Going to test drive Rubicon vs Sahara today need some opinions

Wolfie88

First Name
Sheila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4XE
Hi! This is what I am going to do. Did you add any spacers?
Sponsored

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Hello all I'm new here. I've had a 1999 TJ that I sold about 3 years ago so im not new to Wranglers but this will be my first daily driver. My wrangler was a second car and I had an Acura MDX as a primary. Used the wrangler for occasional off roading and kept it down at the shore house with top and doors off mostly just for cruising down there. So fast forward and two kids later I miss my Jeep. Been reading reading reviews how these are so much more improved on the pavement Im considering getting one as my primary car. Couple questions I have are: I'm used to AWD from driving the MDX and my current infiniti QX80 is the Sahara worth getting over the Rubicon just for that? I never drove the jeep in heavy rain and im worried about having a rear wheel drive all the time now especially with kids. Also if anyone has had both can they comment on the ride quality on highway driving vs Sahara and Rubicon. I will find out a little today but a little test drive isn't going to tell me much. Is the Rubicon much rougher ride? I don't see myself off roading much especially with kids now but I just love the Rubicon look and I will be changing the Sahara wheels and tires anyway so might as well just get the rubicon. Im just really apprehensive going from AWD to 2WD as a daily driver. Any thoughts will be appreciated thanks.
Not sure if it is available in the Rubicon, but I have a 2019 Unlimited Sahara with Select trac, which is essentially all wheel drive. It is a full time four wheel drive that is essentially an all wheel drive, so I use that in wet weather, snow, and other slippery conditions - but when I drive on the beach, I need to use the part-time four wheel drive, which is normal 4 wheel drive (basically two wheel that shifts power as needed). I got lots of crap when I bought it, but I absolutely love it - in bad weather I get the peace of mind of using it at any highway speed (and I'm talking 80-90 mph), and I haven't noticed any significant difference in mileage using it. Certainly give it a look, I assume they still offer it as an option.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
Since someone resurrected a 3 year old thread I guess I'll join in. I'd like to hear some thoughts on the nimbleness or responsive feel of the Rubicon vs non-Rubicon wranglers.

I had an 05 TJ X and then went to a 06 LJ Rubicon. I did this for the off road ability of the Rubicon and never had any regrets since I've been modding and wheeling it hard ever since. The one regret I did have was that I lost the fun feel I got from driving the X. It was lighter, smaller street tires and was a blast to drive around town. When I got the Rubicon I immediately noticed the difference as it was a heavier rig with the stock off-road tires and just felt sluggish compared to the X, even with the 4.11 gearing. As I'm in the market again for a new Jeep I'm wondering if there is still a pronounced difference between the Rubicon and others as far as nimble and responsive on road feeling.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Since someone resurrected a 3 year old thread I guess I'll join in. I'd like to hear some thoughts on the nimbleness or responsive feel of the Rubicon vs non-Rubicon wranglers.

I had an 05 TJ X and then went to a 06 LJ Rubicon. I did this for the off road ability of the Rubicon and never had any regrets since I've been modding and wheeling it hard ever since. The one regret I did have was that I lost the fun feel I got from driving the X. It was lighter, smaller street tires and was a blast to drive around town. When I got the Rubicon I immediately noticed the difference as it was a heavier rig with the stock off-road tires and just felt sluggish compared to the X, even with the 4.11 gearing. As I'm in the market again for a new Jeep I'm wondering if there is still a pronounced difference between the Rubicon and others as far as nimble and responsive on road feeling.
It's more than Rubicon verses X. The 2.0 drives different than the 3.6. Normally Wranglers and nimble would never be used in the same sentence. Lol. One does feel more nimble though. Probably because of the power delivery and torque curve. Personally I feel the 2.0 feels more nimble because it has more torque down lower in the rpm band. The extra torque helps hide he weight of the JL better. I think that will be pretty obvious to most drivers after some time with both engines.

