First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Wondering about the 255/70R18 Wrangler Kevlar AT's that come on the JLU Sahara? Those that have some experience with them, what do you think? I'm not talking about folks that couldn't wait to go big and mud/rock stuff but those that stayed stock for at least a few K miles, any dood?

Thanks ahead of time. Wolfdog :)
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think honestly that both stock AT options on Sport/Sahara are garbage. Not only do they run smaller than the HT tire options on the same models, but the tread designs are barely more aggressive than those HT options.

If I was buying a Sport/Sahara I would take the HT tires and upgrade to a better AT tire after purchase if need be. The Bridgestone Dueler HT was on mine when I picked it up, and they measured a true 32" and had a wider tread contact patch than the Dueler ATs on the Jeep right next to mine.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I have 1100 miles on mine. No complaints yet, FYI i have a Sport s so mine are on 17"

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Mine came with them and While they aren't the most A/T type of tire they aren't that bad. They could be worse like what was offered on the SPORT JK's those were pathetic. I think my old Saturn L200 stock tires were more grippy LOL. But I will switch to either NITTO Ridge Grapplers or BFG A/T KO2's ASAP.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I like them a lot. 3,000 miles with them on a Sahara, one trip off road in mud, easy rocks, some inclines and they worked great. Haven't had them in snow yet but through tons of rain when I shift the Jeep to 4WD Selectrac they work great. No issues yet and they are real quiet.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The reviews on Tire Rack are very good. I think they perform great on the road, but I’m curious to see how they do in the snow. I have zero complaints. In fact, I’ve been contemplating upgrading to aftermarket wheels and I may hold off since my Jeep drives so nice on the Goodyears. I’m afraid what I’d end up with.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Never liked them, but that's based on my experience with them over 30 years ago. They had two weaknesses: mediocre off-road durability and rapid wear.

Firstwave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 2018 Mazda CX9
They had a more aggressive look than I was expecting and decided to keep them on my Sahara. l'm not planning on rock climbing or any difficult trails. I have done some easy trails around Ouray, Silverton and Telluride with no problem. When these wear out I would like to switch to 17" wheels and a little bit larger tire.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
They had a more aggressive look than I was expecting and decided to keep them on my Sahara. l'm not planning on rock climbing or any difficult trails. I have done some easy trails around Ouray, Silverton and Telluride with no problem. When these wear out I would like to switch to 17" wheels and a little bit larger tire.
To put 33” tires (KO2s) on the 18” Sahara rim it is about $240 per tire... on a 17” rim the same size tire is $220ish.

When I wear my stock ATs out, I’m likely going to get some Rubi take-offs (rims and tires). For the set of 17” Rubi rims and 33” tires... it’s cheaper than getting a new set tires for the stock 18” rims... seems like a no brainer. Lol

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
I just wrapped my Sahara in these, and the Kevlar is what sold me on them-it is supposed to make for a lot more solid of a tire, although who knows, it could be a gimmick as so many things are. So far I love them-they're quiet on the highway, but handle the deep sand just fine. For rock climbing-eh..not sure I would rock climb with those tires!

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks all!

My Loaded Sahara came with Bridgestone HT's not AT's so really quiet on the road, high MPG on my commute and good with air down to 18lbs in beach sand. Pretty slippery in moderate off road steep inclines (no rock climbing). Would like a bit more grip especially in snow. Have opportunity to buy a "take off" set of Goodyear Wrangler AT's very low $$.

Had Bridgestone Dueler AT's on last JKU and they were fine. However my JLUS came with HT's because even having a Dana 44 and limited slip because I ordered "Selec-Trac" they switch to HT's??? Presume total "mall crawler" I guess, not the case. Lazy in winter commutes is all I guess. Not a lot off road but some light to moderate and lots of beach sand towing a 1000lb boat and trailer. Ahhh then the mall!! lol

Appreciate the info all.

Go Jeep!!!

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
To learn more about Goodyear Wrangler tire, check out this link:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4426803/jeep-wrangler-tire-blowout-highway-401/

This fellow Wrangler JL owner, picked up his new car in July and about a week ago when his left rear Goodyear Wrangler tire blew out while he was traveling down the busy Hwy-401 near Toronto. All FCA Canada had to say is that the tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer - contact them.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
To learn more about Goodyear Wrangler tire, check out this link:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4426803/jeep-wrangler-tire-blowout-highway-401/

This fellow Wrangler JL owner, picked up his new car in July and about a week ago when his left rear Goodyear Wrangler tire blew out while he was traveling down the busy Hwy-401 near Toronto. All FCA Canada had to say is that the tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer - contact them.
I don’t know of any car brand that warranties the tires on a new car. I think the response FCA Canada supplied was appropriate. I second the comment that it’s great that nobody was hurt!

For what it’s worth this appears to be a well known attention seeking attorney who this happened to. Watch out Goodyear.

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think all auto manufacturers are pretty much the same on tire problems. It's interesting Goodyear wants to examine tire, that's pretty good I'm thinking?

Go Jeep!!!

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Wondering about the 255/70R18 Wrangler Kevlar AT's that come on the JLU Sahara? Those that have some experience with them, what do you think? I'm not talking about folks that couldn't wait to go big and mud/rock stuff but those that stayed stock for at least a few K miles, any dood?

Thanks ahead of time. Wolfdog :)
Had the same tires on my 17 Tacoma TRD-off road 16” variant. While i was not extatic with the look, I prefer the more aggressive looking ones, I drove that truck through a winter here in Colorado and never (never) had to put that truck into 4wd one time. Not nearly as angry looking as the tire types/brands I prefer, but they were pretty damn good tires as all around’ers. Flip side is my Wrangler came with the KO2s - really like the look, haven’t gotten them in snow or crushed ice like what we have in the metro area in the winter yet. BUT! The KO2s are some rock throwing bastards... I had Nitto Trail Grapplers on my FJ, which are more aggressive, and they were no where near the rock chuckers that the BFGs are. Luckily I haven’t removed any paint yet with the KO2s, I will get decisive and buy some steps one day, but until then the unpainted fenders seem to help lol!
Sponsored