Going topless and not have anything stolen

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Not sure what year they started but the new JL has an interior Ultrasonic sensor to trigger the alarm if motion is detected inside the cabin. In short, always arm the system by using the lock button on your key fob! Yes I know the honking horn sound does not grab everyone's attention anymore but it does make a would be thief run away.
All of the JL’s have this? So if you lock the door with the window down will the alarm go off if someone sticks their thieving hands inside?
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
My particular situation: I’m doorless/naked as often as the weather allows. I leave my glovebox and center console unlocked, but I have the tuffy insert in the console and lock that. So that counts as secure storage. Last year my only other secure storage was the under floor area in the back, but this year I got the slipstream so that’s certainly kicked things up a notch.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
All of the JL’s have this? So if you lock the door with the window down will the alarm go off if someone sticks their thieving hands inside?
If true my dogs would set off my alarm constantly...although my Lab Pittie is not a fan of unknown arms reaching in, a guy at the Maverick in Monticello UT recently discovered that

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Regardless if you have the top off, I recommend not leaving anything of value in your car. Doors and windows aren't big deterants when a thief wants something.

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Regardless if you have the top off, I recommend not leaving anything of value in your car. Doors and windows aren't big deterants when a thief wants something.
I’m considering getting an aftermarket alarm with proximity sensors. I agree if a thief wants something doors, windows, hardtop, soft top, and/or an alarm are not going to stop them. BUT, I live in an area where several people (A LOT of homeless) walk by my car that is parked on the street several times a day and at all hours during the night. I don’t plan on leaving anything of value in the vehicle, but I also don’t want to go out and find someone sleeping in it. I figured a proximity alarm would help to detour that. But, I’m torn between leaving the doors locked and risk would-be thieves and vandals doing harm or leaving the doors unlocked with the same risks. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Sponsored

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I’m considering getting an aftermarket alarm with proximity sensors. I agree if a thief wants something doors, windows, hardtop, soft top, and/or an alarm are not going to stop them. BUT, I live in an area where several people (A LOT of homeless) walk by my car that is parked on the street several times a day and at all hours during the night. I don’t plan on leaving anything of value in the vehicle, but I also don’t want to go out and find someone sleeping in it. I figured a proximity alarm would help to detour that. But, I’m torn between leaving the doors locked and risk would-be thieves and vandals doing harm or leaving the doors unlocked with the same risks. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
Yea I don't even bother locking my doors most of the time. I know too many people who had windows broken and locks broken with screw drivers. Unfortunately there are a lot of shitty people out there, so might as well assume nothing in your car is safe.

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed the Tuffy security console and rear deck for the back. I leave the doors locked, top down and windows down. Nothing of value outside the security boxes and glove box unlocked.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Ive read this a lot. I dont really agree with this mentality. Sure, if a thief really wants something, theyll take it. But picking between a topless car vs a secured car...theyre going to get into the topless car first.

Youre basically putting up a billboard saying "hey, free stuff here, come check it out!"

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I live is a pretty nice area with low crime. I leave my Jeep top down, doors off (if off) everywhere I go. The mall, work, appointments etc. I never lock it, ever. I just make sure there is nothing valuable inside or that I would miss if it got stolen. Never had a problem in years of doing this.

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Yea I don't even bother locking my doors most of the time. I know too many people who had windows broken and locks broken with screw drivers. Unfortunately there are a lot of shitty people out there, so might as well assume nothing in your car is safe.
I agree. But...
I also don’t want to go out to find a homeless person making camp in my unlocked car, or someone vandalizing the interior just for fun, or releasing my parking brake and letting it roll. People will do mean-spirited things just because.

Sponsored

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I live is a pretty nice area with low crime. I leave my Jeep top down, doors off (if off) everywhere I go. The mall, work, appointments etc. I never lock it, ever. I just make sure there is nothing valuable inside or that I would miss if it got stolen. Never had a problem in years of doing this.
Cool. Must be nice :clap:

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I also have the Tuffy Security Deck and center console safe. Both are very secure. Haven't locked the doors since I bought the JL. This works out pretty well since I have no power door locks. :)

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Here in Northern NJ. Street parking. But I can see NY from where I live. Do a crime search it is common. I go topless if the weather allows. I make stops at the supermarket, for food. public spots/metered spots. I just try to stay away. I don't have power locks or an alarm. I just put it back on in the evening. It's going to relate to where you live mostly. Second the risk people are willing to take in your area. If I had my Jeep in the area I grew up in I am sure I would have more to be concerned about. Keep it clean, keep the doors locked, the glove box and center console unlocked. I keep my vehicle information in the trunk. If I get pulled over I can explain as to where it is and make any officer more relaxed knowing I have the soft top. My issue would be replacing said information if it were to go missing. Extra steps I shouldn't have to take. Just be aware, and keep it close to home. Make friends with your neighbors. Make sure they see you coming and going removing the doors and all.

Edit* An alarm would just seem to add more complications.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
Are they any options for a locking lid for the rear storage cubby in the cargo are floor?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Are they any options for a locking lid for the rear storage cubby in the cargo are floor?
That cubby in the back is locked and inaccessible when your tailgate is locked.
Sponsored