Last edited:

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Stability control systems have improved so much now. If you had a short wheelbased 2 door jeep with 0 traction/stability control and drove highways all the time during winter then yeah, id be worried.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Stability control systems have improved so much now. If you had a short wheelbased 2 door jeep with 0 traction/stability control and drove highways all the time during winter then yeah, id be worried.
I drive in a fair amount of snow during most winters. Not Alberta snow but Chicago is like Toronto. We get lake effect snow. We have gotten some record snowfall in the last 10 years. I have always owned 2-door Wranglers. I drove a '97 TJ for 200K miles. Owned a JK, and JL too. I have never had a issue. Tires on the TJ were mixed of AT and dedicated snow tires for some years. Stock AT tires on both the the JK and JL. Just need to use common sense. Don't tush and leave plenty of time to brake and turn. That's true for any vehicle.

Last edited:

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
When and if I decide on a Wrangler, the only choice is the Rubicon. You will spend way more in labor and parts to get in other models to match the Rubicon in durability and capability.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
When and if I decide on a Wrangler, the only choice is the Rubicon. You will spend way more in labor and parts to get in other models to match the Rubicon in durability and capability.
That is only true if you do extensive rock crawling! Any of the other models are more then capable for probably 95% of the people who off-road that do not rock crawl!! As far as durability look at all the extensive pages dedicated to all the Rubicons getting the complete rear axles replaced all for a stupid sensor!! Many owners in those threads have had 2-3 rear axles replaced again for a stupid faulty sensor how would you like to have to pay for that bill after the warranty expires? So durability I would say any of the other models are way more durable personally..lol.. Next if you took just a base wrangler and we’re going to do nothing but serious hard core rock crawling then it is cheaper to buy that one since they will be throwing in much better axles then the Rubicon has anyway so not sense paying for them. But making a blanket statement that a Rubicon is more durable and has more capability truly depends on what you will using the Jeep for but definitely it is not known for durability..lol

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But making a blanket statement that a Rubicon is more durable and has more capability truly depends on what you will using the Jeep for but definitely it is not known for durability..lol
I should quantify my statement by having equal drivers, the Rubicon is going to be more durable and capable. And cost efficient as to cost of fitting a standard Wrangler to the same level.

I live in SoCal like yourself so you you know how harsh the trails can get. I'm sorry but having not been a Rubicon owner I cannot comment on Dana 44 axle replacements due to a sensor.

I have Unitrax nearby. I'm sure they could fix any sensor failure with something more robust when or if a sensor fails outside of warranty.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should quantify my statement by having equal drivers, the Rubicon is going to be more durable and capable. And cost efficient as to cost of fitting a standard Wrangler to the same level.

I live in SoCal like yourself so you you know how harsh the trails can get. I'm sorry but having not been a Rubicon owner I cannot comment on Dana 44 axle replacements due to a sensor.

I have Unitrax nearby. I'm sure they could fix any sensor failure with something more robust when or if a sensor fails outside of warranty.
Here you go there is 37 pages so far it’s completely ridiculous that for a stupid $50 sensor it cannot be replaced Jeep will completely replace the entire rear axle over and over While you are under warranty crazy!! This is the absolute dumbest thing Jeep has ever done for the most capable off road vehicle on the market it’s costing them a fortune to do this all because of a faulty sensor. The sensor cannot be replaced and you cannot buy the sensor from Dana As Jeep will not allow them to sell it again how stupid!! How can you not let them sell and replace just the sensor, NO Jeep decided it’s cheaper to replace the entire axle every time stupid is as stupid does I guess..lol..But you do know this is why they keep raising the prices to pay for this bad engineering on their part so we all are paying for this poor idiotic design…lol
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-axle-locker-system”-light-on.13241/page-37

