Good Read: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I once had a 3.9 liter Dodge Dakota with a manual transmission, made about 30 lb/ft less than the 3.6 and had a 3500 lb tow rating. I never had any issue with a 2,000ish lb trailer, so this makes me think something is wrong with your engine. This even goes back to previous discussions we've had on this subject. Have you had it checked out?
Never thought of that, maybe something's wrong, haha. Never had it throw codes. The mileage is good, and when running empty the acceleration is actually pretty good IMO.
Although, I haven't towed with it since I switched to 91 and it also has over 5,000miles on it (feels like it's getting broken in), and running empty it does seem to run better than it used to right off the lot in May. I need to try towing again to see if that will be better also.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Never thought of that, maybe something's wrong, haha. Never had it throw codes. The mileage is good, and when running empty the acceleration is actually pretty good IMO.
Although, I haven't towed with it since I switched to 91 and it also has over 5,000miles on it (feels like it's getting broken in), and running empty it does seem to run better than it used to right off the lot in May. I need to try towing again to see if that will be better also.
that might be it. I did notice the throttle open up a bit more after it was broken in. If I were to guess, the engine might run on a different tune for the first few hundred miles :idea: I could be wrong though.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Were you pretty liberal with high RPMs? This v6 really does like to rev and if you drive it like a v8 and keep it at low RPM it will be a dog. I know the auto has no reservations about holding at 4000rpm and running to redline when it needs to get up and go!

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Were you pretty liberal with high RPMs? This v6 really does like to rev and if you drive it like a v8 and keep it at low RPM it will be a dog. I know the auto has no reservations about holding at 4000rpm and running to redline when it needs to get up and go!
Yep, on hills and when passing I run it right to redline before shifting. Problem is the headwind situation, running above 5k for 250 miles would probably skatter the poor thing...haha. This summer we pulled the trailer on our way back home from North Dakota and it was a brutal headwind the entire damn way. Not fun. But you're right, the auto would have stayed shifted down for sure. I'm just too used to hemi and diesel pickups, lots of torque.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Yep, on hills and when passing I run it right to redline before shifting. Problem is the headwind situation, running above 5k for 250 miles would probably skatter the poor thing...haha. This summer we pulled the trailer on our way back home from North Dakota and it was a brutal headwind the entire damn way. Not fun. But you're right, the auto would have stayed shifted down for sure. I'm just too used to hemi and diesel pickups, lots of torque.
We had the same problem with our 3.6, auto pulling a trailer at about 2000lbs or so. Just always at the redline with any little hill. To its defense we were always over 7k feet with 37s. We no longer have that issue now with the Turbo. It barely downshifts. I can only imagine the Diesel being better.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I agree. If you plan on towing anything more than a utility trailer with an ATV, dirt bike or lawn tractor on it, you should look at something else. The Wrangler was never meant to be or designed to be a tow vehicle, regardless of engine choice. Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding themselves.
It’s capable of (and officially rated for overseas) 5000lb towing with trailer brakes and euro speed cap (62mph). The JT with the HD towing package is good for 10,000 under the same conditions for those who need more than 5k.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It’s capable of (and officially rated for overseas) 5000lb towing with trailer brakes and euro speed cap (62mph). The JT with the HD towing package is good for 10,000 under the same conditions for those who need more than 5k.
Reread my post carefully. Never said it couldn't. You can use any passenger car to tow with some modifications. Said it was not designed or meant to be a towing vehicle. And I'm referring specifically to a 2 or 4 door Wrangler.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Reread my post carefully. Never said it couldn't. You can use any passenger car to tow with some modifications. Said it was not designed or meant to be a towing vehicle. And I'm referring specifically to a 2 or 4 door Wrangler.
It comes with a tow package, it was designed to tow. And it was designed to tow without modifications.

Was towing the primary design objective? No, but it was without a doubt designed for it, otherwise they'd never sell it with a hitch and a trailer plug pre-wired.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It comes with a tow package, it was designed to tow. And it was designed to tow without modifications.

Was towing the primary design objective? No, but it was without a doubt designed for it, otherwise they'd never sell it with a hitch and a trailer plug pre-wired.
Feel free to use it as you want then. You don't need any reassurance from anyone else.

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If a wrangler was not meant to be a towing vehicle, how can you explain the towing package? Decoration? Non-functional easter egg? I'm confused.

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I will be curious to see how it does in real life. Every time I drive from Kansas to Colorado I have a 25 mph head wind and get 13 or 14 at best running 70 or 75 with my 35's. If it would be able to get mid 20's with the same set up I would be really tempted. I have the ecodiesel in my 2017 Ram and get 27 with no head wind and 24 with a head wind. Will be interesting to see.....

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Geez the people complaining about the engine noise...

That's was quite possibly my favorite thing about my ecodiesel. I often didn't run the radio just to listen to that glorious clatter.
Sponsored