Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Question

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I know lots of guys running them in the Colorado rockies. Lots of gravel road use, never seen a failure. They are not my first choice for the Jeep because they are 2 ply side wall instead of 3 like many others choices. I am pretty sure the C rated KO2's are down to a 2 ply sidewall so maybe it isn't an issue on a lightly loaded Jeep. I will be swapping out tires on my new F-350 for the 295/70-18 Duratracs immediately, to be used plowing snow and hauling sleds up forest service roads all winter. I know a dozen guys who swear by them, including me.
My flat was on my Power Wagon with less than 10K on the tires. I pulled the piece of gravel out myself and the hissing started. It wasn’t even gravel from a trail. It was literally gravel from a gravel parking lot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Lot's of people running tires wider than that on stock wheels. I am going to run 35x12.5-17s on mine and do not anticipate any problems. The difference between 285 and 295 is 10mm, less than half an inch. 315 is the approximate comparable to the 35x12.5. I personally wouldn't even think twice.
I have a Sahara so I think the axles are not as wide as on a Rubicon. That’s why I’m concerned about rubbing on the control arms etc. when the tire is too wide.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.
Yeah for whatever reason that particular size doesn’t have the 3 peak snow rating.
I liked the DuraTrac in that size because it only weighs 61 lbs. I think the KO2s are 5 lbs heavier. Also 12.5 inch is too wide for my stock rim which I’m trying to keep. Looking at Toyos and Cooper now... man it’s a tough decision lol
Yeah, I was originally looking at that size in trying to keep my Sahara rims. Unfortunately, there aren't very many options.

The other tires I was considering in that size along with the Duratrac were the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and the Cooper Discoverer AT3. I believe they are both snow rated. The Falken wins if only because it looks more butch.

Here are all the tires available in that size: https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/285-75R18.htm

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, each Falken Wildpeak AT3 in 285/75R18 costs $50 more than a 35x12.5 General Grabber. Something to factor into your budget when you are trying to keep your OE wheels.

You pay for the wheels once; you pay more for each tire every time you replace them.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Having a helluva time with the similar core issue (trying to get bigger tires on my stock 18" Sahara wheels).

The cheapest option is to buy some Rubicon takeoffs (~$1-1.3K on FB Marketplace). This would get me up to more aggressive 33s (KO2s or Falkens) and down to a 17" wheel, so that my *next* set of tires will be cheaper with a wider variety.

Otherwise, I'm looking at nearly $3.5-4K up front to get new smaller/wider rims and 34s to go on them.

I know the whole "buy once cry once" but I've got ~$3.5K total budget available right now. If I do the Rubi takeoffs, I'll have enough budget to also get bumpers, which will basically "complete" my desired look for the next ~12-18 months, save for a winch. If I blow my whole budget on wheels/tires, it'll be another ~12-18 months before I have the funds available for bumpers.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC40, 2024 Wrangler SPORT S
Every Jerp I’ve owned had white letters and I really want them on my new tires except Goodyear Wranglers stop putting WL on 265’s.
Sponsored