DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
With the merger and creation of Stellantis, there comes an immediate benefit.

Mobil 1 oil is now MS6395 certified! So those of us in the underground who have been secretly sneaking Mobil 1 into our Jeep engines can now come out into the open and bask in the light of freedom!

So, to celebrate, I put 5 quarts of fresh new M1 AFE 0w20 into my Pentastar, right out in the open, in front of people, with my Forever Wave flag flying from my CB antenna!

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-20/

It hasn't shown up on the labels yet, but the website has been updated to reflect this change.

Looks like Stellantis swept aside the politics that have been there since about 2009 or 2010, or so that kept FCA from permitting it.

So all is well and peaceful again inside the sumps of my Wranglers!
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Hopefully that means that Mobil reworked their additive package to improve ware protection at elevated temps and LSPI .
Reasont why I stayed with better and cheaper oil - Quaker state.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully that means that Mobil reworked their additive package to improve ware protection at elevated temps and LSPI .
Reasont why I stayed with better and cheaper oil - Quaker state.
Ok. Then use it if it makes you feel good.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Mobil 1 oil is now MS6395 certified! So those of us in the underground who have been secretly sneaking Mobil 1 into our Jeep engines can now come out into the open and bask in the light of freedom!

Looks like Stellantis swept aside the politics that have been there since about 2009 or 2010, or so that kept FCA from permitting it.
Backstory?

----------------

The Manual for my '21 2.0T specifies GF-6/API SP 5W-30 oil, synthetic allowed. I added 5 quarts of conforming Mobil 1, and that was that.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Backstory?

----------------

The Manual for my '21 2.0T specifies GF-6/API SP 5W-30 oil, synthetic allowed. I added 5 quarts of conforming Mobil 1, and that was that.
It is complicated but everyone close to it that I've spoken to says either Exxon Mobil and Chrysler had a falling out shortly after the 2008 economic dive, or they say it had to do with Shell's sponsorship of Ferrari in Formula 1 and the close relationship between FCA and Shell (Pennzoil). Some say a mix of both. Exxon Mobil reps have told me several times that it was corporate politics that kept them from MS6395 certification. So I can't be 100% sure of the exact reason, but I think we can be pretty sure that in general, it was politics.

They did let Exxon Mobil have it for their lower tier oils, though, because they did not compete globally with Shell's top products like Mobil 1.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is complicated but everyone close to it that I've spoken to says either Exxon Mobil and Chrysler had a falling out shortly after the 2008 economic dive, or they say it had to do with Shell's sponsorship of Ferrari in Formula 1 and the close relationship between FCA and Shell (Pennzoil). Some say a mix of both. Exxon Mobil reps have told me several times that it was corporate politics that kept them from MS6395 certification. So I can't be 100% sure of the exact reason, but I think we can be pretty sure that in general, it was politics.

They did let Exxon Mobil have it for their lower tier oils, though, because they did not compete globally with Shell's top products like Mobil 1.
As for sneaking around, I was just making fun of it. My Jeep dealer will happily sell you Mobil 1 on a Jeep oil change and won't make a fuss of it. And I've never once heard of a warranty issue with anyone for using it. Only on internet forums do you hear that stuff. FCA would have a terrible time denying a warranty for using an oil that is properly API certified for a particular vehicle. I've never heard of ANY company doing that, in fact.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Project Farm on YT made tested many oil from different brands and Mobil 1’s performance was average at best. A lot of better options out there at better price points.

Hopefully Mobil 1 upped their game.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Project Farm on YT made tested many oil from different brands and Mobil 1’s performance was average at best. A lot of better options out there at better price points.

Hopefully Mobil 1 upped their game.
This thread was not intended to start up a raging oil debate. It was for M1 fans.

That said, regarding Project Farm...He used the bearing test. Same thing that Slick 50 used when they got nailed by the Federal Trade Commission and paid fines over false claims regarding reduced engine wear. That's because that test has nothing, zero, nada, to do with what goes on inside an engine. The industry standard sequence IV-A test, among others are much more accurate. In fact, not a single test he does resembles ANY industry or API test. He doesn't have the money or knowhow to implement those tests.

Pick your favorite oil and let's do the bearing test and I'll show you something that will outperform ANY oil you choose. Dish soap. Yes, dish soap. I've got an idea. Why don't you go put dish soap in your engine and see what happens? Then report back to us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting factoid, since we're on both subjects.....

Who owned Slick 50 when they were charged by the FTC for making false wear claims? Give you 3 guesses.......

Quaker State! :CWL::LOL:

Of course SOPUS since bought them out, but this thread has made for a fun, if unintended, history lesson!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This thread was not intended to start up a raging oil debate. It was for M1 fans.

That said, regarding Project Farm...He used the bearing test. Same thing that Slick 50 used when they got nailed by the Federal Trade Commission and paid fines over false claims regarding reduced engine wear. That's because that test has nothing, zero, nada, to do with what goes on inside an engine. The industry standard sequence IV-A test, among others are much more accurate. In fact, not a single test he does resembles ANY industry or API test. He doesn't have the money or knowhow to implement those tests.

Pick your favorite oil and let's do the bearing test and I'll show you something that will outperform ANY oil you choose. Dish soap. Yes, dish soap. I've got an idea. Why don't you go put dish soap in your engine and see what happens? Then report back to us.
Btw project farm actually did test the dish soap.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

So, to celebrate, I put 5 quarts of fresh new M1 AFE 0w20 into my Pentastar, right out in the open, in front of people, with my Forever Wave flag flying from my CB antenna!

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-20/

It hasn't shown up on the labels yet, but the website has been updated to reflect this change.

So all is well and peaceful again inside the sumps of my Wranglers!

Looks like they also added that it "meets or exceeds" SN Plus (2.0L JL) specs now.

The FCA MS6395 reference is under "recommended..." . I don't see any mention of "approval" or "certfication". Anyone have clarification?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they also added that it "meets or exceeds" SN Plus (2.0L JL) specs now.

The FCA MS6395 reference is under "recommended..." . I don't see any mention of "approval" or "certfication". Anyone have clarification?
It is really a set of performance criteria but it amounts to certification because an oil can only be labeled with it upon Stellantis/FCA's approval. I felt the owner's manual was vague enough to run it. Especially with the language about API certification.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I see what you are saying now. I mistakenly thought you were referring to the owner's manual.

I think they are just getting this out there before they get the actual certification. It is coming. And again, Mobil 1 reps have twice told me that M1 in the proper weight would very easily exceed MS6395 criteria.

My opinion is that you can do what I've been doing even without that recommended stamp. Run it with confidence! The stamp will be there soon!
Sponsored