2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Too early to tell if it's a bad sign, but much better than a Chinese company buying them

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
The only 2 true American brands left

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
The only 2 true American brands left
General Tire started in Akron a year or so after Cooper. I've actually purchased more General Tires than any other brand through the past 50+ years. Cooper and General are about the same age with roots in Akron. But for some reason through the years, I've always keep buying Generals as they've always held up the best for me. I knows it's a Ford-vs-Chevy argument but many just go with the brand that has been the most reliable for them ...pertaining to tires, I personally have had the best reliability (no flats, no failures), best tread life, best gas mileage, etc. So I keep buying them --although once in awhile I'll stray and buy something else but I've spent a lot of money on Generals.

Last edited:

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have always ran Cooper and never an issue and will probably run Cooper always. Of course this thread is about Cooper and Goodyear not sure why you would feel the need to take it off topic, since no one was asking?

Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Well I have always ran Cooper and never an issue and will probably run Cooper always. Of course this thread is about Cooper and Goodyear not sure why you would feel the need to take it off topic, since no one was asking?
I bet his thought pattern probably originated from him being an American and all... you know 1st Ammendment, Free Speech and all that noise. I know, I know... new President, but we still have the 'Ole Bill of Rights right??? 'Merica!!!

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to read the end of his post where he states another off topic post? LoL Freedom of Speech I do suppose I stand corrected and apologize. Sorry Mr. Roamer, I am sure your 'Merican too.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Well, if that does end up being the case (GY buying cooper), that means Mickey/DC/and others go too unless they go off on their own. Might help some processes though since Mickey is in Stow, OH, and Goodyear is about 20 mins away in Akron, OH.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I don't see it as a bad thing as far as most megers/buyouts go. Both are quality US companies and still retain a strong US made footprint. Like @Morris4x4 mentioned, will be interested seeing how this affects the Mickey/Cepek lines. I assume since Cooper is their parent company things will continue as-is for the foreseeable future. IMO Cooper STT Pros, Goodyear Duratracs, and most of the Mickey Thompson lineup are in the very top tier in off road tires, we can only hope this won't change anything in that regard :)

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Sponsored

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
I forgot to read the end of his post where he states another off topic post? LoL Freedom of Speech I do suppose I stand corrected and apologize. Sorry Mr. Roamer, I am sure your 'Merican too.
No, I regret posting off-topic and I do apologize. I have a bad habit of that on message boards.

With that said, what I was responing to was Goodyear and Cooper being the only 2 American brands left. General Tire is almost just as old as Cooper and started in Akron also. That is what I was responding to. Yes, I shouldn't have stated that I like Generals as that would be off-topic. Sorry.

Last edited:

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Yeah, I don't see it as a bad thing as far as most megers/buyouts go. Both are quality US companies and still retain a strong US made footprint. Like @Morris4x4 mentioned, will be interested seeing how this affects the Mickey/Cepek lines. I assume since Cooper is their parent company things will continue as-is for the foreseeable future. IMO Cooper STT Pros, Goodyear Duratracs, and most of the Mickey Thompson lineup are in the very top tier in off road tires, we can only hope this won't change anything in that regard :)
Absolutely agreed. I've owned/currently have Duratracs, Stt Pros, and Deegan 38s and love/d all of them. Part of me doubts that anything major/bad would happen and believe this will be a good joining. They all have a strong showing and Mickey has been stepping up their presence even more now with the baja series that's done phenomenally well. If all goes well, Goodyear made a great move in bringing in a good name with great brands.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Absolutely agreed. I've owned/currently have Duratracs, Stt Pros, and Deegan 38s and love/d all of them. Part of me doubts that anything major/bad would happen and believe this will be a good joining. They all have a strong showing and Mickey has been stepping up their presence even more now with the baja series that's done phenomenally well. If all goes well, Goodyear made a great move in bringing in a good name with great brands.
Seems there’s too many mega companies though in my opinion. I worry about the medicrity of the Goodyear philosophy permeating a known good company. There are exceptions to the mediocrity but those are few and have been for decades since the switch from bias plys. And all of those decades I’ve never heard any of my enthusiast friends, etc. say “Man, I’ve got to get some Goodyears on there.” lol

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Seems there’s too many mega companies though in my opinion. I worry about the medicrity of the Goodyear philosophy permeating a known good company. There are exceptions to the mediocrity but those are few and have been for decades since the switch from bias plys. And all of those decades I’ve never heard any of my enthusiast friends, etc. say “Man, I’ve got to get some Goodyears on there.” lol
Definitely see what you're saying. The only ones I've seen raved about, at least in the 4x4 world, have been the MTRs and Druatracs (dependant on how you wheel or where b/c them sidewalls are bleh on the duras but great for snow lol) I feel like this is their way of trying to join teams in hopes to make a bigger presence in our community and probably the other sides of the car communities. Who knows what will come of this. Keeping my fingers crossed and staying positive for something good though.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The best tires I ever had were Goodyear Wrangler R/Ts back in the early 80s, and they also had plenty of support w/ Miltary HumVees, just an outstanding tire. There are plenty of bad Goodyear tires since then though, but the Duratrac & Ultra Terrain give me faith that they still know how to manufacture top notch 4x4 tires.
FWIW I have my next tires down to two now, either STT Pros or the yet to be released M/T Baja Boss AT. I really want a 3Peak rated tire but the STTs keep calling out to me, lol.

I think the potential downside to this merger would be if Goodyear tries to consolidate several US plants into 2 or 3 and eliminating jobs in cities that depend on them. Hopefully they'll keep the companies separate for the most part and keep the current tire lineup intact.

It sounds like they really want a bigger Chinese market share, hopefully that doesn't translate into making more of their tires that are manufactured now in the US and moving to China, I'm sure that may happen down the road, but hope it's many years from now.
Sponsored