Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Original content by:

MOTOR AUTHORITY

Author:

Andrew Ganz

First drive review: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel ratchets up the power, range, and price.

CFBA0ACD-19A0-4E3D-BB4E-B9E32FAE8082.jpeg

Photo credit: MOTOR AUTHORITY

Key Takes:

This version of the turbodiesel V-6 is modified from the engine used in the Ram 1500 with a raised intake and other tweaks to give the diesel Wrangler the same 30-inch water-fording rating as its gas siblings.

Don’t look for a manual gearbox. Opting for the turbodiesel V-6 requires first selecting the $2,000 8-speed automatic transmission, something Jeep admits around 90 percent of buyers do anyway. From there, the diesel is a $3,250-$4,500 option, depending on the trim level. The engine hasn’t been certified yet by the EPA, though Jeep suggests fuel economy ratings are imminent. Figure nearly 30 mpg on the highway, or around 4-5 mpg higher than the standard Wrangler. That’s good, but it will never recoup the $5,250-$6,500 price admission for most drivers.

The calling cards: Power and Range

4EEE423D-3E23-4CF0-895F-2800EF1FE694.jpeg

The diesel instead trades on its power and range—Jeep figures upward of 500 miles from the 18.3-gallon fuel tank. Positioned behind the tank is a 5.1-gallon DEF tank good for around 10,000 miles of urea that is splashed into the exhaust to reduce emissions.

The engine’s torque comes on in full force from just 1,400 rpm. With a 4,400-rpm redline, the engine is easy to keep in its power band. The diesel Jeep doesn’t spin its tires from a stop, but power pours on steadily and forcefully like it’s poured from a bottle of maple syrup. Highway passing is a cinch, especially compared to the Wrangler’s relatively high-strung V-6. With its brick-like shape and 4,800-pound curb weight—the diesel adds around 400 pounds—this plump Jeep punches a big, square hole in the air.

The diesel has a unique sound-deadening package, but it doesn’t contribute meaningfully to that extra weight. At idle, the turbodiesel V-6 clatters away distantly. Tip into the throttle and it rattles like a coffee can full of gravel. Vibrations are kept to a minimum, and the standard stop/start system operates quietly, but the constant high-pitch ticking underhood becomes a nuisance eventually. However, that is often overcome by the predictably raucous wind and road noise endemic to—or part of the charm of—all Wranglers.

Jeep isn’t making the Selec-Trac transfer case with its full-time four-wheel-drive option available with the diesel engine, though an engineer said that’s more a complexity-reducing decision than any technical hurdle. That’s a shame as the full-time mode is a set-it-and-forget-it features that works well in rainy or slushy conditions.

With its extra torque, the diesel engine should provide more-confident towing, though Jeep says the 3,500-pound maximum trailer-lugging rating is unchanged from properly equipped gas models. That’s enough for a small camper, but don’t expect to use the Wrangler for heavy loads.

74A8C6F9-FE01-46C7-A02F-BBFB3D59DEFC.jpeg

+++++++++++

My take, I think it’ll be a great motor and pretty popular given it’s torque values, however, I’m saddened by no offering of a manual transmission as well as similar tow capacities as it’s siblings.
Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of an enigma to me that when Jeep finally decides to put a diesel in a wrangler that (1) the savings on fuel will likely never match the cost to upgrade and (2) the tow rating is still a measly 3,500 pounds (1,588 kilograms for our Canadian friends).

I love diesels but this seems kind of pointless.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
It's kind of an enigma to me that when Jeep finally decides to put a diesel in a wrangler that (1) the savings on fuel will likely never match the cost to upgrade and (2) the tow rating is still a measly 3,500 pounds (1,588 kilograms for our Canadian friends).

I tend to prefer the driving characteristics of a diesel over a gas engine, but I also tend to cruise at around 60-65 and not the 85+ that I see a lot of people doing on the highway.

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

This was EXACTLY my thought as well.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Informative article on the diesel.

Nice to have a choice for anyone interested. Unfortunately it's not a option for me. No 2-door diesel and my driving habits are not ideal for a diesel.

I definitely see some performance benefits. The added range is always nice. I think the most obvious advantage of the diesel is the massive torque. Great for anyone wanting huge and heavy wheels/tires.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
More evidence that the limits to the towing capacity does not lie in the Wrangler's engine and drive-train.
From my experience pulling a 2,000lb trailer all over the place this last summer, the lack of torque in the 3.6 is most certainly limiting the wrangler's towing ability. Ratings are one thing, real world ability is what counts.

