but enough for me to swear off of them. Good luck with your decision.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I’m wondering if 295 would be too wide for the stock rim. I’m trying to avoid spacers or aftermarket wheels. The 285/75 DuraTracs are only 11.2 in wide so they work with stock rims
Lot's of people running tires wider than that on stock wheels. I am going to run 35x12.5-17s on mine and do not anticipate any problems. The difference between 285 and 295 is 10mm, less than half an inch. 315 is the approximate comparable to the 35x12.5. I personally wouldn't even think twice.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I had good luck with the Duratracs though they became pretty noisy at about 20,000 miles. They were incredible in snow….

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
About five years ago, I had a piece of gravel wedge between the tread on virtually new Duratracs and cause a flat. Maybe an anomaly, but enough for me to swear off of them. Good luck with your decision.
I know lots of guys running them in the Colorado rockies. Lots of gravel road use, never seen a failure. They are not my first choice for the Jeep because they are 2 ply side wall instead of 3 like many others choices. I am pretty sure the C rated KO2's are down to a 2 ply sidewall so maybe it isn't an issue on a lightly loaded Jeep. I will be swapping out tires on my new F-350 for the 295/70-18 Duratracs immediately, to be used plowing snow and hauling sleds up forest service roads all winter. I know a dozen guys who swear by them, including me.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I got 50K miles out of the Duratracs in my JK and still might have gotten one more winter out of them but sold it.

I have Duratracs on my XJ and they are doing great.

I put Duratracs on my new JLU and I'm looking forward to many years of good use out of them.

I'm also running 35x12.5/17 on stock Rubicon wheels. No problems with them.
Sponsored