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap!! That does suck!! Good information. Thank you.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This issue has turned me off so much that I may just order the base Willys with the cool retro roll up windows and or locks you have to push with your hand to lock! Yes maybe a little inconvenient but personally it’s cool at the same time…and my kids love the roll up windows too!! I don’t plan on doing any major rock crawling anyway but if and when I do more then I can upgrade the axles and save money. Either way I would be paying for a Lift, wheels and tires, bumpers and a winch along with slider steps No matter which one we get Rubicon or base.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Here you go there is 37 pages so far it’s completely ridiculous that for a stupid $50 sensor it cannot be replaced Jeep will completely replace the entire rear axle over and over While you are under warranty crazy!! This is the absolute dumbest thing Jeep has ever done for the most capable off road vehicle on the market it’s costing them a fortune to do this all because of a faulty sensor. The sensor cannot be replaced and you cannot buy the sensor from Dana As Jeep will not allow them to sell it again how stupid!! How can you not let them sell and replace just the sensor, NO Jeep decided it’s cheaper to replace the entire axle every time stupid is as stupid does I guess..lol..But you do know this is why they keep raising the prices to pay for this bad engineering on their part so we all are paying for this poor idiotic design…lol
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/“service-axle-locker-system”-light-on.13241/page-37
Seriously, THIS is your beef with the Rubicon? I potted my locker sensors for $25 in materials plus fresh synthetic lubes. Mine will never have the sensor problem, fixed it before lunch one day.

The Rubicon features are good for ALL off road use. It has a lift and bigger tires. It can take 35 inch tires with zero mods, for looks or off road. The swaybar disco makes it ride smoother off road everywhere. The axles are beefier. You do not have to be a rock crawler to enjoy the substantial benefits for the Rubicon package, and your cherry picked reliability issue has an easy, proven fix.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seriously, THIS is your beef with the Rubicon? I potted my locker sensors for $25 in materials plus fresh synthetic lubes. Mine will never have the sensor problem, fixed it before lunch one day.

The Rubicon features are good for ALL off road use. It has a lift and bigger tires. It can take 35 inch tires with zero mods, for looks or off road. The swaybar disco makes it ride smoother off road everywhere. The axles are beefier. You do not have to be a rock crawler to enjoy the substantial benefits for the Rubicon package, and your cherry picked reliability issue has an easy, proven fix.
Yes it’s fixed for now but what are you going to do when and if your potted sensor fails? You can’t buy another sensor and when you bring it into Jeep to see if they will fix it they will deny your warranty claim because you potted the sensor which again leaves you having to pay for a new rear axle correct?? I read the entire 37 page thread and to me I think you would be better off not potting the sensor and let Jeep keep replacing the axles and hope you can buy the sensor in the future! But it would suck since your Jeep will be stuck in service for weeks at a time according to that thread!

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Yes it’s fixed for now but what are you going to do when and if your potted sensor fails? You can’t buy another sensor and when you bring it into Jeep to see if they will fix it they will deny your warranty claim because you potted the sensor which again leaves you having to pay for a new rear axle correct?? I read the entire 37 page thread and to me I think you would be better off not potting the sensor and let Jeep keep replacing the axles and hope you can buy the sensor in the future! But it would suck since your Jeep will be stuck in service for weeks at a time according to that thread!
What am I going to do when a rocker arm prematurely destroys my engine? Fix it? Same with a failed locker sensor. This is a machine, it has multiple potential failure points. The other fix is a simple wiring harness that bypasses the sensor. I think you falsely assume 1) the potted sensor is going to fail and 2) the dealer is going to bother investigating why. People have been running the potted sensors for years now and I have not seen a single reported failure. We know what causes them to fail, oil intrusion. Absent that they should last as long as anything else on the Jeep. The harness also fixes the problem without the need for an axle replacement. It is like you only read the bad parts in that 37 page thread... Pretty sure the solutions are in there too, and not just full axle replacement and warranty coverage paranoia.

So there are two relatively simple and easy solutions for the locker sensor. I think the Tazer programmer is a third. You are trying really hard to make a mountain from a mole hill here.
Sponsored