Sponsored

Good/Best Dash Cam?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
We will be doing a few off-road trails soon in Colorado and I want to capture 4K video of the drive. I have a Ram-Mount Trackbar on the dash and a mount for the camera (1/4" stud).

What camera is everyone using these days? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I’ve had a Rexing V1 Dash Cam for about 2 years now. I’ve really enjoyed it and it’s been pretty reliable. Sometimes I have to power cycle it because it thinks I want to wipe the memory card. Power cycle clears the bug every time.

1080p/30 is pretty clear and has the ability to “hard wire” it using a spare fuse slot. I’m using a 10A empty slot and it works great and the wire hides well.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Saw a lot of bad reviews on it (freezing, battery issues). Do you have one? What is your experience with it?
Pretty new. Only used it once so far. No issues.

Sponsored

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
GoPro hero 7 for off road filming. It's an awesome camera. Apeman C450 dash cam for security purposes. It has decent video and parking monitoring mode if hardwired. The hardwire kit plugs right into the OBD connector.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
99% of the 4K dash cams are just 1080p with upscaling to a weird aspect ratio that just shows more sky then sides. so find get a good 1080p dash cam i have a A119v3. now for the best blackvue makes the best dashcams and they cost the most $400 or so for the newest and around $200+ for a few years old models.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I think we’ve got 2 different lines of discussion going on - action cameras that can be dash mounted, like the GoPro, and actual dash cameras designed to record driving and traffic accidents and such. I presumed you meant the former not the latter, correct?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think we’ve got 2 different lines of discussion going on - action cameras that can be dash mounted, like the GoPro, and actual dash cameras designed to record driving and traffic accidents and such. I presumed you meant the former not the latter, correct?
Correct; using a ram mount track mounted camera, I want to film our drive on Red Cone and Mosquito Pass in Colorado.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
99% of the 4K dash cams are just 1080p with upscaling to a weird aspect ratio that just shows more sky then sides. so find get a good 1080p dash cam i have a A119v3. now for the best blackvue makes the best dashcams and they cost the most $400 or so for the newest and around $200+ for a few years old models.
Another vote for the A119 v3. I just picked one up off Amazon and am waiting for the Quadratec 12 Volt Power Adapter to arrive so I can get it installed.

I've got the older A119 Pro in my Camaro and it works pretty well too, although from what I've read, the night time performance of the A119 Pro is not quite as good as the newer A119 v3.

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another vote for the A119 v3. I just picked one up off Amazon and am waiting for the Quadratec 12 Volt Power Adapter to arrive so I can get it installed.
if you have the AUX switches you have a battery and ignition wire in the cab and can use the hard wire kit for the cam and no need for the 12 volt power adapter and you get parking sense also.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you have the AUX switches you have a battery and ignition wire in the cab and can use the hard wire kit for the cam and no need for the 12 volt power adapter and you get parking sense also.
Unfortunately the Aux switches are the only option I'm missing on my JL :(

I did get the upgraded hard wire kit for the A119 v3 that allows for parking mode, but I'm not sure if I'll use that feature. I don't need anything else taxing the stupid Aux battery..........as it is my stop/start only works about once a week or so LOL

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I actually watched this yesterday after seeing someone from this forum post about the BlackVue. I think I'll go with it soon. This is a great review/comparison though.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't need anything else taxing the stupid Aux battery..........as it is my stop/start only works about once a week or so LOL
your batteries are under half you need to get a Battery Minder i got a Noco Genius 2 and it fixed mine took over 24 hours to recharge the 2 batteries but it fixed it

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6B987F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-GC002-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWQ35Y?ref_=ast_sto_dp

best $50 bucks i have ever spent and in the time of Covid 19 with less travel you don't have to just burn gas to keep the batteries topped off.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
your batteries are under half you need to get a Battery Minder i got a Noco Genius 2 and it fixed mine took over 24 hours to recharge the 2 batteries but it fixed it

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W6B987F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-GC002-Eyelet-Terminal-Connector/dp/B004LWQ35Y?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Thanks for the link to the Noco charger. It looks like there a few different options, 2A, 5A and 10A for the charger. I may pick up the 5A version along with the terminal connector just so I have a little extra power to start the Jeep if the batteries do go dead.

best $50 bucks i have ever spent and in the time of Covid 19 with less travel you don't have to just burn gas to keep the batteries topped off.
That's exactly what I've been doing lately, going for a drive every second night or so just to keep the batteries charged, and that seems to get the stop/start working within about 5-10 minutes of driving now.
Sponsored