Well unless you enjoy making everyone behind you mad when going over hills or driving into headwinds or taking a mile to pass a slow truck at 55, then I guess you could say the engine is not a limiting factor?

Diesel will make a huge difference in towing ability, I'm guessing. Might be worth the spend.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

A diesel almost never pays back with any decent ROI calc...especially when considering maintenance/repairs. They're just too pricey.

True on tow ratings, (I think the rating stays low because of the way the suspension is setup, the gladiator changed this by using the ram rear suspension, extending the wheelbase, and I think they used bigger brakes along with providing an electric brake controller option for trailers)....but I'm guessing the diesel wrangler wiil be night and day better at towing (i.e. keeping speed on hills, pulling into headwinds, etc), which is a real headache with the gassers.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Screw it. I'm buying one. My wife can have the real Jeep. I'll take the minivan with the diesel.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
From my experience pulling a 2,000lb trailer all over the place this last summer, the lack of torque in the 3.6 is most certainly limiting the wrangler's towing ability. Ratings are one thing, real world ability is what counts.

Well unless you enjoy making everyone behind you mad when going over hills or driving into headwinds or taking a mile to pass a slow truck at 55, then I guess you could say the engine is not a limiting factor?

Diesel will make a huge difference in towing ability, I'm guessing. Might be worth the spend.
Auto or manual? Would it not go any faster with the pedal on the floor, or were you partial throttle?

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Auto or manual? Would it not go any faster with the pedal on the floor, or were you partial throttle?
Manual. Floored. I even checked to be sure the emergency brake wasn't pulled up.....haha

Basically you have to rod the hell out of it, near readline. Which isn't the end of the world on hills or passing, because it's temporary. But we live in really windy country, had some stretches of a couple trips where we fought headwinds for 250miles continuous. Not realistic to run the thing at 5k all day long...yikes.

14ft aluminum flatbed with 4 dirt bikes and gear. Not real heavy but pretty un-aerodynamic.

3.6 just isn't suited well for towing. Good little engine otherwise, IMO

I'll bet the diesel would perform wayyyyy better in that scenario?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Manual. Floored. I even checked to be sure the emergency brake wasn't pulled up.....haha

Basically you have to rod the hell out of it, near readline. Which isn't the end of the world on hills or passing, because it's temporary. But we live in really windy country, had some stretches of a couple trips where we fought headwinds for 250miles continuous. Not realistic to run the thing at 5k all day long...yikes.

14ft aluminum flatbed with 4 dirt bikes and gear. Not real heavy but pretty un-aerodynamic.

3.6 just isn't suited well for towing. Good little engine otherwise, IMO

I'll bet the diesel would perform wayyyyy better in that scenario?
I once had a 3.9 liter Dodge Dakota with a manual transmission, made about 30 lb/ft less than the 3.6 and had a 3500 lb tow rating. I never had any issue with a 2,000ish lb trailer, so this makes me think something is wrong with your engine. This even goes back to previous discussions we've had on this subject. Have you had it checked out?

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I’m saddened by no offering of a manual transmission as well as similar tow capacities as it’s siblings.
Tow capacities are more than just engine torque - it's transmission cooling, driveline strength, suspension and (probably most importantly) brakes. FCA stated they already tuned the suspension for the ~450 lb weight increase. If they had made the suspension any stiffer, it would have made the ride (more) uncomfortable.

I don't see the Wrangler as a tow vehicle anyway. Being able to tow and being a tow vehicle are different things. If tow capacity is a high priority, then other vehicles are far better suited to the task. My opinion.

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Tow capacities are more than just engine torque - it's transmission cooling, driveline strength, suspension and (probably most importantly) brakes. FCA stated they already tuned the suspension for the ~450 lb weight increase. If they had made the suspension any stiffer, it would have made the ride (more) uncomfortable.

I don't see the Wrangler as a tow vehicle anyway. Being able to tow and being a tow vehicle are different things. If tow capacity is a high priority, then other vehicles are far better suited to the task. My opinion.
Funny you mention this as earlier I had started typing up what the tow capacity is factored from. You pretty much nailed with the exception of mentioning GVWR\GCWR\GAWR.

All I’m saying is it would have been nice to have a little more. Not a priority for me personally but as the old adage goes: Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

I agree. If you plan on towing anything more than a utility trailer with an ATV, dirt bike or lawn tractor on it, you should look at something else. The Wrangler was never meant to be or designed to be a tow vehicle, regardless of engine choice. Anyone who says otherwise is just kidding themselves.
Sponsored