Sponsored

Good news - Gupton purchased Wrangler serviced at dealer other than Gupton

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Like many of you, I traveled long and far to Gupton to purchase my rig due to the unmatched discount provided.

From day one, I was concerned I'd rue the day I took it for warranty service at one of our small, local dealer that lost out on the sale and knew it.

So far the unit is performing perfectly and hasn't needed anything.

That said, I prefer to have my first oil change before 5K.

Long story short, when I went in, there was absolutely no issue with scheduling the warranty service before the dashboard indicated it was needed.

Since it is specified as 3 changes within 36K, I didn’t think it would matter, but was glad to find out it didn't.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case others had the same concern, it might be unfounded.

I called Jeep Cares earlier this week and they deferred my to the servicing dealer for the answer.
Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Warranty is never an issue or shouldn't be no matter where you buy. I've bought several out of state and my dealer has always been great. Guess I'm lucky..

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Warranty is never an issue or shouldn't be no matter where you buy. I've bought several out of state and my dealer has always been great. Guess I'm lucky..
I agree.

I think I always have that line stuck in the back of my head that got shot at me years ago when the salesman asked me "Where are you planning on getting your warranty work done if you buy it somewhere else?"

I said "Here of course, you just told me what a kickass service department you have"

He said "Well you might and you might not."

I said "I thought the Ford warranty was good at any Ford dealer."

He said "It is, but we prioritize our customers we sell to, so it could be weeks before we could even fit you in"

So he basically tried to bully me into buying from them. In the end I did buy from them and I got good service.

Back then I was shy and quiet. For better or worse, I am not either anymore. If that happened today, I would instantly be on the phone with corporate, while we stood there.

That said, it does happen in our small market, all the time. I just talked to fella who had been waiting 6 weeks for warranty service for a vehicle he bought elsewhere.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Never heard of a dealer even mentioning where a vehicle was purchased. Most dealerships make their highest profit on the service dept side.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I agree.

I think I always have that line stuck in the back of my head that got shot at me years ago when the salesman asked me "Where are you planning on getting your warranty work done if you buy it somewhere else?"

I said "Here of course, you just told me what a kickass service department you have"

He said "It is, but we prioritize our customers we sell to, so it could be weeks before we could even fit you in"

So he basically tried to bully me into buying from them. In the end I did buy from them and I got good service.

Back then I was shy and quiet. For better or worse, I am not either anymore. If that happened today, I would instantly be on the phone with corporate, while we stood there.

That said, it does happen in our small market, all the time. I just talked to fella who had been waiting 6 weeks for warranty service for a vehicle he bought elsewhere.
That just makes you an asshole. Of course they would prioritize their own loyal, good customers. Business is about people, and having good customers is priority one.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
My $0.02:

It sounds like the OP would have been fine to buy local if they had matched or even approached Gupton's price.

I assume Gupton is a volume, heavily discounted dealer, who shares some of the volume discount pricing Stellantis offers them with their customers. The OPs local dealer could have chosen to sell this way.

Regardless, for a local dealer who lost the sale purely on price to balk about making $ on service...?

Maybe it's me but I don't worry about a local dealer who couldn't afford to match price because they didn't choose a sales model that was based on volume, where they sell more units at less of a profit for each. Even more rural dealers, selling based on volume, will attract distant customers.
You can’t just up and decide one day to sell high volume. It’s not reasonable.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My $0.02:

It sounds like the OP would have been fine to buy local if they had matched or even approached Gupton's price.

I assume Gupton is a volume, heavily discounted dealer, who shares some of the volume discount pricing Stellantis offers them with their customers. The OPs local dealer could have chosen to sell this way.

Regardless, for a local dealer who lost the sale purely on price to balk about making $ on service...?

Maybe it's me but I don't worry about a local dealer who couldn't afford to match price because they didn't choose a sales model that was based on volume, where they sell more units at less of a profit for each. Even more rural dealers, selling based on volume, will attract distant customers.
You are correct, there are several posts on the forum showing the lengths the OP went to try and buy local. All of the locals were thousands of dollars higher than Gupton for the exact same, ordered vehicle and were not interested to earn his business by being even semi-competitive. Honestly, a bid even within a $1,000 would have netted the locals the sale.

But thousands more to fill out the exact same paperwork and do the exact same pre-delivery prep, no, sorry.

Those of us that closely follow the auto industry know the majority of profit for a dealer on a new car sale, besides F&I loading on uninformed buyers, is in service.

Because of that, one would assume any dealer would be elated to have both warranty and out of warranty business on a vehicle, regardless of where it was purchased.

The OP was happy to learn his preferred local dealer service department was indeed happy to have his business.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I agree.

This kind of dealership mentality usually gets them a nasty review from me, we're a military family. We don't always have the luxury of staying in one place forever or getting to choose where we live, so I make their poor support of the military public knowledge.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This kind of dealership mentality usually gets them a nasty review from me, we're a military family. We don't always have the luxury of staying in one place forever or getting to choose where we live, so I make their poor support of the military public knowledge.
I have family in your exact situation. About every 4 years they have to move.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The average dealer would literally lose money selling a factory order at the price that these high volume dealers do. They cannot match the price and stay in business.

Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
The average dealer would literally lose money selling a factory order at the price that these high volume dealers do
Not nearly as much money as they'd miss out on by refusing to service them.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
They typically don't refuse to service them.
Telling someone that it's going to take weeks to get them in because they bought elsewhere essentially is the same thing.

If a dealer tells me "I won't service your vehicle because you bought it elsewhere" or "I'm going to go out of my way to inconvenience you because you bought elsewhere", I'll never darken their doorway again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Telling someone that it's going to take weeks to get them in because they bought elsewhere essentially is the same thing.

If a dealer tells me "I won't service your vehicle because you bought it elsewhere" or "I'm going to go out of my way to inconvenience you because you bought elsewhere", I'll never darken their doorway again.
They're busy, you are free to go elsewhere.